- Cooking Mama’s return whips up a fresh batch of memes Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Influencer body-shames model, Photoshops photo of self to ‘prove point’ Tuesday 7:27 PM
- Boosie Badazz goes on transphobic rant about Dwyane Wade’s daughter Tuesday 6:34 PM
- Royal Family’s website accidentally links to porn instead of charity Tuesday 5:39 PM
- Republican senator spreads false conspiracy about coronavirus Tuesday 5:11 PM
- New DNA technology could help exonerate Black man serving life sentence Tuesday 4:24 PM
- ‘SNL’s’ Kenan Thompson to host the White House Correspondents’ Dinner Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Summer Walker dragged for insensitive HIV comments Tuesday 2:39 PM
- This video of a teddy bear getting steam cleaned makes a perfect meme Tuesday 2:27 PM
- Ted Cruz goes on Twitter tirade over proposed vasectomy bill Tuesday 2:22 PM
- Billie Eilish says she’s stopped reading Instagram comments Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Christian group blames satanists for Twitter poll results Tuesday 1:41 PM
- Coronavirus has pandemic-themed video games topping charts Tuesday 12:58 PM
- Bloomberg said kids are drawn to socialism because they think it involves social media Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Jake Paul gives ill-informed advice on how to deal with anxiety Tuesday 12:25 PM
House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) then interjected, calling for secrecy. “No leaks… this is how we know we’re a real family here.”
Ryan and McCarthy were both coming from separate talks at the U.S. capitol with Ukranian Prime Minister Volodymyr Groysman, who detailed Russia’s political hacking campaigns in Eastern Europe.
The conversation came a day after news broke alleging that Russia hacked the Democratic National Committee. When McCarthy brought the hacking up, he claims the research obtained by the opposition on Trump had been delivered to Trump himself.
Ryan, McCarthy, Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.), Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.), and Republican Conference Chairman Cathy McMorris Rodgers were among those in the conversation. The following is a part of the Washington Post‘s recording:
“I’ll guarantee you that’s what it is… The Russians hacked the DNC and got the opp [opposition] research that they had on Trump,” McCarthy said, laughing.
Ryan asked who the Russians “delivered” the opposition research to.
“There’s… there’s two people, I think, Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” McCarthy said before adding: “Swear to God.”
“This is an off-the-record,” Ryan said.
“No leaks, alright?” Ryan said, adding: “This is how we know we’re a real family here.”
“What’s said in the family stays in the family,” Ryan added.
The offices of both Ryan and McCarthy initially told the Post that this report was “fiction,” before the Post said it had it on tape. They then said it was merely an “inappropriate joke.”
H/T Washington Post
Nidia Cavazos is a multimedia journalist with an emphasis on political reporting. She's contributed to Univision, KXAN, and USA Today College, and she was named one of six NBC Fellows by the National Association of Hispanic Journalists in 2017.