- Facebook refused to take down this blackface page for four months 1 Year Ago
- Tom Holland rescues fan getting squashed by autograph hounds Tuesday 7:14 PM
- What is incel ‘Chadfishing’? Tuesday 6:36 PM
- Facebook to give France data on users suspected of hate speech Tuesday 5:29 PM
- This 89-year-old man is stunned by all the technology around him—in 1930 Tuesday 5:21 PM
- Wayfair refuses to stop furnishing migrant detention centers Tuesday 4:48 PM
- Woah! How did Keanu Reeves get so small? Tuesday 4:37 PM
- The centrist argument against Sanders’ student loan plan is getting ripped apart Tuesday 4:08 PM
- Jonathan Frakes confirms that you’re right in yet another meme Tuesday 3:56 PM
- Meryl Streep, Ariana Grande set to star in Netflix’s ‘The Prom’ Tuesday 3:35 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ Season 3 goodies are here just in time Tuesday 3:01 PM
- Kim Kardashian’s shapewear line Kimono is already getting called out Tuesday 2:11 PM
- ‘Aggretsuko’ tones down the rage in season 2 Tuesday 1:13 PM
- TikTok is being used to call out predators Tuesday 12:41 PM
- Republican congressman wants to defund PBS over the gay rat wedding Tuesday 12:39 PM
Randy Bryce, a Paul Ryan challenger, arrested at pro-DACA protest
Bryce was one of two people challenging Paul Ryan who were reportedly arrested.
Randy Bryce, a Democrat challenging House Speaker Paul Ryan in the midterm elections later this year, was arrested at a protest supporting the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which expired earlier this week.
DACA, a program enacted during the Obama administration, shields undocumented immigrants who were brought to the United States as children from deportation. President Donald Trump‘s administration announced late last year that they were rescinding the program, leaving Congress until Monday to come up with a new solution. Since then Trump has tried to cast blame on Democrats for inaction on the program despite the fact his administration ended it.
The protest, which took place outside of Ryan’s office in Racine, Wisconsin, involved students walking out of their classes and others who shouted “this is what democracy looks like.” Several protesters locked arms on a main thoroughfare in Racine wearing bright green shirts, the Journal Times reports.
During the protest, Bryce, who gained some notoriety after releasing an ad last year announcing his candidacy, and Cathy Myers, another Democratic congressional candidate hoping to face off against Ryan, were among 25 people arrested, according to a local Patch.
In a statement given to Patch, Bryce’s campaign said they were arrested after sitting “peacefully” in the intersection near of Ryan’s office.
“Randy was arrested with about 20 [sic] other demonstrators in an act of civil disobedience in support a clean Dream Act,” the statement provided to the news outlet read. “Today is the deadline that Trump imposed for Congress to act. As area students demonstrated on the sidewalks, they sat peacefully in the intersection of 6th and Main, near Paul Ryan’s Racine office. After 10 minutes, the police arrested them and placed them in police vans.”
All of those arrested were given a citation and released, WISN12 reported.
— JoCasta Zamarripa (@repjocasta) March 5, 2018
On Monday several other protests were held in support of DACA. While Congress failed to act before the March 5 deadline, it’s possible that lawmakers may try and attach a DACA solution to a spending bill Congress will need to pass by March 23.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).