- Gmail’s email filtering may affect what candidate emails you are seeing 4 Weeks Ago
- Woman shares aftermath of domestic abuse: ‘This is only to raise awareness’ Today 10:40 AM
- Skai Jackson gets restraining order against Bhad Bhabie after death threat Today 10:19 AM
- Taylor Swift shades Scooter Braun in ‘The Man’ video Today 10:15 AM
- Porn stars are lining up behind Bernie Sanders Today 10:10 AM
- YouTube mom says she ‘beat’ her 2-year-old daughter for ruining her makeup kit Today 10:02 AM
- Ajit Pai’s net neutrality victory lap comes as his own repeal is under review Today 9:20 AM
- Alissa Violet is in Italy—and fans are worried she’ll get coronavirus Today 9:19 AM
- Bernie or Barry? Garth Brooks’ Sanders jersey sparks online panic Today 8:42 AM
- Netflix series ‘Followers’ is a visual treat—but lacks a clear narrative Today 6:00 AM
- Influencer got trapped under ice for TikTok clout, ‘came close to dying’ Thursday 7:59 PM
- #BernieBruh puts new spin on ‘Bernie Bro’ label, showcases support among Black voters Thursday 6:58 PM
- Camila María Concepcíon, trans activist and Netflix writer, dies at 28 Thursday 5:46 PM
- Chrissy Teigen calls out fan who made weird comment about her daughter’s feet Thursday 4:57 PM
- TikTok’s ‘clean queen’ says videos are helping her figure out ‘adulting’ Thursday 4:12 PM
Given how much of a slog last year’s Super Bowl was—a 13-3 bore between the Patriots and Rams—any bit of entertainment would have been considered a marked improvement.
But this year did one better, delivering a genuinely enjoyable game, with the Chiefs mounting an impressive fourth-quarter comeback. And it also had halftime show that was unfathomably better than Adam Levine’s tired dancing.
Jennifer Lopez and Shakira put together a truly thrilling performance, invigorating and well-paced, that received almost universal praise online.
Except for the folks at Breitbart, the center of conservative media, who deemed it too horny, and called it a “strip show.”
Highlighting the age of Shakira and J-Lo for some reason, Breitbart deemed the show the “XXXFL” thanks to its “pole dancing, crotch grabbing, tounge waving” and having the audacity to do it all on a Venus symbol.
Heavens to Betsy.
That these folks couldn’t handle a little hotness from some adult women at halftime made them the target of internet mockery.
“Breitbart seems pretty worked up over the halftime show yet it supports a known sexual assailant famous for paying off porn stars he’s shagged,” wrote Tia Barracini.
Breitbart seems pretty worked up over the halftime show yet it supports a known sexual assailant famous for paying off porn stars he’s shagged. https://t.co/rgB8hyRd6q— 𝕋𝕚𝕒 𝔹𝕒𝕣𝕣𝕒𝕔𝕚𝕟𝕚 (@TiaBarracini) February 3, 2020
So conservatives are pivoting from “Why do Muslims FORCE their women to cover up?!” to “Look at these jezebels showing all that skin!!”— Marbles McGillicuddy (@RCSez) February 3, 2020
Cool, cool, you guys just hate everything. https://t.co/7VUDxjP8jH
They don’t support “hyper-sexual” entertainers, but they sure are ok with “grabbing them by pussy” and sexual assaulting little boys and little girls. https://t.co/1OQnZOvPED— Shawn Richardson (@never_mind2019) February 3, 2020
Another conservative site, the Gateway Pundit, called it “Pole dancing and porn,” adding that it was “trashy,” saying “the pole dancing and crotch shots during the halftime show on Sunday left viewers in shock.”
However, there was one leading conservative voice who was willing to declare the show to his liking.
“Best Super Bowl half time show ever,” wrote former presidential hopeful and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.
Best Super Bowl half time show ever.— Jeb Bush (@JebBush) February 3, 2020
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]