- ‘You’ star confirms his character is queer and ‘never will be’ straight 3 Months Ago
- This Twitch streamer pooped his pants during a broadcast 3 Months Ago
- Apple’s iCloud encryption plan halted amid FBI pressure, report Today 10:57 AM
- Glenn Greenwald charged with cybercrimes in Brazil Today 10:48 AM
- BadBunny rips her fans for not sending her enough money Today 10:06 AM
- White rapper punched in the face for saying the N-word during battle Today 9:21 AM
- Hillary Clinton blasts Bernie Sanders, says ‘nobody likes him’ Today 8:57 AM
- Someone found Harry Styles’ doppelganger—and TikTok is obsessed Today 8:08 AM
- Patrick Stewart has spoken to Kevin Feige about playing Professor X again Today 7:16 AM
- ‘Shrill’ season 2 expands its world and point of view Today 7:00 AM
- Trans/Sex: Let trans art be messy, weird, and uncomfortable Today 6:00 AM
- Pediatrician gets death threats after pro-vaccine TikTok video Monday 9:37 PM
- This Australia-themed dildo is raising money to fight the bushfires Monday 8:26 PM
- Influencers say they’ve received unwanted sexual solicitations worth thousands Monday 7:39 PM
- Pregnant woman masterfully trolls gender-obsessed relative Monday 3:05 PM
Due to the sensitive nature of some information and testimony, House Democrats made the decision to hold hearings into President Donald Trump’s conduct on Ukraine with the House Intelligence Committee and keep them classified from the public.
Whether that is the right decision for hearings that could wind up with the removal of the president is up for debate. What isn’t though is the fact that Republicans are definitely involved. The House Intelligence Committee has nine Republican members, all of whom are free to attend hearings surrounding the investigation.
But that isn’t good enough for Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), perhaps the biggest Trump defender in all of Congress. He has been upset at being left out of the inquiry, and today announced he was leading a charge to storm the Secure Compartmentalized Intelligence Facility (SCIF) where the hearings are being held.
Matt Gaetz says he’s about to lead this phalanx of House Republicans into the SCIF to check out what’s going on with the whole impeachment thing pic.twitter.com/iFyxqMgcsr— Sam Brodey (@sambrodey) October 23, 2019
His army of elderly white Republican men at his side quickly became the subject of mockery.
this picture just told me that women aren’t funny https://t.co/XWuq4zAgjz— aída chávez (@aidachavez) October 23, 2019
Such uniformity in that phalanx! https://t.co/Voy792uBhU— Cheryl Rofer (@CherylRofer) October 23, 2019
A shockingly lovely photo here. The angelic woman looking over all the men with the halo around her. https://t.co/q5jToqSATo— Sam Stein (@samstein) October 23, 2019
It appears Matt was unable to recruit a single woman to this effort. https://t.co/qoxG0DRxW7— Tim Miller (@Timodc) October 23, 2019
Everything is always so embarrassing https://t.co/qFfOGEZ1EI— Patrick Monahan (@pattymo) October 23, 2019
Gaetz is still searching for Captain Kangaroo.https://t.co/Aho6swjXEl— Julia Davis (@JuliaDavisNews) October 23, 2019
How Republicans ask for a manager at Burger King. https://t.co/JdeDHmI2TI— Naveed Jamali (@NaveedAJamali) October 23, 2019
🎶 Do you hear the people sing, singing the song of angry (white) men 🎶 https://t.co/Kz8dIujYU7— David Litt (@davidlitt) October 23, 2019
tfw Brooks Brothers is fresh out of seersucker https://t.co/2sf3KCnoya— Peter Cilella (@petercilella) October 23, 2019
According to Andrew Desiderio, Politico‘s congressional reporter, Gaetz was successful in storming the SCIF but may have compromised it by bringing in cell phones.
NEWS: Source tells me that after House Republicans tried flooding the SCIF with non-committee members, “many brought their cell phones too into the classified area.”— Andrew Desiderio (@AndrewDesiderio) October 23, 2019
“Stand off in progress,” source adds.
Laura Cooper’s deposition is currently on hold while Republicans remain inside the SCIF apparently trying to negotiate a settlement with Schiff.— Andrew Desiderio (@AndrewDesiderio) October 23, 2019
Source tells me the SCIF is now being swept because of the cell phone violations.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]