- Andrew Yang upset porn fans with his criticism of Bing Tuesday 10:34 PM
- Kamala Harris really wants Trump kicked off Twitter Tuesday 10:22 PM
- Bernie Sanders jokes he didn’t use medical marijuana before tonight’s debate Tuesday 9:47 PM
- Tulsi Gabbard says she’s not a Russian asset—which is just what a Russian asset would say Tuesday 9:20 PM
- Warren says she doesn’t have a ‘beef with billionaires’ Tuesday 8:59 PM
- Andrew Yang’s Universal Basic Income plan gets support from other candidates Tuesday 8:40 PM
- Christmas creep is real, and it’s all over Tom Steyer’s neck Tuesday 8:05 PM
- Stans are using pictures of Beyoncé to catfish sugar daddies Tuesday 7:18 PM
- Wait, who the heck is Tom Steyer? Tuesday 7:17 PM
- Teacher caught on video in racist rant put on leave without pay Tuesday 5:44 PM
- Pornhub pulls Girls Do Porn videos amid sex trafficking charges Tuesday 4:49 PM
- Gina Rodriguez sings N-word on Instagram story Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Trump Jr. mocked for Hunter Biden tweet about profiting from dad’s name Tuesday 3:58 PM
- All the holiday movies and shows coming to Netflix in 2019 Tuesday 3:48 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 7: The QB blues Tuesday 3:29 PM
In the course of its few short years in existence, Reddit’s most infamous pro-Donald Trump home, r/The_Donald, has been accused repeatedly of racism, xenophobia, misogyny, and violent rhetoric.
It is currently under quarantine for making repeated calls to violence and threats against Oregon Democrats. Other users on the site have repeatedly demanded Reddit remove the site altogether for violating its terms of service.
And in the wake of a mass shooting in El Paso, Texas, by a gunman who railed against a “Hispanic invasion,” and tried to slaughter as many Mexican people as possible, the subreddit Against Hate Subreddits is flagging similar speech from r/The_Donald, where the group found over 50 claims of an “invasion” in just the two weeks prior to the shooting.
A few samples:
“i’m so sick of this asylum bullshit,” wrote one user. “WHAT FUCKING WAR ARE THEY FLEEING? WHAT VIRULENT OUTBREAK ARE THEY ESCAPING? none. it’s a goddamned invasion. they come from a shitty region and failed state to plant their terrible looking flags and endorse the same policies that will make the USA a failed state. die democrats!”
“This is an invasion. When you conquer an area, you put your countries flag on the highest area,” wrote another.
In his blog post, the mass shooter worried Mexican and Latin American immigrants would replace Americans and claimed he was defending his country.
Although the shooter said his views predated Trump, these comments on r/The_Donald show how the president has both enabled and amplified some of the more abhorrent viewpoints, thrusting them into the mainstream.
It’s the reason Reddit currently has r/The_Donald under quarantine, and it’s the reason other users of the site want it gone for good.
- No, Trump isn’t secretly saluting white supremacists with his flag decision
- Tucker Carlson calls white supremacy a ‘hoax’
- Trump said white supremacy should be ‘defeated.’ What does that mean?
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]