- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority 1 Year Ago
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Today 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Today 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Today 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
- The crushing effects of Trump’s abortion ‘gag rule’ on healthcare Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman Saturday 6:20 AM
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC on ESPN 4: Rafael dos Anjos vs. Leon Edwards Saturday 5:49 AM
Sarah Sanders says Trump is ‘the best negotiator’—and the internet busts a gut
The internet got a good laugh on Friday when White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders called President Donald Trump “the best negotiator at the table,” implying he has the upper hand in an ongoing trade tiff with China.
Trump has declared his intentions to tax Chinese steel and aluminum, and China has retaliated with tariffs on soy and other products.
Press Sec. Sanders tells @jonkarl that Pres. Trump "absolutely" still believes trade wars are easy to win "if he is in charge of those negotiations...he's the best negotiator at the table." https://t.co/XQ7uJkSKKT pic.twitter.com/c0Je4qVInO— ABC News (@ABC) April 6, 2018
People on Twitter wanted to know what table, exactly, Sanders was referring to. And how many negotiators are sitting there?
"He's the best negotiator at the table" if he's the ONLY negotiator at the table. Then, yes.— Kris Moore (@renardgirl) April 6, 2018
Sarah Says: In talks with China, Trump will be "...the best negotiator at the table." The problem is, China won't be sitting at the kids' table. #ifhermouthismoving— George Bufford (@GeorgeBufford) April 6, 2018
Sanders touted Trump’s hand in the yet-unresolved North American Free Trade Agreement as an illustration of his negotiating skills. But people had other examples in mind.
Let’s see how far the “great negotiator” (aka Stable Genius) has gotten us with his promise of a “terrific” replacement for ACA, Gun Control (if they are unstable you just go in and take their guns!), DACA and then, Infrastructure Week. Now he’s working his magic with Tariffs!— CoastalResistance (@traci_altson) April 6, 2018
They were particularly tickled in light of Trump’s negotiations (through his lawyer) with Stormy Daniels, the porn actress who has said she had an affair with the president in 2006. Daniels is suing Trump over the $130,000 settlement that was meant to keep her quiet about the affair ahead of the 2016 presidential election.
Trump denies having an affair with Stormy Daniels. So Trump had a NDA written up and then Cohen paid her $130,000 for no reason. Now they are suing Stormy for breaking the NDA that protected Trump for the non-affair? Do I have this right? Wow, what a great negotiator. 😂😂😂😂 pic.twitter.com/ARUn0NQA9q— Jdarcey (@Jdarcey13Jon) March 27, 2018
Sarah Huckabee Sanders: President Trump is the best negotiator at the table.— nicki 🌊 (@nickiknowsnada) April 6, 2018
Every bank in NYC: 😂
Trump casinos: 😂😂
Trump airlines: 😂😂😂
Trump football: 😂😂😂
Trump University: 😂😂😂😂
Stormy Daniels: 😂😂😂😂😂
It’s yet to be seen how Donald “Best Negotiator” Trump will handle the China tariff situation. Lest the internet forget, this is the same man who once co-authored a book called The Art of the Deal. But given his history, plenty of people are lacking faith in Trump’s diplomacy skills.
At least they’re getting a hearty chuckle out of it.
H/T Huffington Post
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.