- New ‘Avengers: Endgame’ commercials drop a few big spoilers 7 Months Ago
- Curvy Wife Guy makes the most Curvy Wife Guy pregnancy announcement Today 11:31 AM
- ‘A Fortunate Man’ is a gorgeous, shallow adaptation of a classic novel Today 11:30 AM
- Obama’s ‘Easter worshippers’ tweet upsets conservatives Today 11:04 AM
- Trump responds to impeachment calls: ‘You can’t’ Today 10:43 AM
- Desperate YouTuber goes on ‘holy pilgrimage’ to meet PewDiePie Today 10:33 AM
- Influencer faces 20 years for hiring cousin to threaten man into giving up domain name Today 10:17 AM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ isn’t actually the end of Marvel’s Phase 3 Today 10:12 AM
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ just obliterated every stupid argument about its place in canon Today 9:24 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ brings us lots of horny Tormund memes Today 8:46 AM
- 12 adult toys sex bloggers swear by Today 8:45 AM
- Howard Schultz mocked for ‘majority of Americans are Americans’ ad Today 8:35 AM
- The ultimate guide to strap-ons Today 8:00 AM
- Why ‘Ant-Man and the Wasp’ is my favorite Marvel movie Today 7:59 AM
- The quick and dirty guide to buying your first vibrator Today 7:45 AM
Nikki Haley resigns, and now everyone thinks Ivanka Trump will take the job
Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
Everyone has a theory about Haley’s political future.
Haley is the latest in a number of high-profile resignations to occur during Trump’s tenure. The former ambassador discussed her resignation with the president last week, Axios reports.
Haley was once a vocal critic of Trump, but she joined his administration as the ambassador to the United Nations and became a staunch supporter—including defending the president after an anonymous New York Times op-ed was published where the author claimed there was a resistance inside the White House.
“At the end of the year Nikki will be leaving,” Trump said, later adding: “We will miss you… and you’ve done a fantastic job.”
Haley also addressed the media and said she will not leave her position until the end of this year.
Shortly before the announcement, the former ambassador deleted any reference to her position in her Twitter bio.
The unexpected resignation immediately sparked intrigue on Twitter, with some wondering if Haley has more political ambitions in the future—either for Senate or challenging the president in the 2020 Republican primaries. Other people speculated she may be a choice to replace Vice President Mike Pence on the ticket in 2020.
During the meeting, the ambassador said she was not running in 2020.
While the president said during the presser that”many people” were interested in the job, one name came to everyone’s mind.
— Dave Brown (@dave_brown24) October 9, 2018
Based on the speculation I've seen on TV, Trump will fire Jeff Sessions, who will be replaced by Lindsey Graham, who will be replaced by Nikki Haley, who will be replaced by Ivanka Trump.
— Keith Boykin (@keithboykin) October 9, 2018
Trump should replace Nikki Haley with Ivanka.
— Ann Coulter (@AnnCoulter) October 9, 2018
Nikki Haley is blatantly running for something.
Ivanka taking the UN Ambassador position would:
a) give her distance from Trump now she knows how little she can influence him &
b) gives her the opportunity to be based back in NYC
— Ana (@wordsbyana) October 9, 2018
Now that Nikki Haley is out, Trump is going to appoint Ivanka to be UN Ambassador. Then he’s going to dump Pence in 2020 on the ticket for Ivanka. And it will be just like House of Cards.
— Scott Challeen (@ScottChalleen) October 9, 2018
I’ve been saying this for years, check my history on FB and Twitter, Ivanka Trump will be selected to replace Nikki Haley! Then in 8 years she will run for President. It’s all part of the Master Plan. Guess what, Ivanka has the “stuff” to succeed.
— George Bliss (@geobliss) October 9, 2018
Game theory predictions: Lindsey Graham to AG, Nikki Haley to replace Graham, Ivanka to replace Nikki. 👀 pic.twitter.com/2KeB42CHkN
— Allicat ⚜️⚜️⚜️ (@allicat1214) October 9, 2018
Prediction: Ivanka will step in to replace Nikki Haley, get some "foreign policy" experience to add to her resume as they continue to prep her for a run for President / continuation of the "Trump Dynasty". Possibly even in 2020, Trump may not run again so he doesn't have the loss
— Scott Brown (@ScottBrownDC) October 9, 2018
Ugh. Nikki Haley resigned as U.N. Ambassador and now the media is speculating that Ivanka Trump will take the position. The ultimate in privilege, particularly of the unqualified. Nausea. Just one more sign that our country has crashed and continues to burn.
— Christine Rodriguez (@CRodLaw) October 9, 2018
Can you IMAGINE if Nikki Haley is replaced by Ivanka Trump???? OMFG
— Doreen “Sorry, not sorry” 🌊🦈 (@DiagnoDee) October 9, 2018
Even if it is Ivanka Trump, the position still needs to be confirmed by the Senate.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).