- Ocasio-Cortez met a famous drag queen–and the right melted down Wednesday 6:09 PM
- Woman says Lyft driver tried to kidnap her Wednesday 5:18 PM
- Debunking the right-wing conspiracy theories from today’s impeachment hearing Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Maroon 5 approves of the latest TikTok trend Wednesday 3:54 PM
- ‘One month left in the decade’ meme wants to know what you’ve accomplished Wednesday 3:53 PM
- Facebook Pay is the latest way to send your friends money Wednesday 3:31 PM
- Diving into ‘The Mandalorian’s first big shocker Wednesday 3:17 PM
- Disney+ will allow password sharing—to an extent Wednesday 1:12 PM
- Black server says manager refused to discipline coworkers who sent racist receipt Wednesday 12:47 PM
- Who is Jonah Hauer-King, Disney’s new Prince Eric? Wednesday 12:47 PM
- Cut Katherine Langford ‘Avengers: Endgame’ scene lands on Disney+ Wednesday 12:22 PM
- Planned Parenthood app to show abortion-seeking users their nearest options Wednesday 12:21 PM
- ‘The Imagineering Story’ offers touching insight into Walt Disney’s vision Wednesday 11:57 AM
- YouTube mom who was charged with child abuse dead at 48 Wednesday 11:39 AM
- Every Marvel Cinematic Universe movie and show missing from Disney+ (and when they’ll show up) Wednesday 11:35 AM
Due to the sensitive nature of some information and testimony, House Democrats made the decision to hold hearings into President Donald Trump’s conduct on Ukraine with the House Intelligence Committee and keep them classified from the public.
Whether that is the right decision for hearings that could wind up with the removal of the president is up for debate. What isn’t though is the fact that Republicans are definitely involved. The House Intelligence Committee has nine Republican members, all of whom are free to attend hearings surrounding the investigation.
But that isn’t good enough for Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), perhaps the biggest Trump defender in all of Congress. He has been upset at being left out of the inquiry, and today announced he was leading a charge to storm the Secure Compartmentalized Intelligence Facility (SCIF) where the hearings are being held.
Matt Gaetz says he’s about to lead this phalanx of House Republicans into the SCIF to check out what’s going on with the whole impeachment thing pic.twitter.com/iFyxqMgcsr— Sam Brodey (@sambrodey) October 23, 2019
His army of elderly white Republican men at his side quickly became the subject of mockery.
this picture just told me that women aren’t funny https://t.co/XWuq4zAgjz— aída chávez (@aidachavez) October 23, 2019
Such uniformity in that phalanx! https://t.co/Voy792uBhU— Cheryl Rofer (@CherylRofer) October 23, 2019
A shockingly lovely photo here. The angelic woman looking over all the men with the halo around her. https://t.co/q5jToqSATo— Sam Stein (@samstein) October 23, 2019
It appears Matt was unable to recruit a single woman to this effort. https://t.co/qoxG0DRxW7— Tim Miller (@Timodc) October 23, 2019
Everything is always so embarrassing https://t.co/qFfOGEZ1EI— Patrick Monahan (@pattymo) October 23, 2019
Gaetz is still searching for Captain Kangaroo.https://t.co/Aho6swjXEl— Julia Davis (@JuliaDavisNews) October 23, 2019
How Republicans ask for a manager at Burger King. https://t.co/JdeDHmI2TI— Naveed Jamali (@NaveedAJamali) October 23, 2019
🎶 Do you hear the people sing, singing the song of angry (white) men 🎶 https://t.co/Kz8dIujYU7— David Litt (@davidlitt) October 23, 2019
tfw Brooks Brothers is fresh out of seersucker https://t.co/2sf3KCnoya— Peter Cilella (@petercilella) October 23, 2019
According to Andrew Desiderio, Politico‘s congressional reporter, Gaetz was successful in storming the SCIF but may have compromised it by bringing in cell phones.
NEWS: Source tells me that after House Republicans tried flooding the SCIF with non-committee members, “many brought their cell phones too into the classified area.”— Andrew Desiderio (@AndrewDesiderio) October 23, 2019
“Stand off in progress,” source adds.
Laura Cooper’s deposition is currently on hold while Republicans remain inside the SCIF apparently trying to negotiate a settlement with Schiff.— Andrew Desiderio (@AndrewDesiderio) October 23, 2019
Source tells me the SCIF is now being swept because of the cell phone violations.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]