- Up to 20 states are banding together to probe Facebook, Google 1 Year Ago
- Get your tinker on with the Electronic Games Advent Calendar 1 Year Ago
- Why Joe Biden has big Jeb Bush energy 1 Year Ago
- Trump quotes conspiracy theorist saying he’s the ‘second coming of God’ Today 9:04 AM
- Parkland teens announce massive gun reform proposal Today 9:04 AM
- Here’s how you can get a free palm reading online Today 8:48 AM
- ‘The Matrix 4’ is happening with Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss Today 7:17 AM
- Fantasy football 2019: Your team-by-team NFC preview Today 7:00 AM
- The 10 best science podcasts to teach you about our world Today 6:00 AM
- How to make sure you have access to every Instagram filter Today 6:00 AM
- Trump accuses Jewish Democrats of having ‘great disloyalty’ or a ‘lack of knowledge’ Tuesday 8:02 PM
- 1 million ‘anonymous’ users of popular porn site exposed in breach Tuesday 6:56 PM
- Khloé Kardashian angers followers with a calorie-counting joke about True Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Spider-Man may no longer be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Tuesday 5:28 PM
- Robert De Niro’s company is suing ex-employee for binge-watching Netflix at work Tuesday 4:41 PM
Randy Bryce, a Democrat challenging House Speaker Paul Ryan in the midterm elections later this year, was arrested at a protest supporting the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which expired earlier this week.
DACA, a program enacted during the Obama administration, shields undocumented immigrants who were brought to the United States as children from deportation. President Donald Trump‘s administration announced late last year that they were rescinding the program, leaving Congress until Monday to come up with a new solution. Since then Trump has tried to cast blame on Democrats for inaction on the program despite the fact his administration ended it.
The protest, which took place outside of Ryan’s office in Racine, Wisconsin, involved students walking out of their classes and others who shouted “this is what democracy looks like.” Several protesters locked arms on a main thoroughfare in Racine wearing bright green shirts, the Journal Times reports.
During the protest, Bryce, who gained some notoriety after releasing an ad last year announcing his candidacy, and Cathy Myers, another Democratic congressional candidate hoping to face off against Ryan, were among 25 people arrested, according to a local Patch.
In a statement given to Patch, Bryce’s campaign said they were arrested after sitting “peacefully” in the intersection near of Ryan’s office.
“Randy was arrested with about 20 [sic] other demonstrators in an act of civil disobedience in support a clean Dream Act,” the statement provided to the news outlet read. “Today is the deadline that Trump imposed for Congress to act. As area students demonstrated on the sidewalks, they sat peacefully in the intersection of 6th and Main, near Paul Ryan’s Racine office. After 10 minutes, the police arrested them and placed them in police vans.”
All of those arrested were given a citation and released, WISN12 reported.
On Monday several other protests were held in support of DACA. While Congress failed to act before the March 5 deadline, it’s possible that lawmakers may try and attach a DACA solution to a spending bill Congress will need to pass by March 23.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).