- Daenerys’ passive-aggressive smile is a very relatable meme Tuesday 11:18 PM
- Kentucky food truck repurposes ‘LGBTQ’ to support Trump, BBQ Tuesday 8:47 PM
- Trump complains about his Twitter follower count to Jack Dorsey Tuesday 6:34 PM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ sticks the devastating landing—and gives you time to grieve Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Teen hits Apple with $1 billion lawsuit over alleged face recognition arrest Tuesday 4:48 PM
- John Cornyn tried to attack Patton Oswalt for his old tweets and failed miserably Tuesday 4:29 PM
- Logan Paul is selling a pillow of his dead dog—for a good cause Tuesday 4:04 PM
- Study: Too much Netflix, not enough ‘chill’ Tuesday 3:36 PM
- Pete Buttigieg under fire for saying incarcerated Americans shouldn’t be allowed to vote Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Vine’s co-founder is beta testing a new app called Byte Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Report: Joe Biden’s first 2020 fundraiser will be with a Comcast executive Tuesday 2:49 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sabrina’ appears to have an art-copying problem (updated) Tuesday 2:47 PM
- People are crying over these cats’ window-sill romance Tuesday 2:27 PM
- The ‘I’m baby’ meme is all about being comforted Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Parody video totally nails what men are like on Tinder Tuesday 1:57 PM
The White House/YouTube (Public Domain)
The optics ain’t great.
Does @CBSNews know something I don’t about my plans and my future? I was at my daughter’s year-end Kindergarten event and they ran a story about my “plans to leave the WH” without even talking to me. I love my job and am honored to work for @POTUS
— Sarah Sanders (@PressSec) June 14, 2018
The only problem with that? No one believed her.
I can't wait for this to age like the untouched bag of salad in my fridge https://t.co/lSKSVK13YC
— Rachel Fisher (@TheRachelFisher) June 14, 2018
CBS published its report late Wednesday, saying that Sanders had told friends she would be leaving the White House soon. CBS also reported on the possible departure of her deputy, Raj Shah.
And while it’s within Sanders right to challenge the report, her adamant answer to it would probably have a lot more force if it didn’t come in the wake of a week where she and the White House’s credibility was repeatedly challenged the press.
Although this administration has always been a hive of disinformation—including a report this week that said it was deliberately planting false stories to catch leakers (which hey, maybe this was one?)—Sanders’ relationship with the truth came to a head last week over accusations she lied from the White House podium.
Sanders was pressed over a report about the White House counsel’s communication with Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s team, which revealed some statements Sanders made that were inaccurate or misleading. Sanders refused to retract her false statement or apologize for misleading the White House press corps.
Add that to the fact that a number of Trump officials have publicly stated their love of serving the president, only to get the ax a short time later, and no one on Twitter could let Sanders’ denial stand.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders doesn’t explicitly deny the report. https://t.co/u2ag6Nfd33
— Jennifer Jacobs (@JenniferJJacobs) June 14, 2018
For a woman who would literally deny Trump ever met Barron if he asked her to, this is a really bad denial. https://t.co/XxUxiYU6ex
— Brian Tyler Cohen (@briantylercohen) June 14, 2018
Alexa, start a timer. https://t.co/A9dlb7h6Ef
— shauna (@goldengateblond) June 14, 2018
If you had any credibility I’d give you the benefit of the doubt but I don’t believe you Sarah…you’re a lying liar. https://t.co/Kum8wr2v8G
— Kathy Griffin (@kathygriffin) June 14, 2018
Sarah Sanders denying she is leaving the White House a.k.a confirmed Sarah Sanders will be leaving the White House. https://t.co/ozQWzFFFWK
— Jules Suzdaltsev (@jules_su) June 14, 2018
We will update this story with the announcement of Press Secretary Judge Jeanine Pirro in, oh, two weeks.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]