- ‘Watchmen’ website expands what you know about its alt-history 1 Month Ago
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 8: Mark Walton szn 1 Month Ago
- Venmo’s first-ever credit card to launch in 2020 1 Month Ago
- Wet Kylo Ren may turn everyone to the dark side Today 3:15 PM
- Man allegedly targeted trans women on dating app, robbed them at knifepoint Today 3:02 PM
- Researchers expose how Amazon Echo and Google Home can steal passwords Today 2:47 PM
- Facebook removing Instagram Story filters that mimic plastic surgery Today 2:16 PM
- Mom solves ‘ghost baby’ image mystery after viral post Today 1:23 PM
- Elon Musk tweeted ‘through space’ Today 1:16 PM
- Don’t want a Fitbit? These step tracker apps got you covered Today 12:51 PM
- Protesters sing ‘Baby Shark’ to soothe frightened toddler Today 12:47 PM
- Who is Babu Frik, the adorable, teeny mechanic from ‘Rise of Skywalker’? Today 12:36 PM
- Senators push for social media data portability Today 12:11 PM
- ‘Stage Fright’ is a therapeutic lens into Jenny Slate’s weird world Today 11:34 AM
- Congressmen call on Twitter to shut down accounts for Hamas, Hezbollah Today 11:12 AM
In a tweet Thursday about some standard White House personnel moves—Mike Pence getting a new spokesperson after his left to join President Donald Trump—Washington Post reporter Nick Miroff dropped a tidbit that left the internet unsettled.
Pence’s new press secretary Katie Waldman, who served under former Department of Homeland Security head Kirstjen Nielsen, is dating Trump advisor Stephen Miller.
While it’s not uncommon for people in similar fields to date, Miller is reviled by those on the left for his views on immigration and is considered the Trump administration’s biggest hardliner and resident xenophobe.
He’s insisted the Statue of Liberty doesn’t welcome immigrants, thrown a tantrum on national television, been accused of out-and-out white nationalism, and gone on the Sunday shows with a horrific hair situation.
Pence has hired Katie Waldman, 27, to be his new press secretary, per NBC. She was a spokesperson for DHS under Nielsen, then comms director for Sen McSally. Also worth noting: Waldman is dating Stephen Miller https://t.co/ESjkw3fbyC— Nick Miroff (@NickMiroff) September 19, 2019
But now he has a girlfriend, and it’s making people upset.
Someone is dating Stephen Miller. Guess the Trump admin wasn’t bluffing when they said they were bringing back torture.— Adam Best (@adamcbest) September 19, 2019
Wait, someone is dating Stephen Miller?— Elizabeth C. McLaughlin (@ECMcLaughlin) September 19, 2019
How much do you have to hate yourself/America to date America’s most powerful fascist? https://t.co/WxmIJks1mp
My instant reaction to the phrase, "is dating Stephen Miller.." pic.twitter.com/geuF7RRCmM— Dani Cantle (@DaniDooRight55) September 19, 2019
Good lord. Someone is actually dating Stephen Miller? There have to be easier ways. https://t.co/EkIBV1f0eD— Helen Kennedy (@HelenKennedy) September 19, 2019
“Dating Stephen Miller”— Steve Redmond (@sjredmond) September 19, 2019
That sounds like the title of a John Carpenter horror film.
Interestingly, Waldman served under Nielsen, who Miller forced out for being weak on immigration.
Maybe they’re made for each other?
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]