- Body camera shows officer boasting about arresting a 6-year-old 2 Months Ago
- Singer Duffy opens up about the rape, captivity that led her to stop singing 2 Months Ago
- Cynthia Nixon embodies feminist rage in viral video Today 3:30 PM
- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case Today 3:08 PM
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder Today 2:33 PM
- The ‘your music saved me’ meme celebrates the wackiest influences of our time Today 2:20 PM
- This guy slapped his mom’s boobs for a TikTok and, honestly, it’s exhausting Today 12:37 PM
- Jif peanut butter and Giphy have joined forces on how to pronounce ‘GIF’ Today 12:19 PM
- This dad threw a 1-year HRT party for his trans son and the internet can’t get enough of it Today 11:44 AM
- This petition wants Pornhub to be shut down for good Today 11:03 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s speech voice is suspiciously like Obama’s Today 10:56 AM
- Exposé about Bernie staffer’s Twitter leads to his firing—and an online class war Today 10:40 AM
- Netflix adds Top 10 feature to showcase what’s popular Today 10:24 AM
- YouTube permanently bans ‘news’ channel that said impeachment was ‘Jew coup’ Today 10:21 AM
- FIFA pro banned from all EA games following threatening rant Today 10:16 AM
Antivirus pioneer John McAfee has backed down after promising to eat his own penis if Bitcoin failed to reach $1 million in 2020.
The saga first began in 2017 when the eccentric technologist stated on Twitter that he would consume his “dick on national television” if the cryptocurrency didn’t hit $500,000 within three years.
if not, I will eat my dick on national television.— John McAfee (@officialmcafee) July 17, 2017
Just four months later, McAfee upped the stakes even further by predicting that the cryptocurrency would in fact reach a value of $1 million.
“When I predicted Bitcoin at $500,000 by the end of 2020, it used a model that predicted $5,000 at the end of 2017,” McAfee said. “BTC has accelerated much faster than my model assumptions. I now predict Bircoin [sic] at $1 million by the end of 2020. I will still eat my dick if wrong.”
When I predicted Bitcoin at $500,000 by the end of 2020, it used a model that predicted $5,000 at the end of 2017. BTC has accelerated much faster than my model assumptions. I now predict Bircoin at $1 million by the end of 2020. I will still eat my dick if wrong. pic.twitter.com/WVx3E71nyD— John McAfee (@officialmcafee) November 29, 2017
Fans of the businessman turned rogue presidential candidate began tracking the price of Bitcoin and the likelihood that a $1 million valuation would be reached on a site known as “The Dickening.” And as time went on, McAfee tripled down on the prediction with numerous other tweets discussing how it was mathematically impossible for Bitcoin not to reach the seven-figure sum.
But Bitcoin is far from $1 million. As of Jan. 7, the price of a single Bitcoin is just $8,097.09. And although there is still time left in 2020, McAfee announced on Twitter Saturday that the dick-eating bet was nothing more than a publicity stunt to spur interest in digital currencies.
“Eat my dick in 12 months? A ruse to onboard new users. It worked,” McAfee said. “Bitcoin was first. It’s an ancient technology. All know it. Newer blockchains have privacy, smart contracts, distributed apps and more. Bitcoin is our future? Was the Model T the future of the automobile?”
Eat my dick in 12 months?— John McAfee (@officialmcafee) January 5, 2020
A ruse to onboard new users. It worked.
Bitcoin was first. It's an ancient technology. All know it.
Newer blockchains have privacy, smart contracts, distributed apps and more.
Bitcoin is our future?
Was the Model T the future of the automobile?
When confronted by one supporter who felt the cryptocurrency enthusiast was reneging on his promise, McAfee intensely argued that anyone who actually believed him was an “idiot.”
“Wake the fuck up. What idiot thinks anyone is going to eat their own dick ever? Especially in TV!!” McAfee said. “Are you that idiot? God .. I hope none of my followers are that stupid.”
Wake the fuck up. What idiot thinks anyone is going to eat their own dick ever? Especially in TV!! Are you that idiot? God .. I hope none of my followers are that stupid.— John McAfee (@officialmcafee) January 5, 2020
Speaking with The Daily Dot, McAfee explained how it “broke my fucking heart” that people in the cryptocurrency community believed his alleged prank.
“What is wrong with you people!?” he said. “I can’t account for people’s stupidity and those who believed it, I’m sorry, I’m not responsible. It’s your mother for letting you live in her basement your whole fucking life. You’re not seeing the world. Blame your mother, not me.”
McAfee went on to point to a previous tweet in which he claimed to have had sexual intercourse with a whale in order to stress why people shouldn’t believe his outrageous claims.
“A humpback whale is 70,000 pounds, 50 fucking feet long,” McAfee began to explain. “Powerful tail that can smash ships, dive to a mile, and whose vagina is 28 feet average, underwater swimming at 6 knots.”
McAfee also discussed his presidential campaign and his support for implementing blockchain technology into the federal government to ensure fiscal transparency. When asked about the Democratic candidates, specifically fellow tech entrepreneur Andrew Yang, McAfee argued that he had “no thoughts whatsoever on any candidate, including me.”
McAfee did, however, go on to note that although he gives “a flying fuck what his platform is,” he would get behind Yang if his platform supported “anal fisting” because “it won’t matter” anyway.
Mikael Thalen is a tech and security reporter based in Seattle, covering social media, data breaches, hackers, and more.