- Review: ‘Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice’ is a cut above the rest Today 8:00 AM
- Where do 2020 Democratic candidates stand on healthcare? Today 7:30 AM
- How to (legally) stream live TV on Kodi Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Delhi Crime’ tackles inequality and women’s rights Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 STP 500 at Martinsville Speedway for free Today 6:00 AM
- These high school theater kids put on a totally awesome ‘Alien’ play Saturday 3:59 PM
- Behold these photos of Elon Musk, but with Elizabeth Holmes’ eyes Saturday 3:11 PM
- Barbra Streisand gets ‘canceled’ over remarks about Michael Jackson’s alleged victims Saturday 2:09 PM
- Report: Florida man raped Texas teen after posing as Instagram celeb Saturday 12:14 PM
- Lori Loughlin’s daughters, Olivia and Isabella, could be banned from USC forever Saturday 11:46 AM
- ‘Starfish’ is a heartbreaking tale of BFFs, grief, and apocalyptic alien invasions Saturday 10:35 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 148 for free Saturday 10:00 AM
- The kids are making scantron memes instead of studying Saturday 9:29 AM
- Every installment of Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark,’ ranked Saturday 6:00 AM
- The internet is mocking Robert Mueller’s report deadline Friday 7:53 PM
Shia LaBeouf took on a white supremacist during his Trump protest livestream
LaBeouf used his own performance art piece as a weapon against racism.
When a white supremacist showed up at Shia LaBeouf‘s new performance art show, LaBeouf used the artwork itself as a defensive weapon.
LaBeouf’s new work, HE WILL NOT DIVIDE US, is an ambitious response to the Trump presidency, created with his longtime collaborators Nastja Säde Rönkkö and Luke Turner. It began on inauguration day and invites members of the public to recite the mantra “He will not divide us” into a webcam, which livestreams day and night.
On Sunday, a white supremacist decided to contribute his own opinions to the webcam. LaBeouf responded by yelling “He will not divide us” in the guy’s face until he fled.
The scene was reminiscent of this viral video from 2015, when an anonymous man used similar tactics to drown out an anti-Semitic preacher in Boston. In this kind of situation, many people argue there is no point in attempting a reasoned debate, because that would imply neo-Nazi values are worthy of discussion. Hence the simple solution of making a lot of noise until they give up.
LaBeouf plans to continue HE WILL NOT DIVIDE US for the next four years, until the end of Donald Trump’s first term in office.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.