- Trump accuses Jewish Democrats of having ‘great disloyalty’ or a ‘lack of knowledge’ Tuesday 8:02 PM
- 1 million ‘anonymous’ users of popular porn site exposed in breach Tuesday 6:56 PM
- Khloé Kardashian angers followers with a calorie-counting joke about True Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Spider-Man may no longer be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Tuesday 5:28 PM
- Robert De Niro’s company is suing ex-employee for binge-watching Netflix at work Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Intentionally misgendering a character could get you banned from Borderlands 3 Tuesday 4:06 PM
- Facebook pulls Trump re-election ad for targeting ‘strong women’ Tuesday 4:03 PM
- Kamala Harris says she will restore net neutrality if elected Tuesday 3:16 PM
- All 8 of the ‘Rocky’ movies, ranked Tuesday 2:50 PM
- Everything you need to know about the Facebook conservative bias report Tuesday 2:35 PM
- Study links emoji use to more sex Tuesday 2:10 PM
- The chicken sandwich war is in full throttle on Twitter Tuesday 1:47 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sextuplets’ proves Marlon Wayans is no Eddie Murphy—or even Mike Myers Tuesday 1:31 PM
- Facebook is finally rolling out its clear history tool Tuesday 1:13 PM
- ‘Theater etiquette’ tweets surge after YouTuber cast in ‘Waitress’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
Yesterday was Mother’s Day, a time to show love toward your mother specifically, and offer a general appreciation for all mothers worldwide.
Unless that mother is Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), who is running for president. Yesterday, Harris’ husband posted a tweet of her whipping up a marinade for jerk chicken.
That should be the end of, well, that. Happy Mother’s Day, she’s free to celebrate it in any way she wants.
But somehow this innocuous tweet sparked two different controversies. First: Harris cooking truthers. Because the apron had a crease in it, it couldn’t be real, or regularly used by Harris. It must be a photo op.
Damn, nobody thought to throw that apron in the dryer for 5 minutes before staging this photo?— Jeffrey Voth (@Acuda4me) May 12, 2019
Ah yes the perfectly white apron that still has the crease in it from being in the package— Orange Muppet Energy (@sunnyright) May 12, 2019
While it could be an often unused apron, that doesn’t really have anything to do with how much or how often Kamala cooks. As her husband mentioned, she was in between events. It’s possible she doesn’t wear it all that often when she’s home cooking and just put it on then since she was wearing dress clothes.
But the psuedo-controversy grew to such a fervor that Harris’ comms person weighed in.
He shared his own photo of an apron to prove that yes, articles of clothing that are folded and stored can have a crease.
oh god guys, how am i going to overcome my inauthenticity: pic.twitter.com/oLPkpDbTSR— Ian Sams (@IanSams) May 12, 2019
That could have been the end of it, but some took issue with the fact that Harris was cooking on Mother’s Day Eve, versus her husband cooking for her.
Pretty alpha to make a Mother’s Day post bragging about how you make your super busy wife do the cooking https://t.co/q5PY6i0pEU— defender of númenórean-dunlendish values (@ColsBols) May 12, 2019
.... she's gotta prepare her own mother's day meal? welp. https://t.co/Vpql89rVSS— Miranda (@heathenqueer) May 12, 2019
Jerk Chicken is a great name for a man applauding his Presidential Candidate wife for making her own Mother's Day meal...JFC https://t.co/dHE3Mt4UQ4— Cali Ree (@LareeHastings) May 12, 2019
Luckily, there’s only one more Mother’s Day until the 2020 election.
- Kamala Harris is high in the polls, but short on policy so far
- Did Kamala Harris time travel when she got stoned in college?
- Why does Kamala Harris have so many fake Twitter followers?
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]