- A police union is urging its officers to post ‘The Punisher’ logo Monday 7:33 PM
- Redditors call for a Nestlé boycott through memes Monday 6:16 PM
- How a 10-second Disney jingle became a meme in Thailand Monday 4:48 PM
- Instagram users share photos showing gruesome killing of 17-year-old Bianca Devins Monday 4:33 PM
- The horror game banned for mocking China’s president probably isn’t coming back Monday 3:31 PM
- Cheap vibrators, condoms, and lube: The most satisfying Amazon Prime Day deals Monday 3:07 PM
- George R.R. Martin says fan backlash won’t affect his ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Monday 3:03 PM
- The very finest Area 51 memes Monday 2:52 PM
- Tweet map ranks states where people are boycotting Amazon Prime Day Monday 1:54 PM
- Lil Nas X says he will perform at Area 51 for free Monday 12:56 PM
- The best Prime Day deals for gamers Monday 12:53 PM
- How Republicans are dancing around Trump’s racist tweets Monday 12:42 PM
- Not even anti-immigrant groups are defending Trump’s ‘go back’ tweets Monday 12:37 PM
- Netflix’s latest chase thriller ‘Point Blank’ lacks electricity Monday 12:27 PM
- Jay Inslee floats Megan Rapinoe as his secretary of state pick Monday 11:33 AM
Trump, Kushner, and Kanye West will meet for lunch on Thursday.
Trump and Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law, will meet with West on Thursday to discuss a myriad of topics, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said.
“Kanye West is coming to the White House to have lunch with President Trump and he will also meet with Jared Kushner,” Sanders said, according to pool reports. “Topics of discussions will include manufacturing resurgence in America, prison reform, how to prevent gang violence, and what can be done to reduce violence in Chicago.”
The meeting between the three men comes amid political tensions that have crossed over into the music world. West has been outspoken in support of Trump lately and his politics have prompted other musicians to speak up.
After praising West, right-wing personalities criticized singer Taylor Swift for her endorsement of Phil Bredesen over Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) in the state’s U.S. Senate race next month. Swift’s post appears to have ignited many people to register to vote.
West, meanwhile, was praised by conservatives after he went on an off-air rant praising Trump during the season premiere of Saturday Night Live late last month. During the speech, West was wearing a “Make America Great Again” hat.
The president himself weighed in on the rant the day after SNL aired.
“Like many, I don’t watch Saturday Night Live (even though I past hosted it) – no longer funny, no talent or charm. It is just a political ad for the Dems. Word is that Kanye West, who put on a MAGA hat after the show (despite being told ‘no’), was great. He’s leading the charge!” he wrote.
Like many, I don’t watch Saturday Night Live (even though I past hosted it) - no longer funny, no talent or charm. It is just a political ad for the Dems. Word is that Kanye West, who put on a MAGA hat after the show (despite being told “no”), was great. He’s leading the charge!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 30, 2018
The news of the upcoming lunch between Trump and the rapper was met with bemusement online.
Reassuring to know Trump is getting serious about prison reform and reducing gang violence by having a private meeting with... Kanye West.— Jennifer Bendery (@jbendery) October 9, 2018
Kanye is already practicing for his 2020 election by being the secret president for Donald Trump. #TuesdayThoughts— janus (@HEXAMIS) October 9, 2018
Maybe Kanye will use his example and talk Trump into deleting his social media accounts.— Fred. (@freeloosedirt) October 9, 2018
A guy can dream.
Others noted the rift with Swift.
Those same Republicans blasting Taylor Swift for poking her nose into politics and demanding she ‘stick to music’ are the same ones overcome with joy and support at Kanye West speaking up for Trump.— Mike P Williams (@Mike_P_Williams) October 9, 2018
So Kanye gets a meeting to talk about issues, but Taylor Swift gets told to shut up when she speaks her opinion?? Makes total sense. Not even taking political sides here, it’s literally is dumb.— Opie Neff (@opieneff) October 9, 2018
Republicans yesterday: Taylor Swift is a pop star, no one cares what she thinks. She should shut up & play music.— Kimma (@Kimma_S) October 9, 2018
Republicans today: Kanye is meeting with Trump & Kushner to advise them. isn't that fantastic?!?!
GOP 2016:— Schatz (@schatz_rashad) October 9, 2018
*elects reality TV star as POTUS*
“Dear Taylor Swift, celebrities have no place in politics kindly STFU”
“OMG. OMG. OMG. Kanye is having lunch with Trump. DRAGON ENERGY BITCHEZZZZ!” pic.twitter.com/cLqWXmrp1r
This is the hypocrisy I see with most of the #MAGA #Trump supporters:— Jarod Thompson (@JarodNotJared) October 9, 2018
Praise Kanye for his coming out and support of @realDonaldTrump.
Tells @taylorswift13 to “keep out of politics” when she tells her base who she’s voting for but encourages them to vote based on their beliefs.
In May, Kim Kardashian, West’s wife, went to the White House, where she spoke to the president and successfully lobbied him to commute the sentence of a grandmother serving a lengthy sentence for a non-violent drug offense.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).