- People are not falling for these ICE ‘propaganda’ photos Sunday 4:23 PM
- CLIF Bar and KIND Snacks are in a bizarre social media war Sunday 2:55 PM
- Caillou is how tall? Sunday 1:32 PM
- No, that video of a Boston Dynamics robot attacking its creators is not real Sunday 12:40 PM
- Alex Jones places $1 million bounty on culprit who planted child porn on his InfoWars server Sunday 12:03 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ star’s new Netflix prank show is receiving backlash Sunday 9:04 AM
- How to watch ‘City on a Hill’ for free Sunday 8:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Euphoria’ for free Sunday 7:00 AM
- Meet the home brewer turning beer into a case for net neutrality Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Chile at the World Cup for free Sunday 6:15 AM
- 15 teen movies on Netflix that will make you laugh, cry, and cringe Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch Estrella TV online for free Sunday 5:00 AM
- People are roasting this ‘traditional’ take on marriage with a hilarious meme Saturday 5:17 PM
- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry Saturday 4:00 PM
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Saturday 3:06 PM
Austin barbecue employee says Obama fist bump was for gay rights
Brisket is awesome, but there’s a more important message behind this fist bump.
But now there’s another photo of the president mid-bump circulating around the Internet, which has more to it than meets the eye. Obama gave a speech in Austin, Tex., on Thursday, and after the event, he, like so many other visitors to the state capitol, couldn’t resist a stop at Franklin Barbecue.
There, he was photographed at the register pounding fists with the cashier.
— Doug Mills (@dougmillsnyt) July 10, 2014
While many assumed the president was just delighted to be taking home some world-class brisket (and that he got to skip the hours-long line), there’s actually more to the story.
The cashier in the photo is Daniel Rugg Webb, an Austin comedian, musician, and part-time employee at the barbecue restaurant. According to the Austin Chronicle, which interviewed Webb after his encounter with the president, the fist bump actually followed Webb’s call for gay equality:
As the president approached, Webb threw his hand down and slapped the counter dramatically. “Equal rights for gay people!”
“Are you gay?” the president asked.
“Only when I have sex.”
“That’s when he laughed and said, ‘Bump me,'” Webb says.
Webb noted that if it was Texas’s conservative Governor Rick Perry who entered the restaurant, it probably wouldn’t have gone as nicely.
President Obama shares a light moment Mayor Mike Rawlings, with Gov. Rick Perry at the end of the table. pic.twitter.com/kE9GcPbjoF
— Doug Mills (@dougmillsnyt) July 9, 2014
Sarah Weber is the former editor of Daily Dot’s Parsec section, where she wrote about geek culture. She previously worked as a reporter and editor at community newspapers in the Midwest and was recognized by the Ohio Associated Press for news reporting.