- Experts warn of uptick in ‘Ryuk’ ransomware after hackers net $3.7 million Wednesday 7:03 PM
- Video game composer boycotts Gillette after anti-toxic masculinity ad Wednesday 6:05 PM
- Steve Carell sitcom ‘Space Force’ heading to Netflix Wednesday 5:30 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez’s ‘run train’ phrase becomes conservative sex controversy Wednesday 5:25 PM
- ‘Into’ is a reminder that queer businesses can be hurt by straight leaders Wednesday 5:13 PM
- TSA agents are the latest tool in the government shutdown meme war Wednesday 4:22 PM
- YouTube still hosting bestiality images year after crackdown pledge Wednesday 4:13 PM
- YouTuber quits fight after Darth Vader fan film claimed by Disney Wednesday 3:26 PM
- Millions of Fortnite accounts exposed via Epic Games website exploit Wednesday 2:26 PM
- A man found a camera in his Airbnb and the company didn’t seem to care Wednesday 2:00 PM
- A redditor planted an Easter egg in Hulu’s Fyre Fest doc Wednesday 1:51 PM
- This new revelation about Woody from ‘Toy Story’ will blow your mind Wednesday 1:35 PM
- Dave Rubin fails to delete Patreon on livestream to delete Patreon Wednesday 1:14 PM
- The ‘some of y’all… and it shows’ meme is taking over Twitter Wednesday 12:24 PM
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ begins season 2 on a cheerful note Wednesday 11:49 AM
Trump, Kushner, and Kanye West will meet for lunch on Thursday.
Trump and Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law, will meet with West on Thursday to discuss a myriad of topics, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said.
“Kanye West is coming to the White House to have lunch with President Trump and he will also meet with Jared Kushner,” Sanders said, according to pool reports. “Topics of discussions will include manufacturing resurgence in America, prison reform, how to prevent gang violence, and what can be done to reduce violence in Chicago.”
The meeting between the three men comes amid political tensions that have crossed over into the music world. West has been outspoken in support of Trump lately and his politics have prompted other musicians to speak up.
After praising West, right-wing personalities criticized singer Taylor Swift for her endorsement of Phil Bredesen over Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) in the state’s U.S. Senate race next month. Swift’s post appears to have ignited many people to register to vote.
West, meanwhile, was praised by conservatives after he went on an off-air rant praising Trump during the season premiere of Saturday Night Live late last month. During the speech, West was wearing a “Make America Great Again” hat.
The president himself weighed in on the rant the day after SNL aired.
“Like many, I don’t watch Saturday Night Live (even though I past hosted it) – no longer funny, no talent or charm. It is just a political ad for the Dems. Word is that Kanye West, who put on a MAGA hat after the show (despite being told ‘no’), was great. He’s leading the charge!” he wrote.
Like many, I don’t watch Saturday Night Live (even though I past hosted it) – no longer funny, no talent or charm. It is just a political ad for the Dems. Word is that Kanye West, who put on a MAGA hat after the show (despite being told “no”), was great. He’s leading the charge!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 30, 2018
The news of the upcoming lunch between Trump and the rapper was met with bemusement online.
Reassuring to know Trump is getting serious about prison reform and reducing gang violence by having a private meeting with… Kanye West.
— Jennifer Bendery (@jbendery) October 9, 2018
Kanye is already practicing for his 2020 election by being the secret president for Donald Trump. #TuesdayThoughts
— janus (@HEXAMIS) October 9, 2018
— Evan McKenzie (@evanmck) October 9, 2018
— Garett Press (@garettpress) October 9, 2018
Maybe Kanye will use his example and talk Trump into deleting his social media accounts.
A guy can dream.
— Fred. (@freeloosedirt) October 9, 2018
Others noted the rift with Swift.
Those same Republicans blasting Taylor Swift for poking her nose into politics and demanding she ‘stick to music’ are the same ones overcome with joy and support at Kanye West speaking up for Trump.
— Mike P Williams (@Mike_P_Williams) October 9, 2018
So Kanye gets a meeting to talk about issues, but Taylor Swift gets told to shut up when she speaks her opinion?? Makes total sense. Not even taking political sides here, it’s literally is dumb.
— Opie Neff (@opieneff) October 9, 2018
Republicans yesterday: Taylor Swift is a pop star, no one cares what she thinks. She should shut up & play music.
Republicans today: Kanye is meeting with Trump & Kushner to advise them. isn't that fantastic?!?!
— Kimma (@Kimma_S) October 9, 2018
*elects reality TV star as POTUS*
“Dear Taylor Swift, celebrities have no place in politics kindly STFU”
“OMG. OMG. OMG. Kanye is having lunch with Trump. DRAGON ENERGY BITCHEZZZZ!” pic.twitter.com/cLqWXmrp1r
— Schatz (@schatz_rashad) October 9, 2018
This is the hypocrisy I see with most of the #MAGA #Trump supporters:
Praise Kanye for his coming out and support of @realDonaldTrump.
Tells @taylorswift13 to “keep out of politics” when she tells her base who she’s voting for but encourages them to vote based on their beliefs.
— Jarod Thompson (@JarodNotJared) October 9, 2018
In May, Kim Kardashian, West’s wife, went to the White House, where she spoke to the president and successfully lobbied him to commute the sentence of a grandmother serving a lengthy sentence for a non-violent drug offense.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).