- Devin Nunes is suing Twitter over parody accounts of his mom, cow Monday 8:15 PM
- The best new movies at SXSW 2019 Monday 7:55 PM
- #AbledsAreWeird demonstrates how not to treat people with disabilities Monday 7:33 PM
- YouTubers keep uploading racist meme anthem played by New Zealand shooter Monday 5:38 PM
- Myspace confirms that a decade-plus of user-uploaded music is gone Monday 5:03 PM
- ‘Love, Death & Robots’ suffers from blatant sexism Monday 4:38 PM
- Khloe Kardashian faces backlash for Instagram post saying to ‘love thy racist neighbor’ Monday 4:07 PM
- This Twitter user wants to expose white YouTubers for racist, transphobic content Monday 3:55 PM
- Trump retweeted a QAnon supporter during his Twitter bender Monday 1:24 PM
- Katrina Pierson supports Trump tweeting more about Fox than New Zealand shooting Monday 1:19 PM
- PewDiePie’s alt-right ties are impossible to ignore Monday 1:05 PM
- With this blade, I protect this meme Monday 12:48 PM
- Lead actress in ‘The Color Purple’ revival criticized for homophobic post Monday 12:39 PM
- ‘Arrested Development’ ends the same way it did the first time—unceremoniously Monday 12:10 PM
- Alleged gunman tried to rob YouTuber Adam22 during livestream Monday 11:32 AM
An image macro making the rounds on Facebook juxtaposes the presidential candidate’s stance on gay marraige with his family’s history of polygamy.
Every day, the Daily Dot finds something that people on Facebook are sharing and, in turn, shares it with you—with a little explanation. Here’s today’s share.
In the wake of President Obama’s declaration of support for gay marriage, Americans are turning toward Republican hopeful Mitt Romney, who’s said in the past that for “3,000 years of recorded history […] marriage is an institution between a man and a woman.”
As many have noted, however, Romney’s ancestors practiced polygamy.
In an image macro written like a Scumbag Steve joke, the photo shows Romney waving to a crowd. The overlaid text reads:
“Says marriage has been ‘one man and one woman’ for 3,000 years / Great-great-grandfather had 12 wives.”
Parley Pratt, Romney’s great-great grandfather, is widely acknowledged to have married 12 times. Miles Park Romney, Mitt’s great-grandfather, had five wives.
The photo has been shared more than 7,000 times, and the number is steadily rising.
Romney, for his part, has condemned polygamy, and Obama has declared Romney’s religion “off limits” for his campaign. That hasn’t stopped Facebook users from partisan bickering, though.
“So was Obama’s great great grandfather on his father’s side,” Brena Easterday wrote.
Perhaps someone should read their Bible. “One man, one woman? King Solomon had 700 wives, and God allowed him to build the ‘Great Temple of Jerusalem,’” John C. Moody wrote.
Roy Sook, however, had a different angle.
“[W]e all know a perfect marriage should be one woman and a dozen men, at least,” he wrote. “[A]pparently that is what my first wife thought, that was about how many she was servicing.
Photo via Teabonics/Facebook
A former senior politics reporter for the Daily Dot, Kevin Collier focuses on privacy, cybersecurity, and issues of importance to the open internet. Since leaving the Daily Dot in March 2016, he has served as a reporter for Vocativ and a cybersecurity correspondent for BuzzFeed.