- What does IMO mean? 1 Year Ago
- ‘Trigger Warning with Killer Mike’ digs into America’s wounds with a wink and a black flag Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch Tigres vs. Cruz Azul online for free Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Arsenal vs. Chelsea online for free Today 5:21 AM
- How to watch Borussia Dortmund vs. RB Leipzig online for free Today 5:07 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Sevilla online for free Today 4:48 AM
- Netflix says ‘Fortnite’ is more competition than HBO Friday 8:25 PM
- This computer-generated Insta model looks staggeringly real Friday 7:15 PM
- Netflix is bringing back ‘Unsolved Mysteries’ with ‘Stranger Things’ producer Friday 6:42 PM
- Facebook is creating a meme feature to bring back the teens Friday 4:13 PM
- A hitman’s smartwatch helped send him to prison for life Friday 4:05 PM
- Privacy group files complaints against Netlifx, Spotify for GDPR violations Friday 3:02 PM
- Bikini Kill reunion show sale proves the internet is still hell for live music fans Friday 2:55 PM
- Teen’s photo of Nazi-themed school-dance invite goes viral Friday 2:31 PM
- Ben Shapiro comes out as pro-baby Hitler in March for Life message Friday 2:28 PM
He beat the Republican challenger, Kim Guadagno.
NBC News called the election at 8:14pm ET. As of that time, Murphy was leading Republican challenger Kim Guadagno 54 percent to 42 percent.
Murphy, 60, takes over for the deeply unpopular Gov. Chris Christie.
The Democrat and former ambassador to Germany under former President Barack Obama’s administration was heavily favored to win the election over Guadagno, who served as Christie’s lieutenant governor. Before the election, Real Clear Politics had Murphy leading Guadagno by 14.4 points on average.
After two terms of Christie, who lost popularity in the state following his infamous Bridgegate scandal, New Jersey voters can expect a more liberal head of the state.
Murphy has promised to create a “public bank” that would lend out low-interest loans to residents and has promised to sign a bill that would legalize and tax marijuana in the state within the first 100 days he’s in office, allowing for New Jersey to join a growing number of states that have done so.
Murphy has never held elected office and takes over for Christie, whose approval rating hit 15 percent in June.
While turnout was expected to be low, changing demographics in New Jersey may have aided Murphy in such a commanding win. Benjamin Dworkin, director of the Rebovich Institute for New Jersey Politics at Rider University told Fox News there were 800,000 more registered Democrats in New Jersey than Republicans, up from only 200,000 a decade ago.
New Jersey was one of two states with gubernatorial elections on Tuesday. In Virginia Democrat Ralph Northam is facing off against Republican Ed Gillespie in what is expected to be a much closer race.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).