- Jeremy Corbyn Rickrolls everyone ahead of British election Today 10:18 AM
- Trisha Paytas denies accidentally exposing herself on TikTok Today 10:04 AM
- Report: Barr wants tech antitrust probe wrapped up in 2020 Today 9:59 AM
- ‘Zybourne Clock’ original art is selling for over $4,000 on eBay Today 9:11 AM
- What is TikTok famous club, and can you trust it? Today 9:03 AM
- ‘John Wick 4’ and ‘The Matrix 4,’ both starring Keanu Reeves, will come out on the same day Today 8:54 AM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 15: It’s Tannehill’s world Today 8:45 AM
- Trump mocks Greta Thunberg over ‘person of the year’ win Today 7:55 AM
- Temple student refers to Philly as the ‘ghetto’ in ‘unacceptable’ TikTok Today 7:52 AM
- The decade the hucksters overran the halls of power Today 6:30 AM
- Ninja mocked for not knowing how to make a sandwich Wednesday 9:30 PM
- Marvel comics writer discusses misogyny in the industry Wednesday 9:09 PM
- TikTok conspiracy theorists think Juice WRLD is still alive Wednesday 7:03 PM
- Conservatives are protesting YouTube’s new harassment rules Wednesday 5:36 PM
- YouTuber’s ‘creepy’ comment about Taylor Swift’s eggs gets ratioed Wednesday 5:31 PM
Senator Ted Cruz (R-Texas) was chased out of Washington, D.C. restaurant Fiola Monday night by a group of protesters shouting “we believe survivors,” referencing the recent spate of allegations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.
The Senate Judiciary Committee, which Cruz sits on, will hear testimony from one of Kavanaugh’s accusers on Thursday.
A video posted by Smash Racism DC depicting protesters following Cruz through the restaurant quickly went viral and sparked a conversation online about propriety when it comes to protesting.
The first video shows Cruz and his wife, Heidi, trying to find their seats while a woman, who says she is a survivor of sexual assault, questions him on his Kavanaugh stance.
“Hi, I’d love to talk to you about Brett Kavanaugh tonight,” the woman begins the video, focusing the camera more on Heidi than him. “I know that you are very close friends with Mr. Kavanaugh, do you believe survivors, sir?”
When she pressed him on his position, Cruz rounded the table to shake her hand.
“God bless you ma’am,” Cruz said. The woman filming responded with, “Bless you as well. I really appreciate you,” before informing them that as a survivor herself, she believes all survivors.
“There are now three people that have come forward,” she continued, “and who have said that Brett Kavanaugh has attacked them. I know that you’re close friends with him, did you talk to him about that?”
Cruz and his wife quickly realized that the protesters did not intend to leave them to eat their meals without an answer to their questions, so the couple headed for the exit. The second video depicts the two trying to make their way through the chanting crowd. Cruz asked them to make way for his wife as they passed through the line of increasingly enthusiastic protesters, who continued shouts of “we believe survivors.”
The past year has seen a sharp rise in public confrontations of Trump officials. Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen was confronted at dinner over the summer with shouts of “shame” in the wake of the child separation policy put in place by the administration, and former EPA Director Scott Pruitt cited protests against his family in his resignation letter.
The video quickly went viral, as people on both sides of the aisle commented on the protest.
Sen. Ted Cruz was apparently chased out of a DC restaurant last night. Let’s chase him out of the Senate next. And then the country.— S.S.Adler (@SSAC137) September 25, 2018
Others criticized the behavior as “heckling.”
So Ted Cruz was heckled out of a DC restaurant by leftists screaming “We believe survivors” in another Maxine Waters endorsed stunt. I wish I was running for office, I wouldn’t leave if they started chanting. I’d pull out my phone and Periscope them as I ate my meal! Deranged!— Joey Mannarino (@Montemiletto93) September 25, 2018
This DC Restaurant situation involving Sen. Ted Cruz reminds me of just how little and pathetic democrats are.— Roger (@_R0GER__) September 25, 2018
The democratic party is the party of violence, shamefulness and degeneracy.
Ted Cruz heckled by radicals in DC restaurant:This group represent precisely how Nazis act there act of intimidation are acts of cowards who only hunt in packs. Not one of them have any courage. But all should stand convicted of racism against people of one political view.— Greg Rand (@GregRand3) September 25, 2018
Staff asked the protesters to leave at the close of the video, a request which they appeared to obey.
Cruz is running for re-election in the fall, trying to hold on to the Senate seat he has occupied since 2013 against Democratic challenger Beto O’Rourke.
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.