- Twitter begins rolling out new desktop redesign, and users aren’t happy 5 Months Ago
- Man asks his girlfriend to ‘unlove’ her ex—and people do not agree with him 5 Months Ago
- Relive a forgotten gem with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini console Today 1:09 PM
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor Today 1:01 PM
- Graphic depiction of suicide cut from Netflix’s ’13 Reasons Why’ Today 12:55 PM
- Streaming titles seize 2019 Emmy nominations Today 12:19 PM
- ‘Frankenstein’s Monster’s Monster, Frankenstein’ tries to find humor in bad actors Today 12:02 PM
- Democratic senator calls Facebook ‘dangerous’ during Libra cryptocurrency hearing Today 11:57 AM
- How ‘Kyle’ became synonymous with angry, Monster Energy-chugging white boys Today 11:22 AM
- Nearly impossible ‘Super Mario Maker 2’ level inspires memes Today 11:16 AM
- Madonna faces backlash for posting photos of her Black daughters with watermelon Today 10:44 AM
- Biden wants to challenge Trump to a push-up contest Today 10:00 AM
- Trump continues to tweet as House gears up to condemn his racist tweets Today 9:21 AM
- Your therapist probably wouldn’t approve of this meme Today 9:06 AM
- Batman Talisman finally lets the villains rule Gotham City Today 8:22 AM
You heard him!
In a rambling Rose Garden press conference where he talked about China, fentanyl, and Ann Coulter, President Donald Trump announced that he would declare a national emergency to get the desired funding for his border wall.
Trump said he would sign a congressional spending bill averting a government shutdown and allocating over a billion dollars for border security, but that a national emergency was necessary to secure the rest of the money he wanted.
However, Trump, who has a history of contradicting himself all the time, also said: “I didn’t need to do this.”
One would think that if something was a national emergency, the president would need to do it, which is something a captivated Twitter crowd pointed out while watching his presser.
“I didn’t need to do this,” Trump says of an emergency declaration that his attorneys will have to defend in court was justified by an emergency…— Tal Kopan (@TalKopan) February 15, 2019
“I just want to get it done faster, that’s all."
Trump, questioned by @PeterAlexander, concedes there’s no national emergency to justify building his wall. “I didn’t need to do this.” “I just want to do it faster.” A gift to all the lawyers preparing to sue him.— Joyce Alene (@JoyceWhiteVance) February 15, 2019
"I didn't need to do this" is just rattling around in my brain— Katherine Miller (@katherinemiller) February 15, 2019
"I DIDN'T NEED TO DO THIS" pic.twitter.com/m3FsG9v2Kb— darth™ (@darth) February 15, 2019
Trump says he will sign a national emergency and then inexplicably admits "I didn't need to do this" about that same national emergency moments later. Holy shit. That's not going to hold up in court very well, Mr. Stable Genius.— Adam Best (@adamcbest) February 15, 2019
In the press conference, Trump noted that his national emergency was likely going to be challenged in courts. It’s also very likely his own words will be used against him.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]