- Andrew Yang upset porn fans with his criticism of Bing Tuesday 10:34 PM
- Kamala Harris really wants Trump kicked off Twitter Tuesday 10:22 PM
- Bernie Sanders jokes he didn’t use medical marijuana before tonight’s debate Tuesday 9:47 PM
- Tulsi Gabbard says she’s not a Russian asset—which is just what a Russian asset would say Tuesday 9:20 PM
- Warren says she doesn’t have a ‘beef with billionaires’ Tuesday 8:59 PM
- Andrew Yang’s Universal Basic Income plan gets support from other candidates Tuesday 8:40 PM
- Christmas creep is real, and it’s all over Tom Steyer’s neck Tuesday 8:05 PM
- Stans are using pictures of Beyoncé to catfish sugar daddies Tuesday 7:18 PM
- Wait, who the heck is Tom Steyer? Tuesday 7:17 PM
- Teacher caught on video in racist rant put on leave without pay Tuesday 5:44 PM
- Pornhub pulls Girls Do Porn videos amid sex trafficking charges Tuesday 4:49 PM
- Gina Rodriguez sings N-word on Instagram story Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Trump Jr. mocked for Hunter Biden tweet about profiting from dad’s name Tuesday 3:58 PM
- All the holiday movies and shows coming to Netflix in 2019 Tuesday 3:48 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 7: The QB blues Tuesday 3:29 PM
Yesterday was Mother’s Day, a time to show love toward your mother specifically, and offer a general appreciation for all mothers worldwide.
Unless that mother is Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), who is running for president. Yesterday, Harris’ husband posted a tweet of her whipping up a marinade for jerk chicken.
That should be the end of, well, that. Happy Mother’s Day, she’s free to celebrate it in any way she wants.
But somehow this innocuous tweet sparked two different controversies. First: Harris cooking truthers. Because the apron had a crease in it, it couldn’t be real, or regularly used by Harris. It must be a photo op.
Damn, nobody thought to throw that apron in the dryer for 5 minutes before staging this photo?— Jeffrey Voth (@Acuda4me) May 12, 2019
Ah yes the perfectly white apron that still has the crease in it from being in the package— Orange Muppet Energy (@sunnyright) May 12, 2019
While it could be an often unused apron, that doesn’t really have anything to do with how much or how often Kamala cooks. As her husband mentioned, she was in between events. It’s possible she doesn’t wear it all that often when she’s home cooking and just put it on then since she was wearing dress clothes.
But the psuedo-controversy grew to such a fervor that Harris’ comms person weighed in.
He shared his own photo of an apron to prove that yes, articles of clothing that are folded and stored can have a crease.
oh god guys, how am i going to overcome my inauthenticity: pic.twitter.com/oLPkpDbTSR— Ian Sams (@IanSams) May 12, 2019
That could have been the end of it, but some took issue with the fact that Harris was cooking on Mother’s Day Eve, versus her husband cooking for her.
Pretty alpha to make a Mother’s Day post bragging about how you make your super busy wife do the cooking https://t.co/q5PY6i0pEU— defender of númenórean-dunlendish values (@ColsBols) May 12, 2019
.... she's gotta prepare her own mother's day meal? welp. https://t.co/Vpql89rVSS— Miranda (@heathenqueer) May 12, 2019
Jerk Chicken is a great name for a man applauding his Presidential Candidate wife for making her own Mother's Day meal...JFC https://t.co/dHE3Mt4UQ4— Cali Ree (@LareeHastings) May 12, 2019
Luckily, there’s only one more Mother’s Day until the 2020 election.
- Kamala Harris is high in the polls, but short on policy so far
- Did Kamala Harris time travel when she got stoned in college?
- Why does Kamala Harris have so many fake Twitter followers?
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]