- Game developer Chucklefish accused of whitewashing characters of color Monday 5:22 PM
- Apple TV’s ‘Hala’ is a silent explosion of a coming-of-age film Monday 5:20 PM
- This new video game apparently lets you play Jesus Monday 4:02 PM
- Golden toilet creator sells world’s most expensive banana—only for another artist to eat it Monday 3:24 PM
- This new Chinese video game lets players attack Hong Kong protesters Monday 3:05 PM
- These TikTok videos that recreate NPC interactions from Skyrim are honestly incredible Monday 2:40 PM
- John Legend defends pro-consent ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ lyrics Monday 2:38 PM
- Video shows UC Berkeley student using racial slurs, making homophobic comments Monday 2:36 PM
- New video reveals Brother Nature instigated sandwich shop fight Monday 2:06 PM
- Lizzo’s thong dress breaks the internet Monday 1:25 PM
- Pixel Buds 2 or Apple AirPods 2: Which are right for you? Monday 1:09 PM
- It’s 2019: Make your holiday cards online, for free this year Monday 12:47 PM
- Fighting over the ‘Marriage Story’ fight scene becomes a meme Monday 12:41 PM
- ‘Trump is innocent!’: InfoWars correspondent interrupts impeachment hearing Monday 12:12 PM
- Video shows runner smacking reporter’s butt on live TV Monday 11:46 AM
Last night, the White House released its official guest list for the State of the Union and in it was a boy named “Trump.”
Joshua Trump, to be precise.
In December, the story of Joshua Trump went around the web. The Wilmington, Delaware, boy said he was relentlessly bullied at school for having the same last name as President Donald Trump. Joshua’s parents said kids at his school “curse at him, they call him an idiot, they call him stupid,” all for his name. The harassment, they said, was so relentless they homeschooled Joshua for a year.
According to ABC, Trump returned to school in January under a different last name. But now he’s gonna be thrust in the national spotlight as a guest of Melania Trump, who has started a campaign against cyberbullying as First Lady.
Naturally, people thought this choice was ironic, as her husband enthusiastically ridicules his opponents whenever he has the opportunity.
I can’t wait for Joshua to meet Low IQ Maxine Waters, Crying Chuck Schumer, Crooked Hillary, Pocahontas, Da Nag Blumenthal, Lyin Ted, Little Marco, and Kenyan Born Barack Obama. Be Best!— Tony Posnanski (@tonyposnanski) February 5, 2019
But the choice to bring Joshua Trump has a larger significance, coming as a debate rages in the nation over whether people can publicly support the president, given his tone and rhetoric around immigration and people of color.
Supporters of the president naturally disagree with this assessment and believe the hat falls within their right to free expression.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]