- Discord allegedly used to lure teenager boy to Florida trailer housing sex slave Tuesday 7:36 PM
- Millie Bobby Brown has the wrong take on ‘You’ Tuesday 6:42 PM
- Why is Tony Stark missing from the ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ trailer? Tuesday 6:00 PM
- The creepy texts this woman received are eerily similar to Netflix’s ‘You’ Tuesday 4:20 PM
- Roku defends decision to host InfoWars amid online backlash (updated) Tuesday 4:04 PM
- Pump yourself up for ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8 with this masterfully edited hype video Tuesday 2:35 PM
- NBC asked reporters not to call Steve King’s comments ‘racist’ Tuesday 2:21 PM
- Disney files copyright claim on YouTuber’s Darth Vader film—and the creator is devastated Tuesday 2:18 PM
- The ’10 Year Challenge’ isn’t as fun for trans people Tuesday 1:25 PM
- New Nike shoes can be controlled from your smartphone Tuesday 1:06 PM
- Cardi B. jumps on 10-year challenge with high school performance of Lady Gaga song Tuesday 12:28 PM
- Parents, teachers cry foul over Verizon fee hike for popular education app Tuesday 11:57 AM
- Conservative men are kicking and screaming about Gillette’s new toxic masculinity ad Tuesday 11:23 AM
- Mysterio is hot now in the ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ trailer Tuesday 10:53 AM
- Netflix hikes prices on all subscription plans Tuesday 10:48 AM
No, Spectrum didn’t shut off its internet to censor Trump’s speech
The company says there were no ‘major outages’ last night.
Right-wing activist Laura Loomer highlighted an outage map of cable provider Charter Spectrum on Tuesday, noting that the apparent outages occurred just before President Donald Trump was making an Oval Office address about the country’s southern border.
“BREAKING: Spectrum has announced a major cable outage across the country just 1 hour before President Donald Trump is supposed to address the nation about the immigration crisis and the need to build the wall,” she wrote on Instagram. “What are the odds? Interesting how the outage is in all major cities and border states. #BuildTheWall.”
The post appears to direct people to a downdetector.com map, which—in part—detects alleged outages using Twitter posts, according to its website. In its disclaimer, DownDetector says it does “not claim that a company is suffering from an outage or any other kind of problem.”
DownDetector has no affiliation with Spectrum or other services.
View this post on Instagram
BREAKING: Spectrum has announced a major cable outage across the country just 1 hour before President Donald Trump is supposed to address the nation about the immigration crisis and the need to build the wall. What are the odds? Interesting how the outage is in all major cities and border states. #BuildTheWall
A post shared by Laura Loomer (@loomered) on
The post was soon picked up by right-wing website the Gateway Pundit, which led to people suspecting something nefarious was happening with the cable provider.
— victor rodriguez (@vjr97) January 9, 2019
Get the FCC involved.
— Sam (@rriz) January 9, 2019
How odd that @GetSpectrum would have an outage so conveniently timed with @realDonaldTrump address. That looks like collusion to silence the President doesn’t it? #SpectrumCommies #SpectrumOutage #TrumpAddress pic.twitter.com/ZMcxb3Nmu0
— joemo23, RRT (@joemo23) January 9, 2019
When asked about the alleged outages, a spokesperson for Charter Spectrum told the Daily Dot there were no “major outages” last night.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]