- Anti-impeachment protesters aimlessly fumble through halls of Congress 1 Year Ago
- Everything we know so far about the Xbox Series X Today 12:17 PM
- ASMR YouTuber Life with MaK says she was branded a ‘Nazi’ by online smear campaign Today 10:46 AM
- Voters duped by fake ex-Bloomberg intern’s tweet about being fired Today 9:47 AM
- HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ and the fantasy of competence Today 8:00 AM
- Cómo ver Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington en el UFC 245 Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
- Why Britons are tweeting ‘Little England’ in wake of the U.K. election Friday 3:22 PM
- Net neutrality advocates ask for rehearing on federal court decision Friday 2:29 PM
- Americans are sharing their #PrivateHealthLIFEhacks to help Brits Friday 2:28 PM
- Warren, Sanders, Yang pledge to skip next week’s debate over union dispute Friday 2:12 PM
- How to watch tonight’s Nets vs. Raptors matchup on NBA TV Friday 2:00 PM
- Alt-right comedian Owen Benjamin banned from Instagram over anti-Semitic memes Friday 1:55 PM
- TikTok teens are procrastinating with #FinalsWeek Friday 1:46 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ takes on a prison break in episode 6 Friday 1:30 PM
Trump Jr. posted the meme late Thursday on Instagram. It shows two pictures, one of Ocasio-Cortez with text that says “why are you so afraid of a socialist economy?” and another of the president with the caption: “because Americans want to walk their dogs, not eat them.”
The president’s son wrote “It’s funny cuz it’s true!!!” with several emojis when posting the meme.
Ocasio-Cortez has been the subject of numerous attacks from Republicans since her upset-win in a New York Democratic primary earlier this year and subsequent election to the House of Representatives in the 2018 midterm elections.
In response, the representative-elect asked whether people “have jobs to do?” other than attack her online. The meme from Trump Jr. was swiftly mocked by people on Instagram.
“As ignorant as his father,” one person wrote under his post.
“Just shows Trumpist ignorance and inability to think in more complex terms than 140 characters or a stupid meme,” another person wrote.
Meanwhile, the representative-elect and other progressive candidates have criticized their freshmen orientation ahead of becoming members of Congress.
As Business Insider notes, Ocasio-Cortez and Ayanna Pressley, who won a House seat in Massachusetts, were critical of an orientation held at the Harvard Kennedy School.
“Our ‘bipartisan’ Congressional orientation is cohosted by a corporate lobbyist group. Other members have quietly expressed to me their concern that this wasn’t told to us in advance,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted on Thursday. “Lobbyists are here. Goldman Sachs is here. Where‘s labor? Activists? Frontline community leaders?”
Our “bipartisan” Congressional orientation is cohosted by a corporate lobbyist group. Other members have quietly expressed to me their concern that this wasn’t told to us in advance.— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@Ocasio2018) December 6, 2018
Lobbyists are here. Goldman Sachs is here. Where‘s labor? Activists?Frontline community leaders?
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).