- These high school theater kids put on a totally awesome ‘Alien’ play Saturday 3:59 PM
- Behold these photos of Elon Musk, but with Elizabeth Holmes’ eyes Saturday 3:11 PM
- Barbra Streisand gets canceled over remarks about Michael Jackson’s alleged victims Saturday 2:09 PM
- Report: Florida man raped Texas teen after posing as Instagram celeb Saturday 12:14 PM
- Lori Loughlin’s daughters, Olivia and Isabella, could be banned from USC forever Saturday 11:46 AM
- ‘Starfish’ is a heartbreaking tale of BFFs, grief, and apocalyptic alien invasions Saturday 10:35 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 148 for free Saturday 10:00 AM
- The kids are making scantron memes instead of studying Saturday 9:29 AM
- Every installment of Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark,’ ranked Saturday 6:00 AM
- The internet is mocking Robert Mueller’s report deadline Friday 7:53 PM
- Instagram blocks some anti-vax hashtags—but still has far to go Friday 6:20 PM
- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Friday 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Friday 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Friday 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Friday 12:18 PM
Conservatives finally realize prison is bad thanks to Paul Manafort
People are pointing out that, yeah, solitary confinement is bad.
OLawyers for former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort said on Thursday that he is being held in solitary confinement because “the facility cannot otherwise guarantee his safety,” leading some conservatives online complain about the United States criminal justice system–a major talking point among Democrats.
Manafort is being held in solitary confinement for 23 hours a day, his lawyer wrote in an appeal brief, according to Courthouse News. The imprisonment, according to his lawyer, is also hurting him from preparing a defense to charges handed to him as part of Special Counsel Robert Mueller‘s probe into Russian interference in the 2016 election and other related matters.
The news of President Donald Trump‘s former campaign chairman’s circumstances in prison led many conservatives to express outrage online.
Several people used the #FreePaulManafort hashtag.
— Comfortably Smug (@ComfortablySmug) July 6, 2018
@PaulManafort is in SOLITARY CONFINEMENT 23 HOURS OF EACH DAY IN A VA JAIL! Where is the #FreePaulManafort protest? This is what a dictatorship looks like! Is this Iran? This is the US where these things are NOT supposed to happen esp when others who ARE guilty walk free! WTH????
— SRP4328 👠🇺🇸🐾⭐️⭐️⭐️ (@ShellyPayne4328) July 6, 2018
Others just seemed aghast at the lack of “justice” being given to Manafort.
The fact that Paul Manafort sits in solitary confinement for 23 hours a day while Hillary Clinton laughs scott free just shows how much of a sham our government is.
— john carelli (@jcarelli16) July 6, 2018
Of course, others online pointed out that solitary confinement is cruel, and used often in the country’s prison system.
One tweet in particular from a reporter at the Washington Examiner seemed to invoke a number of responses.
Congrats to Byron York and others who are discovering our harsh criminal justice system now that a rich, white fellow-partisan is enduring it. https://t.co/8OMo28s9h6
— Don Moynihan (@donmoyn) July 6, 2018
what if Paul Manafort's only positive contribution to society is awakening the right's consciousness to the horrors of the carceral state https://t.co/XYGZ0GEKFi
— Simon Maloy (@SimonMaloy) July 6, 2018
Awesome, now do one for all the brown people and poor people in the same confinements….. https://t.co/bQr6TKVlBc
— karlee anderson (@ninjakarlee00) July 6, 2018
Breaking: The World's Largest Prison System Briefly Affects Rich White Dude (Who Can Meet With His Attorneys Whenever They Want) From The Party That Campaigned For Decades On Making The Prison System Work Like This https://t.co/nBy5yyRqC2
— Johnny McNulty (@JohnnyMcNulty) July 6, 2018
[clears throat] Solitary confinement is still bad even when it's Paul Manafort
— Parker Molloy (@ParkerMolloy) July 6, 2018
Solitary confinement is awful and should never be used. Even for Paul Manafort.
— Euan Rellie (@euanrellie) July 6, 2018
From "Lock her up!" To "Please get Paul Manafort out of solitary" real fast
— Marcus H. Johnson (@marcushjohnson) July 6, 2018
black people held in solitary
paul manafort held in solitary
conservatives: AN INJUSTICE SIR RELEASE HIM SIR
— Oliver Willis (@owillis) July 6, 2018
Manafort’s bail was revoked in late April, and he is appealing that decision. Mueller’s team charged him with money laundering and other crimes late last year.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).