- Netflix announces Samurai version of ‘Game of Thrones’ 11 Months Ago
- The 8-Bit Guy: Why retro tech and restoration isn’t just for ‘old white guys’ Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 MTV Awards for free Today 7:00 AM
- Why Hillary Clinton is getting blamed for a recent spate of unconnected deaths Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch Nick Jr. online for free Today 5:30 AM
- People are not falling for these ICE ‘propaganda’ photos Sunday 4:23 PM
- CLIF Bar and KIND Snacks are in a bizarre social media war Sunday 2:55 PM
- Caillou is how tall? Sunday 1:32 PM
- No, that video of a Boston Dynamics robot attacking its creators is not real Sunday 12:40 PM
- Alex Jones places $1 million bounty on culprit who planted child porn on his InfoWars server Sunday 12:03 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ star’s new Netflix prank show is receiving backlash Sunday 9:04 AM
- How to watch ‘City on a Hill’ for free Sunday 8:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Euphoria’ for free Sunday 7:00 AM
- Meet the home brewer turning beer into a case for net neutrality Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Chile at the World Cup for free Sunday 6:15 AM
Sanders says John Kelly is upset over NATO breakfast food—but no one’s buying it
White House Chief of Staff John Kelly had a sour face at the NATO summit in Brussels on Wednesday. But press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders insists he was upset over the breakfast food offerings—and definitely not over the president maligning allies.
President Donald Trump went on a rampage against Germany at a summit breakfast, saying the country is “totally controlled by Russia.” As he talked, his American table mates—particularly Kelly—shifted in their seats and looked like they wanted to crawl under rocks.
Quite interesting to watch John Kelly's face in the background as Trump says that "Germany is totally controlled by Russia." (via ABC). pic.twitter.com/qJvj30a3zv
— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) July 11, 2018
A body language expert told the Washington Post that Kelly’s conveying “he wants to be anywhere but where he is.”
But Sanders said in a statement to the Post that the chief of staff “was displeased because he was expecting a full breakfast and there were only pastries and cheese.”
People on Twitter are absolutely not buying this excuse.
Just to recap. The WH press secretary says the chief of staff was pursing his lips and looking away while Trump was talking because he was pouting over not having eggs or waffles? https://t.co/gKI21HBmYr
— Colby Itkowitz (@ColbyItkowitz) July 11, 2018
WHO AMONG US https://t.co/8GQX4ZujyA
— Hallie Jackson (@HallieJackson) July 11, 2018
Glad to hear that the Very Serious chief of staff is more worried about the breakfast offerings than a President trashing one of our most important allies. https://t.co/BToPcLgFqB
— Ben Rhodes (@brhodes) July 11, 2018
The response sounds even more bonkers when you consider Kelly’s decorated history in the U.S. Marine Corps.
Tough military guy was expecting nutella and strawberry for his breakfast. https://t.co/N3JYldmWJ0
— Navid (@NYCNavid) July 11, 2018
That is a TRUE Marine’s response. Yup! That is what General Kelly was upset about https://t.co/NjZTeukJtS
— Henry Winkler (@hwinkler4real) July 11, 2018
And if it is true that Kelly was upset over “pastries and cheese,” Sanders totally left his picky eating habits out to dry.
In the highly unlikely event this statement is true, what a mean thing to reveal about the chief of staff. https://t.co/bqqxkouW26
— David Frum (@davidfrum) July 11, 2018
H/T Business Insider
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.