- Report: Florida man raped Texas teen after posing as Instagram celeb Today 12:14 PM
- Lori Loughlin’s daughters, Olivia and Isabella, could be banned from USC forever Today 11:46 AM
- ‘Starfish’ is a heartbreaking tale of BFFs, grief, and apocalyptic alien invasions Today 10:35 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 148 for free Today 10:00 AM
- The kids are making scantron memes instead of studying Today 9:29 AM
- Every installment of Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark,’ ranked Today 6:00 AM
- The internet is mocking Robert Mueller’s report deadline Friday 7:53 PM
- Instagram blocks some anti-vax hashtags—but still has far to go Friday 6:20 PM
- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Friday 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Friday 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Friday 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Friday 12:18 PM
- ‘The Dirt’ offers a sanitized history of Mötley Crüe—but why? Friday 11:42 AM
- ‘The Dirt’ director Jeff Tremaine on Mötley Crüe’s long, difficult road to Netflix Friday 11:30 AM
- Here’s video of yet another alleged gunman looking for YouTuber Adam22 Friday 11:09 AM
No, Spectrum didn’t shut off its internet to censor Trump’s speech
The company says there were no ‘major outages’ last night.
Right-wing activist Laura Loomer highlighted an outage map of cable provider Charter Spectrum on Tuesday, noting that the apparent outages occurred just before President Donald Trump was making an Oval Office address about the country’s southern border.
“BREAKING: Spectrum has announced a major cable outage across the country just 1 hour before President Donald Trump is supposed to address the nation about the immigration crisis and the need to build the wall,” she wrote on Instagram. “What are the odds? Interesting how the outage is in all major cities and border states. #BuildTheWall.”
The post appears to direct people to a downdetector.com map, which—in part—detects alleged outages using Twitter posts, according to its website. In its disclaimer, DownDetector says it does “not claim that a company is suffering from an outage or any other kind of problem.”
DownDetector has no affiliation with Spectrum or other services.
View this post on Instagram
BREAKING: Spectrum has announced a major cable outage across the country just 1 hour before President Donald Trump is supposed to address the nation about the immigration crisis and the need to build the wall. What are the odds? Interesting how the outage is in all major cities and border states. #BuildTheWall
A post shared by Laura Loomer (@loomered) on
The post was soon picked up by right-wing website the Gateway Pundit, which led to people suspecting something nefarious was happening with the cable provider.
— victor rodriguez (@vjr97) January 9, 2019
Get the FCC involved.
— Sam (@rriz) January 9, 2019
How odd that @GetSpectrum would have an outage so conveniently timed with @realDonaldTrump address. That looks like collusion to silence the President doesn’t it? #SpectrumCommies #SpectrumOutage #TrumpAddress pic.twitter.com/ZMcxb3Nmu0
— joemo23, RRT (@joemo23) January 9, 2019
When asked about the alleged outages, a spokesperson for Charter Spectrum told the Daily Dot there were no “major outages” last night.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]