- Does ‘Avengers: Endgame’ have a post-credits scene? 7 Months Ago
- Sling TV Latino es esencial para quienes están hartos de la televisión por cable Today 5:00 AM
- Daenerys’ passive-aggressive smile is a very relatable meme Tuesday 11:18 PM
- Kentucky food truck repurposes ‘LGBTQ’ to support Trump, BBQ Tuesday 8:47 PM
- Trump complains about his Twitter follower count to Jack Dorsey Tuesday 6:34 PM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ sticks the devastating landing—and gives you time to grieve Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Teen hits Apple with $1 billion lawsuit over alleged face recognition arrest Tuesday 4:48 PM
- John Cornyn tried to attack Patton Oswalt for his old tweets and failed miserably Tuesday 4:29 PM
- Logan Paul is selling a pillow of his dead dog—for a good cause Tuesday 4:04 PM
- Study: Too much Netflix, not enough ‘chill’ Tuesday 3:36 PM
- Pete Buttigieg under fire for saying incarcerated Americans shouldn’t be allowed to vote Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Vine’s co-founder is beta testing a new app called Byte Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Report: Joe Biden’s first 2020 fundraiser will be with a Comcast executive Tuesday 2:49 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sabrina’ appears to have an art-copying problem (updated) Tuesday 2:47 PM
- People are crying over these cats’ window-sill romance Tuesday 2:27 PM
Ted Cruz busted looking at photo of Beto O’Rourke on his phone—and Twitter loves it
Clearly many people online can relate to looking at pictures of O’Rourke on their phones.
Photos of Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) looking at a photo of his Democratic challenger Rep. Beto O’Rourke have sent the internet into yet another frenzy in a race that has, so far, produced numerous meme-able moments.
The race between O’Rourke and Cruz has intensified in recent weeks, with recent polls showing the incumbent senator leading his challenger by just 4.5 points, according to Real Clear Politics. With the race so close and grabbing so much attention, it has been at the center of the political world.
Cruz’s campaign has attacked the Democrat for cursing too much and has been criticized for taking comments he’s made about flag burning out of context. The Texas Republican party also tried to use an old mug shot of O’Rourke to drum up support for Cruz, which backfired immediately.
The senator has also been criticized for attacking O’Rourke’s nickname despite using one himself.
But the latest internet attention-grabbing moment of the race is maybe the best. It came on Tuesday morning, when Cruz was spotted looking at a photo of O’Rourke on his phone while on a plane.
Per Politico: Ted Cruz was spotted on his phone on a flight back from DC looking at a photo of Beto O'Rourke.
— andrew kaczynski (@KFILE) September 25, 2018
It’s not shocking that they drew the attention of people on Twitter, who quickly cracked jokes at the senator’s expense.
Although, to be fair, it looks like the senator may have just been scrolling past a photo of his Democratic challenger.
"He's not WAY hotter, is he?" https://t.co/gFuPHCVkuf
— Brian Beutler (@brianbeutler) September 25, 2018
The only time I have ever related to Ted Cruz https://t.co/R0alpCs11Z
— Caroline Moss (@socarolinesays) September 25, 2018
I mean, it's important to know your future Senator, right? https://t.co/kIi6hPgkrP
— Bram De Buyser (@chton) September 25, 2018
This is actually kind of sad. We've all been there Ted. It sucks when everyone loves the cool kid more. I feel you. https://t.co/dbS9mdeTKX
— Karin Robinson (@karinjr) September 25, 2018
Someone shouted at him in a DC restaurant last night that Beto was better looking (not joking). Guess that stuck, more than the “We believe survivors!” chant. https://t.co/0BVgAsia7p
— rebkah howard (@pink_funk) September 25, 2018
*Johnny Cash singing Hurt* https://t.co/VH8P4JfSrL
— Reviewer #2 ✊🌹 (@oligopistos) September 25, 2018
hello darkness my old friend https://t.co/Hf3bnktR4y
— Elizabeth Bruenig (@ebruenig) September 25, 2018
No judgement here – who among us isn't looking at pictures of Beto on our phones? https://t.co/6Nh9wDWJwb
— Farbz (@lfarbz) September 25, 2018
I mean, I have a crush on @BetoORourke, too…
— vT Xanatos (Zane Marshall) (@vTXanatos) September 25, 2018
Just a night before, Cruz was chased out of a D.C. restaurant by protestors, who at one point declared O’Rourke “hotter.”
Cruz may have just been wondering if they were right.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).