- Did the Space Force logo rip off Star Trek? Friday 6:24 PM
- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides Friday 3:25 PM
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Friday 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Friday 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Friday 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Friday 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Friday 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Friday 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Friday 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Friday 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Friday 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Friday 10:30 AM
- Report: Jack Dorsey declined to host a fundraiser for Tulsi Gabbard Friday 10:22 AM
- Bernie Sanders plugs Joe Rogan endorsement—and women are furious Friday 10:04 AM
- Young woman using TikTok to document the end of her life says she’s dying next week Friday 8:43 AM
Last night, President Donald Trump shared a photo of his meeting with House Speaker Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), declaring she had a “meltdown.”
Nervous Nancy's unhinged meltdown! pic.twitter.com/RDeUI7sfe7— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 16, 2019
This morning, Pelosi added the photo to her Twitter profile.
That would have been the end of it, a fine coda to a mini-internet drama, one of 1,000 we all process and immediately forget in the natural life cycle of being online every day. But then Sen. Kamala Harris’ (D-Calif.) press secretary Ian Sams, last seen practically accusing Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) of being of Russian descent, had to go and do this.
“Time for an upgrade,” he tweeted.
Time for an upgrade. pic.twitter.com/10UHpWunEz— Ian Sams (@IanSams) October 17, 2019
Update 2:46pm CT: The post has been deleted.
That’s Harris in place of Trump, poorly photoshopped in the image, and it raises a question or two.
Like: Why is Pelosi upset at President Kamala Harris for pulling U.S. troops out of Syria?
Thankfully, this creation was meme fodder, as people online mocked it. All of who in Sams’ estimation are (probably!) also Russian operatives.
Time for an upgrade. pic.twitter.com/glshYGTWt5— Junji Ito's Oregon Trail (@aScottyMr) October 17, 2019
Time for an upgrade pic.twitter.com/Q0ERed478A— Junji Ito's Oregon Trail (@aScottyMr) October 17, 2019
Time for an upgrade pic.twitter.com/aVpRex2qK6— Junji Ito's Oregon Trail (@aScottyMr) October 17, 2019
Time for an upgrade pic.twitter.com/Npsl0AuAnE— Malak Kobbe (@Malak_Kobbe) October 17, 2019
Time for an upgrade. pic.twitter.com/8nMWDkCoxu— Jacob Bacharach (@jakebackpack) October 17, 2019
Time for an upgrade pic.twitter.com/zmGlzn4Nyg— Joseph Zucker (@JosephZucker) October 17, 2019
Time for an upgrade pic.twitter.com/CuJtxuAwCI— Jake Dabkowski (@georgewhips) October 17, 2019
Harris is polling fifth in the 2020 Democratic primary, behind Joe Biden, Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), and Mayor Pete Buttigieg.
Time for an upgrade in those polls?
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]