- Rotten Tomatoes wants to see your ticket stub to leave a verified review 1 Year Ago
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie delayed to 2020 to fix his look 1 Year Ago
- ‘Swamp Thing’ gets off to a promising start, but can it tell a convincing love story? 1 Year Ago
- ‘Falling on deaf ears’: ‘Queer Eye’ star sparks conversation about ableist idioms Today 11:15 AM
- Parents are spending thousands on YouTube camps that teach kids how to be famous Today 10:43 AM
- In season 2 of ‘She’s Gotta Have It,’ Spike Lee remains unapologetically himself Today 10:36 AM
- Trump selling Pride shirts is a grotesque insult to the LGBTQ community Today 10:27 AM
- Logan Paul is being mocked for pulling out of slapping competition Today 9:57 AM
- 47 House Democrats sign criticized net neutrality working group letter Today 9:17 AM
- How ‘and I oop’ became the perfect reaction meme for shocking developments Today 8:47 AM
- Netflix’s ‘The Perfection’ is a totally unhinged, WTF horror film Today 8:00 AM
- ‘After Maria’ looks at the long road to recovery after Hurricane Maria Today 7:30 AM
- ‘Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic’ movie is reportedly in the works Today 7:04 AM
- Why do conservatives hate Ocasio-Cortez’s community garden? Today 6:30 AM
- What happens to Hawkeye’s Disney+ spinoff after ‘Avengers: Endgame’? Today 6:30 AM
Coral Springs Talk/Flickr (CC-BY)
The shooting took place in Parkland, Florida.
Seventeen people were killed and more wounded when a gunman opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.
Authorities identified the shooter as Nikolas Cruz.
Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said 17 people were killed during the shooting. Twelve people were killed inside the school, two people were killed just outside the school, one person was killed on a nearby road, and two people died at the hospital. Israel said he believed Cruz used an AR-15 rifle.
Israel said some victims are still undergoing surgery at local hospitals.
The FBI and the Broward County Sheriff’s Department are investigating the crime scene and investigators are “dissecting” Cruz’s social media and websites. Cruz was charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder on Thursday.
Aerial footage from the school showed a number of people being treated for injuries on the ground outside of the school, CNN reports as students posted about sheltering in place.
— CBS News (@CBSNews) February 14, 2018
My school is being shot up and I am locked inside. I’m fucking scared right now. pic.twitter.com/mjiEmPvGNb
— Aidan Minoff (@TheCaptainAidan) February 14, 2018
Israel confirmed the Cruz is not a current student but attended the school in the past. The suspect is believed to be approximately 18 years old.
"It's catastrophic. There really are no words." – Sheriff Israel
— Broward Sheriff (@browardsheriff) February 14, 2018
According to a math teacher, Cruz has previously been banned from being on campus with a backpack.
Math teacher of the suspected Florida school shooter says “we were told last year that he wasn’t allowed on campus with a backpack on him … There were problems with him last year threatening students, and I guess he was asked to leave campus.” https://t.co/D64QpD9ZUB
— Matt Pearce 🦅 (@mattdpearce) February 14, 2018
The Coral Springs Police Department said students were asked to remain barricaded inside the school and that police were still clearing the school as of 4pm CT.
A reporter for CBS Miami spoke with a student via text message who said there was a “really loud noise” and students were “crying in the closet.”
#BSO is working a developing incident regarding a report of active shooter located at 5901 Pine Island Rd, Parkland. Here's what we know so far: deputies are responding to reports of a shooting at Stoneman Douglas High. There are reports of victims. PIO will be on scene 3:15pm.
— Broward Sheriff (@browardsheriff) February 14, 2018
A student told WSVN they heard a fire alarm for the second time on Wednesday. When they were walking down a stairwell they heard gunshots. The student said her teacher tried to lock the door and was shot when he was closing the door.
“The door was left open the whole time,” she said, later describing the scene as the shooter was nearby: “As he walked by the door was open. He could have walked by at any time. We just had to be as quiet as possible.”
Student says teacher died trying to save students pic.twitter.com/ajiqTmarlt
— WSVN 7 News (@wsvn) February 14, 2018
President Donald Trump is aware of the shooting.
“The President has been made aware of the school shooting in Florida. We are monitoring the situation. Our thoughts and prayers are with those affected,” the White House said in a statement.
Trump also tweeted about the incident shortly before 3pm CT.
Just spoke to Governor Rick Scott. We are working closely with law enforcement on the terrible Florida school shooting.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 14, 2018
In a statement, Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said that “We continue to keep the victims, and their friends and family, in our thoughts and prayers.”
This is a developing story and will be updated.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).