- Fan uncovers ‘Westworld’ trailers hidden on fictional company’s website Sunday 8:18 PM
- This trending Twitter hashtag is a lot less sexy than you think Sunday 7:23 PM
- TikTok users share life-changing realizations they’ve had while in the shower Sunday 7:04 PM
- People are torn over viral TikTok of girl cleaning friend’s room Sunday 4:01 PM
- Did Pete Buttigieg seriously just rip-off a famous Obama speech? Sunday 2:50 PM
- The most dangerous TikTok challenges we’ve seen—so far Sunday 2:22 PM
- PewDiePie wants Bernie Sanders to host meme review Sunday 1:44 PM
- Hilary Duff records confrontation with ‘creep’ taking photos of kids Sunday 1:08 PM
- BTS may have used Twitch streamer’s voice in song without permission Sunday 12:15 PM
- Gigi Hadid absolutely obliterates Jake Paul over Zayn Malik diss Sunday 10:26 AM
- People really want Chris Matthews fired after he compared Sanders’ Nevada win to Nazi invasion of France Sunday 9:35 AM
- Bernie Sanders wins Nevada Caucuses Saturday 6:54 PM
- MSNBC is out of its mind over Sanders leading Nevada Saturday 5:20 PM
- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands Saturday 4:13 PM
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Saturday 3:44 PM
The National Security Agency promises that it will soon destroy the metadata it collected on millions of Americans with no ties to terrorism.
Monday’s announcement follows changes enacted in June to the USA Patriot Act with the passage of the USA Freedom Act, which extended the aforementioned law until 2019, but included an amendment to end NSA’s mass phone data collection program which it claimed was authorized by Section 215.
In May, the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit ruled that the NSA’s program was, in fact, illegal. The program was first revealed to the public in 2013 by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden.
Under the USA Freedom Act’s transition provision, the NSA is authorized to continue the bulk collection until Nov. 29. Following that date, technical personnel will retain access to the records for an additional three months—no new records will be collected under the same process—for “integrity purposes,” the Office of the Director of National Intelligence said in statement Monday.
There are several legal cases pending against the NSA concerning the bulk collection process; “NSA remains under a continuing legal obligation” to preserve the data until those cases are resolved, the ODNI added.
Attorneys at the Electronic Frontier Foundation, the California-based digital rights group, are counsel or co-counsel in three of those cases, including: First Unitarian v. NSA, Jewel v. NSA, and Smith v. Obama.
The phone records preserved solely because of the NSA’s legal obligations in pending civil litigation, the government says, “will not be used or accessed for any other purpose,” and will be destroyed as soon as possible.
Under the new law, phone companies are required to store the same metadata previously collected by the NSA so that specific requests can be made to view it by authorities with a warrant.
Photo via NSA.gov
Dell Cameron was a reporter at the Daily Dot who covered security and politics. In 2015, he revealed the existence of an American hacker on the U.S. government's terrorist watchlist. He is a co-author of the Sabu Files, an award-nominated investigation into the FBI's use of cyber-informants. He became a staff writer at Gizmodo in 2017.