- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. PSG in Champions League action Tuesday 5:24 PM
- No-fly zone implemented over Area 51 ahead of Alienstock festival Tuesday 5:16 PM
- TikTok accused of censoring content about Hong Kong protests Tuesday 5:04 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em, Week 3: At the Bakery Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Alex Trebek says he will be undergoing chemotherapy again Tuesday 4:27 PM
- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care Tuesday 4:19 PM
- How to stream NXT for its USA network debut Tuesday 4:12 PM
- This website will show you how AI classifies you Tuesday 3:22 PM
- School tells Black 4-year-old to cut his hair or wear a dress Tuesday 3:17 PM
- Lizzo called a ‘snitch’ for accusing Postmates runner of stealing food Tuesday 2:30 PM
Kaitlin Bennett, the Trump-loving, gun-touting social media personality, claims that someone stole $1,500 from her Newport hotel room.
Bennett, who gained online prominence for legally open-carrying an AR-10 rifle at Kent State University, announced the theft via Facebook. On her Facebook page, dubbed “Kait’s Unsafe Space,” Bennett wrote that the $1,500 was cash intended for her wedding.
“I was staying at Comfort Suites in Newport for the Trump rally in Cincinnati, and someone stole $1,500 of my wedding money while we were out of the room,” Bennett wrote. “I know an employee went into the room while we were out because I told her someone left clothes in the closet.”
When she returned to her room, Bennett says all of her cash was gone.
“I called the cops and they laughed about it and said they probably couldn’t do anything since it was cash.” Bennett noted in her Facebook post that the hotel employee was supposedly “rude to me when I checked in.”
Someone stole $1500 from that gun girl I’m laughing pic.twitter.com/KqaED3Hujm— barb (@bbybarbz) August 3, 2019
Bennett concluded her post by saying, “Now I’m $1,500 short for my wedding, and the person who did it won’t be held accountable. I’m sick to my stomach.”
Shortly after she posted the story to Facebook, it picked up steam on various social media platforms. While some sympathized with Bennett’s story, other’s made jokes at her expense.
And this is what is wrong with our country. People degrading someone all because they don’t believe in the same things. Just because someone doesn’t share the same beliefs does not mean u r any better.— Josh Yorkk (@yorkj17) August 4, 2019
Not sure when Kaitlin Bennett retweeted this, but she was robbed of $1500 while staying at a hotel. My sympathies to Ms Bennet and Rep Cummings. It is horrific to be a victim and then to have people treat it as if it were deserved. @KaitMarieox https://t.co/ttNrGtiVPw— Lin (@MorteHoeDevon) August 3, 2019
Reading these comments .. wow. She "deserved it" and people laugh cuz they disagree with someone politically. Y'all wild. Bet these same people would be all kinds of triggered if this happened to them. Smh— Ryan Rice (@rdrice28) August 4, 2019
While some flocked to Bennett’s defense, others used past statements from Bennett or President Donald Trump—who Bennett ardently supports—to mock her alleged situation. In particular, many people seized upon Bennett’s adamant support of gun rights as ammunition in their teasing. “Y’all just got robbed of 1200 bucks and you walk around strapped. Tell me again how your gun keeps you safe,” Twitter user @JasonCroswell wrote.
.@KaitMarieox was devastated someone stole her wedding dress money...— Honest American (@Honest4America) August 2, 2019
Stealing from another is wrong, no matter their political affiliation...
But knowing Kaitlin RT'd Trump's mockery of Congressman Cummings getting robbed is peak hypocrisy!!#Snowflake ❄️🤣 pic.twitter.com/6fmNfeRPuF
It’s probably because you have a shrill, annoying voice and also because you’re a joke of a journalist and no one owes you a thing.— Bruce (@NYYfan10082005) August 4, 2019
Also, why’d you delete your post about being robbed? Because you lied? Or because you realized it was karma for your retweet?
Y’all just got robbed of 1200 bucks and you walk around strapped. Tell me again how your gun keeps you safe— Jay 🇨🇦🇺🇸 (@JasonCroswell) August 4, 2019
@KaitMarieox hey kait, sorry to hear you got robbed. you should really consider carrying a gun so this doesn’t happen again— lo-fi hip hop beats listener (@Crizqo) August 3, 2019
Other’s poked holes in Bennett’s claim, noting that bringing wedding cash to a rally in another state seemed odd. “Lol I always bring my wedding savings in cash to random hotels and don’t put it in a safe…so believable,” one user wrote.
you lied about being robbed to grift a kickstarter for your wedding.— Auroraline (@auroraline) August 4, 2019
Lol I always bring my wedding savings in cash to random hotels and don’t put it in a safe...so believable— Bren (@bzig_) August 3, 2019
The irony that the little college gun idiot (@KaitMarieox ) got robbed almost immediately after re-tweeting Trump’s troll of Cummings. Karma is a cruel mistress. 10:1 she is lying her ass off so she can create a godundme to steal money from other idiots. https://t.co/mOzwOCOJ69— Jack Ryan (@actualjackryan) August 2, 2019
Why would you carry $1500 in cash ever— Sydney (@sydbug_2018) August 3, 2019
Several users also claimed that Bennett created a GoFundMe to replace the money, but, if true, it was already taken down by the time of this article’s writing.
Comfort Suites in Cincinnati did not wish to make a statement for this article. Kaitlin Bennet did not respond to a request for comment, nor did the Cincinnati Police Department.
- Kent State Gun Girl flexes MAGA hat in airport, calls TSA ‘non-essential’
- Chrissy Teigen throws shade at Logan Paul-Kaitlin Bennett pairing
- Kent State Gun Girl hosts bizarre, InfoWars-themed sleepover
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.