- Men are finally sharing their abortion stories Today 10:58 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Maria’ is a trigger-happy B-movie Today 9:07 AM
- How to stream Money in the Bank 2019 for free Today 9:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 6 for free Today 8:00 AM
- These ‘Game of Thrones’ houses are gone forever Today 7:54 AM
- The 10 best anime movies on Hulu Today 7:00 AM
- Vibe TV puts a premium price tag on piracy Today 6:00 AM
- Twitter unites in collective confusion over ‘Democrats for Trump’ trending Saturday 2:28 PM
- YouTube star tweets and deletes video of his Black cousin ‘Peanut’ acting as a stool Saturday 1:04 PM
- The ‘Do you wash your legs in the shower’ debate has now escalated to feet Saturday 12:20 PM
- Trump posts a world-class golf score, and the internet laughs at him Saturday 10:46 AM
- Lili Reinhart dragged the ‘Game of Thrones’ petition, sparking debate about TV and ‘fan service’ Saturday 9:42 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 152 for free Saturday 8:00 AM
- People keep calling the ‘Game of Thrones’ creators by their initials—and it’s confusing D&D players Saturday 8:00 AM
- After infidelity and abuse accusations, ProJared said his wife wanted an open marriage Saturday 7:40 AM
Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
Trump Jr. is just the latest Republican to go after Ocasio-Cortez.
Trump Jr. posted the meme late Thursday on Instagram. It shows two pictures, one of Ocasio-Cortez with text that says “why are you so afraid of a socialist economy?” and another of the president with the caption: “because Americans want to walk their dogs, not eat them.”
The president’s son wrote “It’s funny cuz it’s true!!!” with several emojis when posting the meme.
Ocasio-Cortez has been the subject of numerous attacks from Republicans since her upset-win in a New York Democratic primary earlier this year and subsequent election to the House of Representatives in the 2018 midterm elections.
In response, the representative-elect asked whether people “have jobs to do?” other than attack her online. The meme from Trump Jr. was swiftly mocked by people on Instagram.
“As ignorant as his father,” one person wrote under his post.
“Just shows Trumpist ignorance and inability to think in more complex terms than 140 characters or a stupid meme,” another person wrote.
Meanwhile, the representative-elect and other progressive candidates have criticized their freshmen orientation ahead of becoming members of Congress.
As Business Insider notes, Ocasio-Cortez and Ayanna Pressley, who won a House seat in Massachusetts, were critical of an orientation held at the Harvard Kennedy School.
“Our ‘bipartisan’ Congressional orientation is cohosted by a corporate lobbyist group. Other members have quietly expressed to me their concern that this wasn’t told to us in advance,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted on Thursday. “Lobbyists are here. Goldman Sachs is here. Where‘s labor? Activists? Frontline community leaders?”
Our “bipartisan” Congressional orientation is cohosted by a corporate lobbyist group. Other members have quietly expressed to me their concern that this wasn’t told to us in advance.
Lobbyists are here. Goldman Sachs is here. Where‘s labor? Activists?Frontline community leaders?
— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@Ocasio2018) December 6, 2018
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).