- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October 5 Months Ago
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Today 9:10 AM
- Mysterio’s ruse changes on a second viewing of ‘Far From Home’ Today 9:06 AM
- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension Today 8:49 AM
- How to live stream Liga MX Today 7:56 AM
- The QBaby’s parents are already trying to profit off their kid’s fame Today 7:45 AM
- How do 4DX movies work? Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Terminator 2’s John Connor will return for ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ Today 6:41 AM
- What are all these ‘Game of Thrones’ fans supposed to do now? Today 6:00 AM
- The new ‘Cats’ trailer is here to make you want to claw your eyes out Thursday 7:59 PM
- Bella Thorne claims Tana Mongeau ‘broke girl code’ in a series of messy tweets Thursday 7:00 PM
- Redditors keep this data engineer’s plants alive for him Thursday 5:20 PM
- Professor writes article defending ‘Asian romantic preference’—and no one is here for it Thursday 4:57 PM
- Ditch Pornhub and support adult content creators instead Thursday 4:46 PM
- Fans grieve Kyoto Animation Studio fire with #PrayforKyoAni Thursday 4:18 PM
Frederic Legrand - COMEO/Shutterstock (Licensed)
Last night, the White House released its official guest list for the State of the Union and in it was a boy named “Trump.”
Joshua Trump, to be precise.
In December, the story of Joshua Trump went around the web. The Wilmington, Delaware, boy said he was relentlessly bullied at school for having the same last name as President Donald Trump. Joshua’s parents said kids at his school “curse at him, they call him an idiot, they call him stupid,” all for his name. The harassment, they said, was so relentless they homeschooled Joshua for a year.
According to ABC, Trump returned to school in January under a different last name. But now he’s gonna be thrust in the national spotlight as a guest of Melania Trump, who has started a campaign against cyberbullying as First Lady.
Naturally, people thought this choice was ironic, as her husband enthusiastically ridicules his opponents whenever he has the opportunity.
I can’t wait for Joshua to meet Low IQ Maxine Waters, Crying Chuck Schumer, Crooked Hillary, Pocahontas, Da Nag Blumenthal, Lyin Ted, Little Marco, and Kenyan Born Barack Obama. Be Best!— Tony Posnanski (@tonyposnanski) February 5, 2019
But the choice to bring Joshua Trump has a larger significance, coming as a debate rages in the nation over whether people can publicly support the president, given his tone and rhetoric around immigration and people of color.
Supporters of the president naturally disagree with this assessment and believe the hat falls within their right to free expression.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]