- CLIF Bar and KIND Snacks are in a bizarre social media war Today 2:55 PM
- Caillou is how tall? Today 1:32 PM
- No, that video of a Boston Dynamics robot attacking its creators is not real Today 12:40 PM
- Alex Jones places $1 million bounty on culprit who planted child porn on his InfoWars server Today 12:03 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ star’s new Netflix prank show is receiving backlash Today 9:04 AM
- How to watch ‘City on a Hill’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Euphoria’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- Meet the home brewer turning beer into a case for net neutrality Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Chile at the World Cup for free Today 6:15 AM
- 15 teen movies on Netflix that will make you laugh, cry, and cringe Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Estrella TV online for free Today 5:00 AM
- People are roasting this ‘traditional’ take on marriage with a hilarious meme Saturday 5:17 PM
- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry Saturday 4:00 PM
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Saturday 3:06 PM
- O.J. Simpson just joined Twitter in the most bizarre fashion Saturday 1:20 PM
Andrew H/Flickr (CC-BY)
Today, Notre Dame, an iconic cathedral in Paris, caught fire, with videos of the blaze going viral. Videos show the spire of the church collapsing.
Here’s the video of Notre Dame cathedral’s spire collapsing amidst the flames.pic.twitter.com/uR2LWrIFGJ
— Jerry Dunleavy (@JerryDunleavy) April 15, 2019
the epitome of this emoji: 😢 pic.twitter.com/Ok6pY7jTgN
— jeff meltz *NOT CLICKBAIT* (@thecultureofme) April 15, 2019
Notre Dame, Paris, is on fire and it feels like the end of the world. pic.twitter.com/qYYk7ewipq
— Shiv Malik (@shivmalik) April 15, 2019
BREAKING: The roof of the Notre Dame Cathedral has collapsed into the church: pic.twitter.com/gXTUzRXV9L
— J.D. Durkin (@jiveDurkey) April 15, 2019
The videos show a shocking blaze, which consumed the entire roof of the structure.
#NotreDame: 'The roof has entirely collapsed, there are flames coming out the back of the cathedral as if it was a torch'@charli, Journalist at France 24, at the scene of the fire. pic.twitter.com/2B0IrMiDcL
— FRANCE 24 English (@France24_en) April 15, 2019
The venue is a popular tourist attraction in Paris, and Twitter users mourned watching the structure engulfed.
My heart breaks for the people of Paris after seeing the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral. Praying for everyone’s safety.
— Melania Trump (@FLOTUS) April 15, 2019
this photograph. 😔 https://t.co/9ZI8cKW43g
— Anna Holmes (@AnnaHolmes) April 15, 2019
— 〰Manuuuel〰 (@ManuelCastane12) April 15, 2019
god this is devestating https://t.co/dvtYURoqD4
— kelsey mckinney (@mckinneykelsey) April 15, 2019
good lord. https://t.co/2X9lrZVx8L
— Jack Holmes (@jackholmes0) April 15, 2019
Notre Dame was in the midst of a $7 million renovation, and early reports indicate that the fire was linked to that work. The cathedral was completed in 1260.
Update 1:38pm CT, April 15: According to numerous reports, the entire frame of the structure is on fire.
Notre Dame spokesperson: “Everything is burning, nothing will remain from the frame pic.twitter.com/lDH3y0lC5f
— J.D. Durkin (@jiveDurkey) April 15, 2019
Authorities said that firefighters are attempting to salvage what they can of the artwork.
AP: Paris emergency services now trying to salvage the artwork stored in Notre Dame Cathedral from the huge fire.
— Jesse Rodriguez (@JesseRodriguez) April 15, 2019
It does appear that effort was successful, at least in part.
Une bonne nouvelle : toutes les œuvres d’art ont été sauvées. Le trésor de la cathédrale est intact, la couronne d’épines, les saints sacrements. #NOTRE_DAME
— Nicolas Delesalle (@KoliaDelesalle) April 15, 2019
President Donald Trump weighed in on the matter, saying authorities in France should dump water from planes on it, and that they “must act quickly.”
So horrible to watch the massive fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 15, 2019
This story is developing.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]