- The Deplorable Choir drops diss track aimed at 4 congresswomen from Trump’s racist tweets Wednesday 8:09 PM
- Florida city is pushing homeless people out by playing ‘Baby Shark’ on a loop Wednesday 7:27 PM
- A ‘Gossip Girl’ reboot is coming to HBO Max–and fans are not happy with the casting details Wednesday 6:44 PM
- Beto can’t leverage his slave owner ancestry to gain Black voters’ trust Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Oakland to become the third U.S. city to ban facial recognition Wednesday 5:50 PM
- ‘Release the Snyder Cut’ billboards pop up outside of San Diego Comic-Con Wednesday 5:24 PM
- Iggy Azalea and Peppa Pig have an epic Twitter fight Wednesday 4:39 PM
- Should you be concerned about your privacy on FaceApp? Wednesday 4:15 PM
- Google ‘terminates’ Dragonfly, its censored search engine for China Wednesday 3:33 PM
- AOC rips Facebook during Libra House hearing Wednesday 3:14 PM
- The time traveler conversation meme finds its way to TikTok Wednesday 2:52 PM
- Grimes claims she had an ‘experimental’ eye surgery and practices sword fighting Wednesday 2:42 PM
- 70 Border Patrol employees under investigation for posts in secret Facebook group Wednesday 1:45 PM
- Republican’s Operation Safe Return criticized as cover for mass deporation Wednesday 1:42 PM
- ‘Chernobyl’ star Jared Harris is concerned about people taking Instagrams there Wednesday 12:18 PM
Paul Manafort’s mug shot gets released—immediately becomes a meme
The jokes came quick.
It was immediately mocked.
Manafort, who was charged as part of Special Counsel Robert Mueller‘s ongoing probe into Russian interference in the 2016 election and other related matters, was moved to Alexandria, Virginia, just days after his lawyers argued that he was being held in solitary confinement for 23 hours a day, hurting his ability to prepare a defense for himself.
The former campaign manager was held at the Northern Neck Regional Jail previously, according to Politico.
As part of the move to the jail in Virginia, his mugshot was released—resulting in many, many, many jokes from people online.
me at the beginning of 2018 vs. me halfway through pic.twitter.com/a8vPvaNIk5— David Wright (@DavidWright_CNN) July 12, 2018
Manafort mugshot party time! pic.twitter.com/kUsKj1KC2f— 🍸 DB McWeeberton 🤖 (@DBMcWeeberton) July 12, 2018
Half the bars in Queens have a photo uncannily similar to this on the wall with "Do Not Accept Personal Checks From" written underneath. https://t.co/nJQkoofNTk— Michael Weiss (@michaeldweiss) July 12, 2018
strighten your toupee, paulie https://t.co/ofParDyouy— Mary L. Austin (@MLAustin418) July 12, 2018
He looks like he's slowly morphing into Steve Bannon https://t.co/H1r2fr38ej— Pashie Bee (@Sister_Bee) July 12, 2018
Hiring the very best. https://t.co/1pIiJE2dME— J.T. Krul (@jtkrul) July 12, 2018
Other people brought up the mugshot of Stormy Daniels, the adult film actress who says she had an affair with Trump, who was arrested on Wednesday at a strip club in Columbus, Ohio. Her lawyer, Michael Avenatti, said that the arrest was “politically motivated.”
Of course, there were others who took the mugshot as a way to meme their way into defending Manafort.
The former Trump campaign chairman was charged with money laundering and other crimes late last year as part of Mueller’s probe.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).