- Woman says Lyft driver tried to kidnap her 1 Year Ago
- Debunking the right-wing conspiracy theories from today’s impeachment hearing Today 4:29 PM
- Maroon 5 approves of the latest TikTok trend Today 3:54 PM
- ‘One month left in the decade’ meme wants to know what you’ve accomplished Today 3:53 PM
- Facebook Pay is the latest way to send your friends money Today 3:31 PM
- Diving into ‘The Mandalorian’s first big shocker Today 3:17 PM
- Disney+ will allow password sharing—to an extent Today 1:12 PM
- Black server says manager refused to discipline coworkers who sent racist receipt Today 12:47 PM
- Who is Jonah Hauer-King, Disney’s new Prince Eric? Today 12:47 PM
- Cut Katherine Langford ‘Avengers: Endgame’ scene lands on Disney+ Today 12:22 PM
- Planned Parenthood app to show abortion-seeking users their nearest options Today 12:21 PM
- ‘The Imagineering Story’ offers touching insight into Walt Disney’s vision Today 11:57 AM
- YouTube mom who was charged with child abuse dead at 48 Today 11:39 AM
- Every Marvel Cinematic Universe movie and show missing from Disney+ (and when they’ll show up) Today 11:35 AM
- HBO Max is planning a ‘Friends’ reunion special Today 11:10 AM
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator Scott Pruitt has resigned from his position amid a number of ethical questions and controversies he’s faced.
President Donald Trump announced Pruitt’s resignation on Twitter on Thursday afternoon, mirroring what he has done with other top administration officials like Rex Tillerson and David Shulkin.
The president said he would be replaced with Deputy EPA Administrator Andrew Wheeler.
“I have accepted the resignation of Scott Pruitt as the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency. Within the Agency Scott has done an outstanding job, and I will always be thankful to him for this. The Senate confirmed Deputy at EPA, Andrew Wheeler, will…” Trump wrote on Twitter. “..on Monday assume duties as the acting Administrator of the EPA. I have no doubt that Andy will continue on with our great and lasting EPA agenda. We have made tremendous progress and the future of the EPA is very bright!”
I have accepted the resignation of Scott Pruitt as the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency. Within the Agency Scott has done an outstanding job, and I will always be thankful to him for this. The Senate confirmed Deputy at EPA, Andrew Wheeler, will...— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 5, 2018
...on Monday assume duties as the acting Administrator of the EPA. I have no doubt that Andy will continue on with our great and lasting EPA agenda. We have made tremendous progress and the future of the EPA is very bright!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 5, 2018
Pruitt has been involved in a number of controversies during his time as the head of the EPA. Democrats began calling for his resignation earlier this year.
Most recently, congressional testimony showed the former EPA administrator asked an aide to help him procure a used Trump International Hotel mattress and had another aide try and help his wife get a Chick-fil-A franchise.
The former administrator—who was denounced by critics for being a climate change denier—was also questioned about his first-class air travel, having his office install a $43,000 soundproof booth, and his connection to a $50 per night condo in Washington D.C. he rented that was linked to an energy lobbying firm.
He was also one of several Trump administration officials who have been confronted by members of the public in recent weeks.
The news of Pruitt’s resignation was met with joy and mockery on Twitter.
Doesn’t look as if Mrs. Pruitt will be getting her Chick-fil-A franchise.— Michael Beschloss (@BeschlossDC) July 5, 2018
Multiple sources inform ThinkProgress that the top candidate to replace Pruitt is a literal smokestack belching mercury vapor.— Ian Millhiser (@imillhiser) July 5, 2018
We captured Scott Pruitt #SecondCivilWar— Aaron (@TheSarcasmShow) July 5, 2018
So, uh, what was the last straw for Pruitt? Was he caught actually robbing the treasury?— Jon Favreau (@jonfavs) July 5, 2018
Scott Pruitt jamming his pockets with EPA cafeteria mayo packets— Simon Maloy (@SimonMaloy) July 5, 2018
Scott Pruitt definitely stealing three laptops and a fax machine as he leaves the EPA— Mike Drucker (@MikeDrucker) July 5, 2018
Congratulations to Scott Pruitt for lasting approximately 50.4 scaramuccis despite the nine or ten various investigations into his corruption.— Charlotte Clymer🏳️🌈 (@cmclymer) July 5, 2018
scott pruitt will be replaced by his deputy, cancer— lvl45 CHAOS POTUS who thinks he's 'infested' (@thetomzone) July 5, 2018
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).