- ‘Beyoncé’s Assistant for a Day’ creator is releasing more games on storytelling app Yarn 2 Years Ago
- Why does everyone keep falling for that Instagram and Facebook hoax? 2 Years Ago
- A bunch of celebrities fell for that viral Instagram hoax 2 Years Ago
- Former Die Antwoord crew member says video shows ‘homophobic attack’ 2 Years Ago
- How to stream all the MLS Rivalry Week matches 2 Years Ago
- Nevada officials issue warnings for people prepping to ‘Storm Area 51’ Today 12:55 PM
- These are the 8 best fighting games available today Today 12:43 PM
- Pluto TV and the NFL launch the NFL Channel Today 12:40 PM
- Trump: ‘I am the chosen one’ Today 12:33 PM
- Video shows arrest of 15-year-old who threatened school shooting online Today 12:11 PM
- Woman finds massive diamond after watching YouTube video on how to find diamonds Today 11:30 AM
- Up to 20 states are banding together to probe Facebook, Google Today 11:08 AM
- Get your tinker on with the Electronic Games Advent Calendar Today 10:51 AM
- Why Joe Biden has big Jeb Bush energy Today 10:35 AM
- Trump quotes conspiracy theorist saying he’s the ‘second coming of God’ Today 9:04 AM
After a week of silence on the matter, save for a tweet supporting men accused of domestic violence, President Donald Trump issued a statement condemning domestic violence.
According to the White House pool report from today, prompted by a reporter’s question, Trump said: “I am totally opposed to domestic violence of any kind—everyone knows that and it almost wouldn’t even have to be said.”
Press Secretary Sarah Sanders had been pressed on Trump’s stance on domestic violence for the past week, after it was revealed White House staff secretary Rob Porter had been accused by two separate women of assault.
Porter left the White House, but the conversation grew over the weekend when Trump tweeted support for Porter.
Peoples lives are being shattered and destroyed by a mere allegation. Some are true and some are false. Some are old and some are new. There is no recovery for someone falsely accused - life and career are gone. Is there no such thing any longer as Due Process?— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 10, 2018
Yesterday, as backlash grew, Sanders said that “the President takes all of these accusations very seriously … Above everything else, he supports the victims of any type of violence, and certainly would condemn any violence against anyone.”
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]