- #GentrifyingGeorge thinks 152-year-old HBCU should ‘just move’ 6 Days Ago
- Watch out! Tonight’s episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ leaked online (updated) Today 3:32 PM
- Videos of people working may be the best thing on TikTok right now Today 1:46 PM
- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 2 for free Today 7:00 AM
- Gendry is making a new weapon for Arya Stark—but what is it? Today 6:30 AM
- The live-action Halo series could be Showtime’s most ambitious project yet Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free Today 5:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free Today 5:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
- PayPal, GoFundMe cut off armed militia that detains migrants at border Saturday 1:16 PM
- Barnwood theft may be on the rise because of ‘Fixer Upper’—and fans aren’t having it Saturday 12:23 PM
- Literary Twitter calls out Dzanc Books for Islamophobic, racist novel Saturday 11:40 AM
- How to watch Crawford vs. Khan online Saturday 10:00 AM
Andrew H/Flickr (CC-BY)
Today, Notre Dame, an iconic cathedral in Paris, caught fire, with videos of the blaze going viral. Videos show the spire of the church collapsing.
Here’s the video of Notre Dame cathedral’s spire collapsing amidst the flames.pic.twitter.com/uR2LWrIFGJ
— Jerry Dunleavy (@JerryDunleavy) April 15, 2019
the epitome of this emoji: 😢 pic.twitter.com/Ok6pY7jTgN
— valar mor-jeff-is (@thecultureofme) April 15, 2019
Notre Dame, Paris, is on fire and it feels like the end of the world. pic.twitter.com/qYYk7ewipq
— Shiv Malik (@shivmalik) April 15, 2019
BREAKING: The roof of the Notre Dame Cathedral has collapsed into the church: pic.twitter.com/gXTUzRXV9L
— J.D. Durkin (@jiveDurkey) April 15, 2019
The videos show a shocking blaze, which consumed the entire roof of the structure.
#NotreDame: 'The roof has entirely collapsed, there are flames coming out the back of the cathedral as if it was a torch'@charli, Journalist at France 24, at the scene of the fire. pic.twitter.com/2B0IrMiDcL
— FRANCE 24 English (@France24_en) April 15, 2019
The venue is a popular tourist attraction in Paris, and Twitter users mourned watching the structure engulfed.
My heart breaks for the people of Paris after seeing the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral. Praying for everyone’s safety.
— Melania Trump (@FLOTUS) April 15, 2019
this photograph. 😔 https://t.co/9ZI8cKW43g
— Anna Holmes (@AnnaHolmes) April 15, 2019
— 〰Manuuuel〰 (@ManuelCastane12) April 15, 2019
god this is devestating https://t.co/dvtYURoqD4
— kelsey mckinney (@mckinneykelsey) April 15, 2019
good lord. https://t.co/2X9lrZVx8L
— Jack Holmes (@jackholmes0) April 15, 2019
Notre Dame was in the midst of a $7 million renovation, and early reports indicate that the fire was linked to that work. The cathedral was completed in 1260.
Update 1:38pm CT, April 15: According to numerous reports, the entire frame of the structure is on fire.
Notre Dame spokesperson: “Everything is burning, nothing will remain from the frame pic.twitter.com/lDH3y0lC5f
— J.D. Durkin (@jiveDurkey) April 15, 2019
Authorities said that firefighters are attempting to salvage what they can of the artwork.
AP: Paris emergency services now trying to salvage the artwork stored in Notre Dame Cathedral from the huge fire.
— Jesse Rodriguez (@JesseRodriguez) April 15, 2019
It does appear that effort was successful, at least in part.
Une bonne nouvelle : toutes les œuvres d’art ont été sauvées. Le trésor de la cathédrale est intact, la couronne d’épines, les saints sacrements. #NOTRE_DAME
— Nicolas Delesalle (@KoliaDelesalle) April 15, 2019
President Donald Trump weighed in on the matter, saying authorities in France should dump water from planes on it, and that they “must act quickly.”
So horrible to watch the massive fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 15, 2019
This story is developing.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]