- Facebook removing Instagram Story filters that mimic plastic surgery 4 Months Ago
- Mom solves ‘ghost baby’ image mystery after viral post Today 1:23 PM
- Elon Musk tweeted ‘through space’ Today 1:16 PM
- Don’t want a Fitbit? These step tracker apps got you covered Today 12:51 PM
- Protesters sing ‘Baby Shark’ to soothe frightened toddler Today 12:47 PM
- Who is Babu Frik, the adorable, teeny mechanic from ‘Rise of Skywalker’? Today 12:36 PM
- Senators push for social media data portability Today 12:11 PM
- ‘Stage Fright’ is a therapeutic lens into Jenny Slate’s weird world Today 11:34 AM
- Congressmen call on Twitter to shut down accounts for Hamas, Hezbollah Today 11:12 AM
- How to stream Lakers vs. Clippers Today 11:02 AM
- Popular Twitch streamer banned for something he didn’t even say Today 10:13 AM
- What is going on with C-3PO in the final trailer for ‘The Rise of Skywalker’? Today 10:04 AM
- Amazon’s facial recognition misidentified Boston athletes as criminals Today 9:08 AM
- Trump sparks outrage by calling impeachment ‘lynching’ Today 8:58 AM
- Rose Tico returns in the final ‘Rise of Skywalker’ trailer Today 8:44 AM
One of the perennial softball questions that debate contestants can expect to be lobbed their way is “what would be your first act as president?”
Author and spirituality guru Marianne Williamson had one of the most surprising answers of all time.
She could’ve said she would close the border camps. She could’ve promised free college, or socialized medicine, or repealing Citizens United.
Instead, she said her first act as commander-in-chief would be to call … New Zealand.
Williamson called it the best place for a child to grow up and wanted America to be the same. But, people were understandably confused.
MODERATOR: In one or two words, what would your first act as President be?— The Daily Show (@TheDailyShow) June 28, 2019
BERNIE: Special interests
MARIANNE WILLIAMSON: I was reading a wonderful article in GOOP about New Zealand,
Me listening to Marianne Williamson declare war on New Zealand. pic.twitter.com/IpYicwBSkk— R. Eric Thomas (@oureric) June 28, 2019
Kamala Harris: Joe Biden is a racist.— William (@weelyumeebokway) June 28, 2019
Joe Biden: Kamala is police.
Marianne Williamson: The fifth Harry Potter book is really the glue that holds the entire series together. Do you recall the part where #DemDebate
Nobody:— Jemele Hill (@jemelehill) June 28, 2019
Not a soul:
Marianne Williamson: My first act as president, I’m calling New Zealand.
Marianne Williamson calling New Zealand to talk about harnessing love: pic.twitter.com/T2mYjc94WL— Nick Jack Pappas (@Pappiness) June 28, 2019
Marianne Williamson said he first thing she would do in office was to call the prime minister of New Zealand.— Chris Cillizza (@CillizzaCNN) June 28, 2019
This is not a test.
OH MY GOD MARIANNE WILLIAMSON IS PRACTICALLY SCAT-SINGING ABOUT NEW ZEALAND.— Emily Nussbaum (@emilynussbaum) June 28, 2019
But, hey, at least she didn’t say she’d call Russia.
- Kamala Harris grills Biden over segregationist remarks
- Does Joe Biden know how to raise his hand?
- 2 more 2020 Dems call for abolishing private insurance
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Claire Goforth is a Jacksonville, Florida-based journalist covering politics, culture, justice, and unicorns. Her work has appeared in publications ranging from regional alt-weeklies to Al Jazeera.