- Did the Space Force logo rip off Star Trek? Friday 6:24 PM
- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides Friday 3:25 PM
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Friday 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Friday 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Friday 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Friday 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Friday 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Friday 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Friday 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Friday 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Friday 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Friday 10:30 AM
- Report: Jack Dorsey declined to host a fundraiser for Tulsi Gabbard Friday 10:22 AM
- Bernie Sanders plugs Joe Rogan endorsement—and women are furious Friday 10:04 AM
- Young woman using TikTok to document the end of her life says she’s dying next week Friday 8:43 AM
Mike Gravel, the former U.S. senator and octogenarian meme star, who became a hit after teens took over his Twitter account and launched a presidential campaign, dropped out of the 2020 race this weekend.
Although he reached some of the polling thresholds, Gravel was not invited to any of the 2020 presidential debates, where he had announced he would challenge U.S. imperialism and centrism.
Today, Gravel made his official 2020 endorsement, favoring the most left candidate in the field, unsurprisingly putting his support behind Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.)
"I am proud and honored to endorse Senator Bernie Sanders for the presidency of the United States." pic.twitter.com/Y7uf8ebbhD— Mike Gravel (@MikeGravel) August 6, 2019
Sanders thanked Gravel for the endorsement and pledged to take on his preeminent fight: ending forever wars.
Thank you Senator Gravel. Together we will end forever wars, fight for an economy that works for all of us, and bring millions of people into the political process. https://t.co/U2irbrMm0q— Bernie Sanders (@BernieSanders) August 6, 2019
Farewell, Mike Gravel. The memes were too good.
- Internet darling Mike Gravel might make the next presidential debate
- Teen meme king Mike Gravel officially enters 2020 race with throwback ad
- Former Alaska senator launches meme-filled 2020 primary campaign
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]