- What were these QAnon fans doing posing at Guantanamo Bay? 3 Years Ago
- How to watch the 2019 NBA Draft online for free 3 Years Ago
- Ta-Nehisi Coates dismantles Mitch McConnell’s anti-reparations argument Wednesday 7:52 PM
- Whoopi Goldberg stirs debate over her opinion regarding Bella Thorne’s nudes Wednesday 7:04 PM
- Joe Biden really, really hates raves Wednesday 6:02 PM
- RIP to the Twitter geotagging feature that no one actually used Wednesday 5:14 PM
- Facebook contractors reveal the horrors of moderating graphic content Wednesday 4:42 PM
- Prosecutor almost directly quoted Bible in trial against man who helped migrants Wednesday 4:05 PM
- TikTok’s time warp videos get it twisted Wednesday 4:03 PM
- Is a ‘Stranger Things’ and Fortnite crossover event going to happen? Wednesday 3:55 PM
- YouTube reportedly thinking about moving all kids content off the main site Wednesday 3:50 PM
- AOC calls out Democrats for tone-deaf Beyoncé tweet Wednesday 3:15 PM
- Democrat candidates come out as ‘wife guys’ Wednesday 2:45 PM
- Poll of best Batman actors fails to include Adam West, and fans are not happy Wednesday 2:25 PM
- ‘Pose’ producer Janet Mock lands historic Netflix deal Wednesday 1:54 PM
He was found on Saturday.
The Senior Associate Justice is believed to have died from natural causes. He was 79.
Scalia had arrived on Friday at Cibolo Creek Ranch, a resort located in the Big Bend region of West Texas, for a hunting trip. He partook in a private party at the resort with about 40 other attendees. When the justice did not attend breakfast on Saturday morning, a person working at the ranch went to check on him and found his body.
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott released a statement Saturday afternoon confirming Scalia’s passing and offering condolences to the justice’s family.
Reporters and followers of the Supreme Court expressed shock at Scalia’s death on Twitter.
Justice Scalia has passed away. We send our sincere condolences to the Scalia family.
— SCOTUSblog (@SCOTUSblog) February 13, 2016
Appointed to the Supreme Court in 1986 by President Ronald Reagan, Scalia was the longest-serving justice on the court. Prior to his appointment, Scalia was the United States Assistant Attorney General for the Office of Legal Counsel under President Gerald Ford and a judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
He leaves behind a wife, nine children, and 28 grandchildren.
Scalia’s passing leaves a vacancy on the Supreme Court. Until another justice is nominated and sworn in to the seat, 4-4 decisions made by the court result in the affirmation of the lower court decision without creating a Supreme Court precedent.
This story will be updated as we receive more info.
AJ Dellinger is a seasoned technology writer whose work has appeared in Digital Trends, International Business Times, and Newsweek. In 2018, he joined Gizmodo as the nights and weekend editor.