- Fortnite streamer Tfue sues gaming organization FaZe Clan over contract dispute Today 12:28 AM
- Report finds some users can’t opt out of Facebook’s face recognition Monday 7:27 PM
- Get emotional over this real-life pastor baptizing an anime girl in virtual reality Monday 6:53 PM
- Twitter wants to know what Jack in the Box did to offend Kim Kardashian Monday 6:38 PM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ meme claims King’s Landing is an ‘inside job’ Monday 6:06 PM
- Report: Personal data of 49 million Instagram influencers exposed online Monday 4:57 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 trailer teases a wet, hot American summer Monday 4:02 PM
- What Daenerys’ biggest ‘Game of Thrones’ scenes have in common with Nazi propaganda Monday 3:12 PM
- Here’s what’s coming to Amazon Prime in June Monday 2:11 PM
- Where did Jon Snow go? Unpacking the ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Monday 2:04 PM
- So, did anyone actually win ‘Game of Thrones’? Monday 1:29 PM
- The surprising religious subtext of ‘John Wick: Chapter 3’ Monday 12:53 PM
- Robin Arryn got hot—and the internet is seriously shook Monday 12:40 PM
- Tana Mongeau is going to VidCon a year after TanaCon disaster Monday 12:12 PM
- What have 2020 Democrats said about Alabama’s abortion ban? Monday 11:36 AM
No, Spectrum didn’t shut off its internet to censor Trump’s speech
The company says there were no ‘major outages’ last night.
Right-wing activist Laura Loomer highlighted an outage map of cable provider Charter Spectrum on Tuesday, noting that the apparent outages occurred just before President Donald Trump was making an Oval Office address about the country’s southern border.
“BREAKING: Spectrum has announced a major cable outage across the country just 1 hour before President Donald Trump is supposed to address the nation about the immigration crisis and the need to build the wall,” she wrote on Instagram. “What are the odds? Interesting how the outage is in all major cities and border states. #BuildTheWall.”
The post appears to direct people to a downdetector.com map, which—in part—detects alleged outages using Twitter posts, according to its website. In its disclaimer, DownDetector says it does “not claim that a company is suffering from an outage or any other kind of problem.”
DownDetector has no affiliation with Spectrum or other services.
View this post on Instagram
BREAKING: Spectrum has announced a major cable outage across the country just 1 hour before President Donald Trump is supposed to address the nation about the immigration crisis and the need to build the wall. What are the odds? Interesting how the outage is in all major cities and border states. #BuildTheWall
A post shared by Laura Loomer (@loomered) on
The post was soon picked up by right-wing website the Gateway Pundit, which led to people suspecting something nefarious was happening with the cable provider.
— victor rodriguez (@vjr97) January 9, 2019
Get the FCC involved.
— Sam (@rriz) January 9, 2019
How odd that @GetSpectrum would have an outage so conveniently timed with @realDonaldTrump address. That looks like collusion to silence the President doesn’t it? #SpectrumCommies #SpectrumOutage #TrumpAddress pic.twitter.com/ZMcxb3Nmu0
— joemo23, RRT (@joemo23) January 9, 2019
When asked about the alleged outages, a spokesperson for Charter Spectrum told the Daily Dot there were no “major outages” last night.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]