- Witness the wholesome magic of inter-generational conversations on r/AskOldPeople 7 Years Ago
- How to watch Paramount Network online for free Today 5:30 AM
- People are sharing how serving in the military has ruined their lives with #WhyIServe Sunday 5:31 PM
- Gillette ad showing a dad teaching his trans son how to shave has the internet in tears Sunday 4:34 PM
- 4chan’s new troll campaign aims to make the hashtag a white supremacist symbol Sunday 2:49 PM
- Here’s what that ‘cliff wife’ meme is all about Sunday 12:58 PM
- Artist suspended from Facebook, Instagram after posting anti-MAGA artwork Sunday 12:04 PM
- How to watch Serie A online for free Sunday 7:30 AM
- What does ‘uwu’ mean? Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to uninstall the Epic Games Launcher (for real) Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Indianapolis 500 online for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Saturday 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Saturday 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Saturday 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Saturday 2:22 PM
An image macro making the rounds on Facebook juxtaposes the presidential candidate’s stance on gay marraige with his family’s history of polygamy.
Every day, the Daily Dot finds something that people on Facebook are sharing and, in turn, shares it with you—with a little explanation. Here’s today’s share.
In the wake of President Obama’s declaration of support for gay marriage, Americans are turning toward Republican hopeful Mitt Romney, who’s said in the past that for “3,000 years of recorded history […] marriage is an institution between a man and a woman.”
As many have noted, however, Romney’s ancestors practiced polygamy.
In an image macro written like a Scumbag Steve joke, the photo shows Romney waving to a crowd. The overlaid text reads:
“Says marriage has been ‘one man and one woman’ for 3,000 years / Great-great-grandfather had 12 wives.”
Parley Pratt, Romney’s great-great grandfather, is widely acknowledged to have married 12 times. Miles Park Romney, Mitt’s great-grandfather, had five wives.
The photo has been shared more than 7,000 times, and the number is steadily rising.
Romney, for his part, has condemned polygamy, and Obama has declared Romney’s religion “off limits” for his campaign. That hasn’t stopped Facebook users from partisan bickering, though.
“So was Obama’s great great grandfather on his father’s side,” Brena Easterday wrote.
Perhaps someone should read their Bible. “One man, one woman? King Solomon had 700 wives, and God allowed him to build the ‘Great Temple of Jerusalem,’” John C. Moody wrote.
Roy Sook, however, had a different angle.
“[W]e all know a perfect marriage should be one woman and a dozen men, at least,” he wrote. “[A]pparently that is what my first wife thought, that was about how many she was servicing.
Photo via Teabonics/Facebook
A former senior politics reporter for the Daily Dot, Kevin Collier focuses on privacy, cybersecurity, and issues of importance to the open internet. Since leaving the Daily Dot in March 2016, he has served as a reporter for Vocativ and a cybersecurity correspondent for BuzzFeed.