- Man dragged for recording, posting video of neighbor being ‘killed’ instead of helping Today 4:14 PM
- How to stream Saints vs. Bears in Week 7 Today 3:25 PM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Ravens in Week 7 Today 3:25 PM
- Are TikTok teens throwing up gang signs in their videos? Today 2:45 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters believe ‘deep state’ tried to sabotage rally Today 12:51 PM
- How to stream 49ers vs. Redskins in Week 7 Today 12:00 PM
- How to stream Cardinals vs. Giants in Week 7 Today 12:00 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Raiders in Week 7 Today 12:00 PM
- How to stream Vikings vs. Lions in Week 7 Today 12:00 PM
- How to stream Rams vs. Falcons in Week 7 Today 12:00 PM
- Billie Eilish fans think they figured out who stole her ring Today 11:32 AM
- ‘Give me candy’: Hailey Bieber mocked for defense of celebrating Halloween as a Christian Today 10:28 AM
- Aaron Paul predicted Jesse Pinkman’s fate on Reddit years ago Today 8:53 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Eli’ is a satisfyingly nasty blend of haunted houses and medical horror Today 7:00 AM
- Why 8chan’s founder is fighting to keep the infamous message board dead Today 6:30 AM
Last night, the White House released its official guest list for the State of the Union and in it was a boy named “Trump.”
Joshua Trump, to be precise.
In December, the story of Joshua Trump went around the web. The Wilmington, Delaware, boy said he was relentlessly bullied at school for having the same last name as President Donald Trump. Joshua’s parents said kids at his school “curse at him, they call him an idiot, they call him stupid,” all for his name. The harassment, they said, was so relentless they homeschooled Joshua for a year.
According to ABC, Trump returned to school in January under a different last name. But now he’s gonna be thrust in the national spotlight as a guest of Melania Trump, who has started a campaign against cyberbullying as First Lady.
Naturally, people thought this choice was ironic, as her husband enthusiastically ridicules his opponents whenever he has the opportunity.
I can’t wait for Joshua to meet Low IQ Maxine Waters, Crying Chuck Schumer, Crooked Hillary, Pocahontas, Da Nag Blumenthal, Lyin Ted, Little Marco, and Kenyan Born Barack Obama. Be Best!— Tony Posnanski (@tonyposnanski) February 5, 2019
But the choice to bring Joshua Trump has a larger significance, coming as a debate rages in the nation over whether people can publicly support the president, given his tone and rhetoric around immigration and people of color.
Supporters of the president naturally disagree with this assessment and believe the hat falls within their right to free expression.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]