- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con 8 Months Ago
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Today 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
- The crushing effects of Trump’s abortion ‘gag rule’ on healthcare Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman Saturday 6:20 AM
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC on ESPN 4: Rafael dos Anjos vs. Leon Edwards Saturday 5:49 AM
- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
Melania Trump dismisses the haters trolling her over holiday decor
First lady Melania Trump responded on Wednesday to the all the trolling over her White House Christmas decor this week by simply dismissing the haters.
As far as Trump is concerned, the decorations are on point—and an avalanche of Twitter memes won’t change her opinion.
“We are in 21st century and everybody has a different taste,” Trump told reporters, according to BuzzFeed News. “I think they look fantastic. In real life, they look even more beautiful.”
Trump unveiled her theme and design for the White House Christmas decorations on Monday in a one-minute long trailer only to be mocked online for some of her bolder choices, specifically the dozens of red “blood trees” lining the corridors of the east colonnade.
The new White House Christmas decorations video is here, and this time Melania’s installed a whole hallway full of... (checks notes)... blood trees? pic.twitter.com/UjOxnnqa7x— William Bibbiani (@WilliamBibbiani) November 26, 2018
The internet grabbed hold of the image, which made instant meme material, and found all kinds of creative comparisons to horror media like The Shining and The Handmaid’s Tale.
Checking out FLOTUS decorations at the White House like... pic.twitter.com/J0hcBD3DvG— Young Democrats of America (@youngdems) November 26, 2018
Decorator: Okay, so we want to avoid looking like the entrance to the White Witch's Narnian castle like we did last year.— Approximately Jane (@sgtjanedoe) November 26, 2018
Melania: What about red?
Decorator: Sure, red ornaments are cheerful!
Melania: No. The trees. Red.
Melania: Like the blood of my enemies. pic.twitter.com/hOuDYFT8Om
TOUR GUIDE: Has anyone seen the children? There was supposed to be an entire 3rd grade class in here.— Mark Lisanti (@marklisanti) November 27, 2018
MELANIA: What childrens?
BLOOD TREE: [Belches] pic.twitter.com/tD2zmBl3U5
AIDE: There’s this perception you don’t care about children, so we need to—— Jason O. Gilbert (@gilbertjasono) November 26, 2018
MELANIA: Get me the blood-red nightmare Christmas trees with NO ORNAMENTS OR PRESENTS pic.twitter.com/2F3jv8oyAO
Melania's trees or car wash. pic.twitter.com/XaJu1k9MDP— GogynyDe (@gogynyde) November 26, 2018
Maybe we just need to see them in “real life.”
- Melania Trump’s red Christmas trees evoke more horror than holidays
- The best Donald Trump memes on the internet
- The best Joe Biden memes that stand the test of time
H/T BuzzFeed News
David Gilmour is a reporter who specializes in national politics, internet culture, and technology. He previously covered civil liberties, crime, and politics for Vice.