- Keanu Reeves could join the MCU, according to Kevin Feige 1 Year Ago
- How to watch the U.S. women vs. Sweden online for free Today 7:00 AM
- What were these QAnon fans doing posing at Guantanamo Bay? Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the 2019 NBA Draft online for free Today 6:00 AM
- Ta-Nehisi Coates dismantles Mitch McConnell’s anti-reparations argument Wednesday 7:52 PM
- Whoopi Goldberg stirs debate over her opinion regarding Bella Thorne’s nudes Wednesday 7:04 PM
- Joe Biden really, really hates raves Wednesday 6:02 PM
- RIP to the Twitter geotagging feature that no one actually used Wednesday 5:14 PM
- Facebook contractors reveal the horrors of moderating graphic content Wednesday 4:42 PM
- Prosecutor almost directly quoted Bible in trial against man who helped migrants Wednesday 4:05 PM
- TikTok’s time warp videos get it twisted Wednesday 4:03 PM
- Is a ‘Stranger Things’ and Fortnite crossover event going to happen? Wednesday 3:55 PM
- YouTube reportedly thinking about moving all kids content off the main site Wednesday 3:50 PM
- AOC calls out Democrats for tone-deaf Beyoncé tweet Wednesday 3:15 PM
- Democrat candidates come out as ‘wife guys’ Wednesday 2:45 PM
Kentucky Democrat reclaims state House seat in district that Trump won by landslide
A former Democrat Kentucky legislator has reclaimed her state House seat in a rural district that overwhelmingly voted for President Donald Trump in 2016.
According to the Courier Journal, Rep. Linda Belcher took 68.45 percent of the vote in a special election against Rebecca Johnson for Kentucky House District 49.
The two vied for the seat vacated by Johnson’s husband, the late Rep. Dan Johnson, who died by suicide in December after an investigative reporting team published a story saying he had molested a teenager at the church where he was a pastor, and linked him to arson cases and alcohol violations, also at the church. Johnson denied the allegations and took his life two days later.
Following his death, his wife immediately announced she’d run to replace him.
Belcher had previously held the district House seat from 2008 to 2012, then from 2014 to 2016, when she lost to Johnson by 150 votes, less than one percentage point. She ran for the seat after her late husband, Democratic Rep. Larry Belcher, died in a car accident in October 2008, replacing him on the ballot after his death.
H/T the Hill
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.