- Man delighted to find 30-year-old computer still works Sunday 5:32 PM
- Report: Google used shell companies to build data centers, obtain tax breaks Sunday 3:38 PM
- Grammy winner Kacey Musgraves spoiled ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars 4’ Sunday 2:24 PM
- Conservatives feel vindicated by new developments in Jussie Smollett case (updated) Sunday 12:19 PM
- Don Cheadle made important fashion choices on ‘SNL’ Sunday 9:47 AM
- Why the Twitter left loves to dunk on Max Boot Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Last Week Tonight with John Oliver’ online for free Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Francis Ngannou vs. Cain Velasquez for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream the 2019 Daytona 500 for free Sunday 5:50 AM
- 7-year-old YouTuber to get his own show on Nickelodeon Saturday 5:30 PM
- ‘Hipster’ jobs are trending, and Indeed says the market is booming Saturday 3:33 PM
- Trump meme removed after copyright complaint Saturday 2:15 PM
- Facebook pushes back against moderators complaining about ‘Big Brother’ environment Saturday 12:46 PM
- Twitter hid post from an account linked to Iran’s Supreme Leader Saturday 10:17 AM
- How to stream Leo Santa Cruz vs. Rafael Rivera for free Saturday 8:00 AM
Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
Trump Jr. is just the latest Republican to go after Ocasio-Cortez.
Trump Jr. posted the meme late Thursday on Instagram. It shows two pictures, one of Ocasio-Cortez with text that says “why are you so afraid of a socialist economy?” and another of the president with the caption: “because Americans want to walk their dogs, not eat them.”
The president’s son wrote “It’s funny cuz it’s true!!!” with several emojis when posting the meme.
Ocasio-Cortez has been the subject of numerous attacks from Republicans since her upset-win in a New York Democratic primary earlier this year and subsequent election to the House of Representatives in the 2018 midterm elections.
In response, the representative-elect asked whether people “have jobs to do?” other than attack her online. The meme from Trump Jr. was swiftly mocked by people on Instagram.
“As ignorant as his father,” one person wrote under his post.
“Just shows Trumpist ignorance and inability to think in more complex terms than 140 characters or a stupid meme,” another person wrote.
Meanwhile, the representative-elect and other progressive candidates have criticized their freshmen orientation ahead of becoming members of Congress.
As Business Insider notes, Ocasio-Cortez and Ayanna Pressley, who won a House seat in Massachusetts, were critical of an orientation held at the Harvard Kennedy School.
“Our ‘bipartisan’ Congressional orientation is cohosted by a corporate lobbyist group. Other members have quietly expressed to me their concern that this wasn’t told to us in advance,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted on Thursday. “Lobbyists are here. Goldman Sachs is here. Where‘s labor? Activists? Frontline community leaders?”
Our “bipartisan” Congressional orientation is cohosted by a corporate lobbyist group. Other members have quietly expressed to me their concern that this wasn’t told to us in advance.
Lobbyists are here. Goldman Sachs is here. Where‘s labor? Activists?Frontline community leaders?
— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@Ocasio2018) December 6, 2018
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).