- Polar Peak in Fortnite is cracking, and players think a dragon may be beneath the ice 11 Months Ago
- ‘Rise of Skywalker’ first look reveals mysterious new characters 11 Months Ago
- Meet the anti-choice, pro-NRA Trump supporter challenging Rep. Justin Amash 11 Months Ago
- Moby attempts to prove he dated Natalie Portman with a shirtless photo 11 Months Ago
- After feuding with James Charles, Tati Westbrook angers the YouTube community Today 11:06 AM
- Does Keri Russell’s ‘Rise of Skywalker’ character have an offensive name in Spanish? Today 10:59 AM
- It’s not clear if Ralph Northam is in racist yearbook photo, investigators say Today 10:48 AM
- The atonement of an alt-right troll Today 9:25 AM
- #StopTheBans protests draw thousands across the country in support of abortion rights Today 9:24 AM
- North Korea is using Trump’s low IQ attack on Joe Biden Today 9:14 AM
- How to watch ‘Kidding’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- What’s the deal with Bran Stark at the end of ‘Game of Thrones’? Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch TruTV online for free Today 6:00 AM
- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message Tuesday 8:45 PM
Conservatives finally realize prison is bad thanks to Paul Manafort
People are pointing out that, yeah, solitary confinement is bad.
OLawyers for former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort said on Thursday that he is being held in solitary confinement because “the facility cannot otherwise guarantee his safety,” leading some conservatives online complain about the United States criminal justice system–a major talking point among Democrats.
Manafort is being held in solitary confinement for 23 hours a day, his lawyer wrote in an appeal brief, according to Courthouse News. The imprisonment, according to his lawyer, is also hurting him from preparing a defense to charges handed to him as part of Special Counsel Robert Mueller‘s probe into Russian interference in the 2016 election and other related matters.
The news of President Donald Trump‘s former campaign chairman’s circumstances in prison led many conservatives to express outrage online.
Several people used the #FreePaulManafort hashtag.
— Comfortably Smug (@ComfortablySmug) July 6, 2018
@PaulManafort is in SOLITARY CONFINEMENT 23 HOURS OF EACH DAY IN A VA JAIL! Where is the #FreePaulManafort protest? This is what a dictatorship looks like! Is this Iran? This is the US where these things are NOT supposed to happen esp when others who ARE guilty walk free! WTH????
— SRP4328 👠🇺🇸🐾⭐️⭐️⭐️ (@ShellyPayne4328) July 6, 2018
Others just seemed aghast at the lack of “justice” being given to Manafort.
The fact that Paul Manafort sits in solitary confinement for 23 hours a day while Hillary Clinton laughs scott free just shows how much of a sham our government is.
— john carelli (@jcarelli16) July 6, 2018
Of course, others online pointed out that solitary confinement is cruel, and used often in the country’s prison system.
One tweet in particular from a reporter at the Washington Examiner seemed to invoke a number of responses.
Congrats to Byron York and others who are discovering our harsh criminal justice system now that a rich, white fellow-partisan is enduring it. https://t.co/8OMo28s9h6
— Don Moynihan (@donmoyn) July 6, 2018
what if Paul Manafort's only positive contribution to society is awakening the right's consciousness to the horrors of the carceral state https://t.co/XYGZ0GEKFi
— Simon Maloy (@SimonMaloy) July 6, 2018
Awesome, now do one for all the brown people and poor people in the same confinements….. https://t.co/bQr6TKVlBc
— karlee anderson (@ninjakarlee00) July 6, 2018
Breaking: The World's Largest Prison System Briefly Affects Rich White Dude (Who Can Meet With His Attorneys Whenever They Want) From The Party That Campaigned For Decades On Making The Prison System Work Like This https://t.co/nBy5yyRqC2
— Johnny McNulty (@JohnnyMcNulty) July 6, 2018
[clears throat] Solitary confinement is still bad even when it's Paul Manafort
— Parker Molloy (@ParkerMolloy) July 6, 2018
Solitary confinement is awful and should never be used. Even for Paul Manafort.
— Euan Rellie (@euanrellie) July 6, 2018
From "Lock her up!" To "Please get Paul Manafort out of solitary" real fast
— Marcus H. Johnson (@marcushjohnson) July 6, 2018
black people held in solitary
paul manafort held in solitary
conservatives: AN INJUSTICE SIR RELEASE HIM SIR
— Oliver Willis (@owillis) July 6, 2018
Manafort’s bail was revoked in late April, and he is appealing that decision. Mueller’s team charged him with money laundering and other crimes late last year.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).