- Nick Cannon’s latest Eminem diss is not working out for him 6 Months Ago
- Conservatives want a war on porn. It’s puritanical sex values that need to go Today 7:00 AM
- The year in Meghan McCain news cycles Today 6:30 AM
- Why Tumblr is totally obsessed with 2 characters from Stephen King’s ‘It’ Today 6:00 AM
- Game developer Chucklefish accused of whitewashing characters of color Monday 5:22 PM
- Apple TV’s ‘Hala’ is a silent explosion of a coming-of-age film Monday 5:20 PM
- This new video game apparently lets you play Jesus Monday 4:02 PM
- Golden toilet creator sells world’s most expensive banana—only for another artist to eat it Monday 3:24 PM
- This new Chinese video game lets players attack Hong Kong protesters Monday 3:05 PM
- These TikTok videos that recreate NPC interactions from Skyrim are honestly incredible Monday 2:40 PM
- John Legend defends pro-consent ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ lyrics Monday 2:38 PM
- Video shows UC Berkeley student using racial slurs, making homophobic comments Monday 2:36 PM
- New video reveals Brother Nature instigated sandwich shop fight Monday 2:06 PM
- Lizzo’s thong dress breaks the internet Monday 1:25 PM
- Pixel Buds 2 or Apple AirPods 2: Which are right for you? Monday 1:09 PM
Fox News pundit Sean Hannity criticized remarks reportedly made by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) during his show on Thursday night, saying that her desire to see President Donald Trump “in prison” was “despicable.”
On Wednesday, Politico reported that Pelosi pushed back at House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.) when he asked her to support the House of Representatives starting impeachment proceedings against Trump. Pelosi, according to the report, told Nadler that she didn’t want to see Trump impeached, but rather she wanted to “see him in prison.”
This news didn’t sit well with Hannity, who consistently defends the president on his show. He said the idea of a political opponent being sent to jail was what happens in “Banana Republics” and was “beyond despicable behavior.”
Media Matters posted a video of Hannity’s remarks.
“Speaker Pelosi now apparently telling senior Democrats that she’d like to see Trump behind bars,” he said. “Based on no actual crimes, she wants a political opponent locked up in prison? That happens in banana republics–beyond despicable behavior. And by the way, they would literally turn, in many ways, the USA into a country we no longer recognize.”
Of course, Hannity is well aware of recent instances of politicians calling for their opponents to be sent to prison.
Trump repeatedly used “Lock her up!” as a rallying cry during the 2016 presidential election, referring to former Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton.
He had no vocal criticism of the president’s behavior then.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).