- This woman told two students to ‘speak English’ and people are not having it Friday 9:53 PM
- Iconic 1968 drag documentary ‘The Queen’ finally released on Netflix Friday 9:29 PM
- This TikTok account for Chancellor Palpatine is hilarious Friday 8:43 PM
- Did the Space Force logo rip off Star Trek? Friday 6:24 PM
- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides Friday 3:25 PM
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Friday 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Friday 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Friday 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Friday 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Friday 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Friday 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Friday 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Friday 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Friday 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Friday 10:30 AM
When speaking with the Daily Mail, Meat Loaf, whose real name Marvin Lee Aday, said he feels for “that Greta.”
“She has been brainwashed into thinking that there is climate change and there isn’t,” he said. “She hasn’t done anything wrong, but she’s been forced into thinking that what she is saying is true.”
Many online are pointing out that, because Meat Loaf peaked in the ’70s, it is unlikely the 17-year-old even knows who the rock musician even is.
“I imagine @GretaThunberg hearing about Meat Loaf for the first time and having a good laugh,” Twitter user @AllanaHarkin wrote.
I’ve never heard of this meat loaf before lol I thought it was talking about actual meat loaf pic.twitter.com/AMjdHHtY4r— Erika Reyes (@confusduckling) January 4, 2020
Others are poking fun at Meat Loaf’s expertise–or lack thereof–in climate science.
“Don’t know whether to believe all the scientists who have studied the impact of current climate change and published their findings across a number of academic and scientific journals or Meat Loaf who is a fully grown man named after Meat Loaf,” Twitter user @ToggerGuru joked.
climate change expert meat loaf https://t.co/iAjeCrXXAw— jordan (@JordanUhl) January 4, 2020
Noted climatologist, Meat Loaf, weighs in on Greta Thunberg. https://t.co/msBjfHzGC5— The Hoarse Whisperer (@HoarseWisperer) January 4, 2020
Renowned scientist Meat Loaf https://t.co/TVB6l91leX— Michelle (@SoSofieFatale) January 4, 2020
Who to believe: 97% of the scientific community or a dude named Meat Loaf? Tough call! https://t.co/NGpVACTgN7— Adam Best (@adamcbest) January 4, 2020
Don’t know whether to believe all the scientists who have studied the impact of current climate change and published their findings across a number of academic and scientific journals or Meat Loaf who is a fully grown man named after Meat Loaf https://t.co/wyHHEpKAVK— ToggerGuru (@ToggerGuru) January 4, 2020
oh good i was hoping meat loaf would weigh in on this https://t.co/0FJ1IZ6AqO— Myke Cole (@MykeCole) January 4, 2020
Meat Loaf began to trend on Twitter–notably under the “food” category.
It’s important to note that Meat Loaf is trending in the food category. pic.twitter.com/DCTQ8JJ7cO— poopsie (@jylekohn) January 4, 2020
One user took the moment to expose Meat Loaf’s alleged, past dietary habits.
“I worked at the grocery store Meat Loaf shopped at as a teenager. This was ~1984 (yeah, I’m old). At the time he lived off entire shopping carts full of Stouffer’s frozen dinners,” Twitter user @emptywheel wrote.
I worked at the grocery store Meat Loaf shopped at as a teenager. This was ~1984 (yeah, I'm old).— emptywheel (@emptywheel) January 4, 2020
At the time he lived off entire shopping carts full of Stouffer's frozen dinners. https://t.co/CPVbBkKzMc
Meat Loaf’s comments come after Australia’s bushfires sparked international interest. The fires, which have been ravaging parts of the continent since September, are being exacerbated by climate change.
In the same interview, Meat Loaf described himself as a “sex god.” He also recently went vegan but is keeping his meaty moniker. So, maybe, the public should just take his comments with a grain of salt.
Eilish O’Sullivan is the news wire editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in the Austin Chronicle and the Daily Texan.