- The Genyus Network is a safe social space for stroke survivors 5 Years Ago
- MAGA hat-wearing dog finishes last in ‘Today Show’ fan vote—still named winner 5 Years Ago
- Reddit users share stories of the worst things guests have done in their homes Today 1:25 PM
- WikiLeaks lawyer says Trump offered Assange a pardon—if he’d deny Russian hack Today 1:16 PM
- 6-year-old placed in psychiatric facility for ‘trantrum’ is seen acting calm in body cam footage Today 1:05 PM
- Amy Klobuchar devouring Ivanka Trump is the 2020 vore crossover no one wanted Today 12:32 PM
- Review: Hulu’s ‘Devs’ is a brilliant work of near-future science fiction Today 11:53 AM
- Rapper Pop Smoke dead at 20 Today 11:42 AM
- KSI says he will back Team YouTube if Logan Paul fights Antonio Brown Today 11:29 AM
- William Barr questions whether tech companies should be protected for user content Today 11:10 AM
- The Bloomberg campaign has reached its post-parody zenith Today 10:35 AM
- Ben Affleck explains why he lied about his back tattoo Today 10:28 AM
- Kim Kardashian West accidentally praises Jeff Bezos for threatening to fire employees Today 10:19 AM
- Young Thug blasted for intentionally misgendering Dwayne Wade’s daughter Today 10:17 AM
- Is the Lovers and Friends festival a Fyre fiasco waiting to happen? Today 10:16 AM
The flag, which remains a racially divisive symbol in South Carolina, has been displayed at a monument to the state’s Confederate soldiers on the north side of the State House for 15 years. It previously flew atop the building’s dome. The relocation was part of a compromise in 2000 that led to the passage of the Heritage Act, a law that protects recognized war memorials bearing the Confederate flag, among other types of monuments.
In the 1950s, the battle flag was revived not just as a symbol of resistance to federally mandated desegregation.
— Ed Baptist (@Ed_Baptist) June 18, 2015
The stars and bars was also a symbol of terror: of the violent intimidation of African Americans who dared assert their rights.
— Ed Baptist (@Ed_Baptist) June 18, 2015
In February 2000, then-South Carolina congressman Lindsey Graham—now a U.S. Senator running for president—told the New York Times that he understands why African-Americans despise the flag, but he also sees why others want to keep it around.
”There is a guy out there named Bubba. He grew up when public schools got integrated. He goes to work every day. There are women and African-Americans in the workplace and he’s fine with that, but he thinks the whole world is against him and has rights he doesn’t have. He thinks the flag is the last thing he has going for him and he’s not going to take it down. I don’t want to step on Bubba’s feelings. There are no groups sticking up for the Bubbas of the world.”
There’s something absurd about seeing the Confederate Flag flying at half mast the day after a mass shooting at historic black church.
— Will McAvoy (@WillMcAvoyACN) June 18, 2015
Nine people, including three pastors, a librarian, and a legislator, were gunned down Wednesday evening at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church (AME). Reverend Clementa Pickney, 41, a South Carolina statesman and civil rights leader, was among the deceased. Officials said the ages of the victims ranged from age 26 to 87.
Police arrested 21-year-old Dylann Storm Roof for the shooting on Thursday afternoon. He had been captured on a surveillance camera entering the church roughly an hour before the shooting began. He was later arrested about 250 miles away in Shelby, North Carolina. Both federal and local authorities have labelled the shooting a hate crime.
A bomb threat was called in to the West End Community Center in Greenville, S.C., on Thursday afternoon while they were hosting a vigil for the Emanuel AME shooting victims. Morris Brown AME Church in Charleston was later evacuated as well. Another bomb threat was called into the Charleston County Building, which was also evacuated.
Photo by eyeliam/Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
Dell Cameron was a reporter at the Daily Dot who covered security and politics. In 2015, he revealed the existence of an American hacker on the U.S. government's terrorist watchlist. He is a co-author of the Sabu Files, an award-nominated investigation into the FBI's use of cyber-informants. He became a staff writer at Gizmodo in 2017.