- Instagram revokes Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro’s verified status Wednesday 5:23 PM
- Transgender people suffer when debates over their rights are framed as ‘distractions’ Wednesday 4:57 PM
- Hulu with Live TV just hiked its prices Wednesday 4:05 PM
- Hacker infiltrates Nest cameras to gain PewDiePie subscribers Wednesday 2:37 PM
- YouTube time traveler claims MLK’s granddaughter will be the last U.S. president Wednesday 2:30 PM
- Media coverage of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s Twitch cameo erases Chelsea Manning Wednesday 1:39 PM
- New Alexa skill lets you sing with Queen’s Freddie Mercury Wednesday 1:13 PM
- Netflix is the first streaming platform to join MPAA Wednesday 12:59 PM
- Can you spot an email from a hacker? Wednesday 12:46 PM
- Gina Rodriguez cries over being called anti-Black, gets dragged for ‘fake tears’ Wednesday 12:21 PM
- Boots Riley explains why he got snubbed by the Oscars Wednesday 12:20 PM
- Review: ‘Buffy’ returns with a modern comic book reboot Wednesday 11:47 AM
- You’re about to see a lot more Netflix on your Instagram Wednesday 11:32 AM
- Covington students defend blackface video as ‘school spirit’ Wednesday 11:30 AM
- This YouTuber reportedly filmed himself abusing his cat—and his channel is still active Wednesday 11:18 AM
Sacha Baron Cohen character Ali G returns to praise ‘genuine gangsta’ Trump
‘Yesterday it was proven in de courts dat u iz a crook―respeck!’
Sacha Baron Cohen resurrected his famous Ali G persona on Thursday afternoon to troll President Donald Trump over his legal woes, praising the president as a “genuine gangsta” for “bonin’ all dem porn stars.”
After tweeting an Ali G interview scene with Trump from his 2003 hit show, the British comedian posted the exclusive statement in the unmistakable voice of Ali G via his personal Twitter account.
— Sacha Baron Cohen (@SachaBaronCohen) August 23, 2018
“2 my main man President Ronald Trump, check out when you colluded wiv me a few years ago,” he wrote. “Yesterday it was proven in de courts dat u iz a crook―respeck! U iz a genuine gangsta! And it turns out most of your crew are too innit!”
Ali G is, of course, referring to the double federal conviction on Tuesday of both Trump’s former campaign manager Paul Manafort and his former personal attorney Michael Cohen. The attorney pleaded guilty to paying off two women, presumably at the direction of Trump to influence the 2016 election although he didn’t identify Trump by name.
Impressed by this, Ali G goes on to describe president as the “Suge Knight of world leaderz,” aka the controversial founder of Death Row Records with a lengthy criminal record.
Still, merciless with the satire, Cohen’s fictional character has some serious questions about the payments made to Playboy model Karen McDougal and porn star Stormy Daniels, who Trump is alleged to have had affairs with.
“Why iz you payin dem money to keep quiet about it?” Ali G asks. “We know it aint coz u haz got a tiny dong, u told everyone it woz massive on da telly, and one fing u ain’t, is a liar.”
“Anyway, peace out,” he signs off. “U iz a hinspiration for young people, showing dem u can become President of America without having to give up a life of crime. Bigupyaself O.G.”
Cohen has cleverly dropped the tweets just ahead of Sunday’s season finale for his current show Who Is America?, throughout which he has pranked lawmakers and activists on both sides of the political aisle.
Watch Trump’s 2003 appearance on Da Ali G Show below.
David Gilmour is a reporter who specializes in national politics, internet culture, and technology. He previously covered civil liberties, crime, and politics for Vice.