- Miss USA thought everyone spoke English—and the internet is not amused Thursday 8:02 PM
- Kanye’s Twitter tirade prompts apology from Drake Thursday 6:00 PM
- Listen to Pitbull cover Toto’s ‘Africa’ for the ‘Aquaman’ soundtrack—or don’t Thursday 4:55 PM
- Nancy Pelosi’s coat is the meme the resistance needed Thursday 4:39 PM
- Oprah says what was really on her mind while she ate bland chicken Thursday 4:00 PM
- Democrats predicted to go in on net neutrality when they take House Thursday 3:33 PM
- Holland Tunnel decorations are a real nightmare before Christmas Thursday 2:12 PM
- Amazon still won’t say whether ICE uses its facial recognition tech Thursday 1:13 PM
- Ninja to host Thursday Night Football Thursday 12:00 PM
- How to stream the NFL’s Week 15 for free Thursday 12:00 PM
- An undecorated room sets off a debate on Twitter Thursday 11:42 AM
- Netflix announces Taylor Swift ‘Reputation’ concert film Thursday 11:29 AM
- People are making memes out of these ‘leaked’ ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ posters Thursday 11:12 AM
- How to watch the Liga MX final between Club América and Cruz Azul online for free Thursday 10:38 AM
- Parents shocked by KKK costumes in school play Thursday 10:11 AM
Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
Trump Jr. is just the latest Republican to go after Ocasio-Cortez.
Trump Jr. posted the meme late Thursday on Instagram. It shows two pictures, one of Ocasio-Cortez with text that says “why are you so afraid of a socialist economy?” and another of the president with the caption: “because Americans want to walk their dogs, not eat them.”
The president’s son wrote “It’s funny cuz it’s true!!!” with several emojis when posting the meme.
Ocasio-Cortez has been the subject of numerous attacks from Republicans since her upset-win in a New York Democratic primary earlier this year and subsequent election to the House of Representatives in the 2018 midterm elections.
In response, the representative-elect asked whether people “have jobs to do?” other than attack her online. The meme from Trump Jr. was swiftly mocked by people on Instagram.
“As ignorant as his father,” one person wrote under his post.
“Just shows Trumpist ignorance and inability to think in more complex terms than 140 characters or a stupid meme,” another person wrote.
Meanwhile, the representative-elect and other progressive candidates have criticized their freshmen orientation ahead of becoming members of Congress.
As Business Insider notes, Ocasio-Cortez and Ayanna Pressley, who won a House seat in Massachusetts, were critical of an orientation held at the Harvard Kennedy School.
“Our ‘bipartisan’ Congressional orientation is cohosted by a corporate lobbyist group. Other members have quietly expressed to me their concern that this wasn’t told to us in advance,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted on Thursday. “Lobbyists are here. Goldman Sachs is here. Where‘s labor? Activists? Frontline community leaders?”
Our “bipartisan” Congressional orientation is cohosted by a corporate lobbyist group. Other members have quietly expressed to me their concern that this wasn’t told to us in advance.
Lobbyists are here. Goldman Sachs is here. Where‘s labor? Activists?Frontline community leaders?
— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@Ocasio2018) December 6, 2018
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).