- Daenerys’ passive-aggressive smile is a very relatable meme Tuesday 11:18 PM
- Kentucky food truck repurposes ‘LGBTQ’ to support Trump, BBQ Tuesday 8:47 PM
- Trump complains about his Twitter follower count to Jack Dorsey Tuesday 6:34 PM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ sticks the devastating landing—and gives you time to grieve Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Teen hits Apple with $1 billion lawsuit over alleged face recognition arrest Tuesday 4:48 PM
- John Cornyn tried to attack Patton Oswalt for his old tweets and failed miserably Tuesday 4:29 PM
- Logan Paul is selling a pillow of his dead dog—for a good cause Tuesday 4:04 PM
- Study: Too much Netflix, not enough ‘chill’ Tuesday 3:36 PM
- Pete Buttigieg under fire for saying incarcerated Americans shouldn’t be allowed to vote Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Vine’s co-founder is beta testing a new app called Byte Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Report: Joe Biden’s first 2020 fundraiser will be with a Comcast executive Tuesday 2:49 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sabrina’ appears to have an art-copying problem (updated) Tuesday 2:47 PM
- People are crying over these cats’ window-sill romance Tuesday 2:27 PM
- The ‘I’m baby’ meme is all about being comforted Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Parody video totally nails what men are like on Tinder Tuesday 1:57 PM
You’ve never seen the George W. Bush administration quite like this before.
The U.S. National Archives recently released 365 never-before-seen photos from that fateful day. Included in the photos are then-National Security Advisor Condoleeza Rice, former Secretary of State Colin Powell, former President Bush, and other top administration officials.
The pictures, taken by the former vice president’s staff photographer, were released in response to a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request. Most of the photos were taken in the President’s Emergency Operations Center (PEOC) or during Cheney’s trip to Camp David.
Now, nearly 14 years later, you can still feel the tension in the room as America’s leaders struggled to respond to this violent change in history.
1) Vice President Cheney in the President’s Emergency Operations Center
2) President Bush, Cheney, and National Security Advisor Rice in the PEOC
3) Cheney, Rice and senior staff
4) Cheney and his wife, Lynn, in the PEOC
5) Secretary of State Colin Powell in the PEOC
6) Bush with Cheney in the PEOC
7) Cheney in the PEOC
8) Bush and Cheney talk in the PEOC
9) Cheney and Rice
10) Cheney with Rice, White House advisor Karen Hughes, and couselor to Cheney, Mary Matalin
11) CIA Director George Tenet listens to Bush address the nation
12) Bush meets with his national security team
Photo via U.S. National Archives (PD)
Once named one of Forbes’ 20 Under 20 and hired as a staff writer for the Daily Dot when he was still a senior in high school, William Turton is a rising tech reporter focusing on information security, hacking culture, and politics. Since leaving the Daily Dot in April 2016, his work has appeared on Gizmodo, the Outline, and Vice News Tonight on HBO.