- Tom Steyer calls for reparations Tuesday 9:05 PM
- Etika mural added as official PokéStop in Pokémon Go Tuesday 8:35 PM
- Debate devolves into candidates shouting ‘math’ at each other Tuesday 8:19 PM
- Bloomberg rolls his eyes when challenged over sexist comments Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Bloomberg almost accidentally claims he ‘bought’ Congress Tuesday 8:03 PM
- ‘Dick Pound’ and ‘Bisexual Men Exist’ trend together–Twitter goes wild Tuesday 7:54 PM
- James Charles receives backlash over ‘racist’ imitation of Latinx TikTok character, Rosa Tuesday 7:06 PM
- Video shows people harassing elderly Asian man while he collects cans Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO, prompting conspiracy theories Tuesday 5:53 PM
- Bhad Bhabie threatens to kill Skai Jackson amid feud involving their moms Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Body camera shows officer boasting about arresting a 6-year-old Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Duffy opens up about the rape, captivity that led her to stop singing Tuesday 3:51 PM
- Cynthia Nixon embodies feminist rage in viral video Tuesday 3:30 PM
- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case Tuesday 3:08 PM
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder Tuesday 2:33 PM
White House Chief of Staff John Kelly had a sour face at the NATO summit in Brussels on Wednesday. But press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders insists he was upset over the breakfast food offerings—and definitely not over the president maligning allies.
President Donald Trump went on a rampage against Germany at a summit breakfast, saying the country is “totally controlled by Russia.” As he talked, his American table mates—particularly Kelly—shifted in their seats and looked like they wanted to crawl under rocks.
Quite interesting to watch John Kelly's face in the background as Trump says that "Germany is totally controlled by Russia." (via ABC). pic.twitter.com/qJvj30a3zv— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) July 11, 2018
A body language expert told the Washington Post that Kelly’s conveying “he wants to be anywhere but where he is.”
But Sanders said in a statement to the Post that the chief of staff “was displeased because he was expecting a full breakfast and there were only pastries and cheese.”
People on Twitter are absolutely not buying this excuse.
Just to recap. The WH press secretary says the chief of staff was pursing his lips and looking away while Trump was talking because he was pouting over not having eggs or waffles? https://t.co/gKI21HBmYr— Colby Itkowitz (@ColbyItkowitz) July 11, 2018
WHO AMONG US https://t.co/8GQX4ZujyA— Hallie Jackson (@HallieJackson) July 11, 2018
Glad to hear that the Very Serious chief of staff is more worried about the breakfast offerings than a President trashing one of our most important allies. https://t.co/BToPcLgFqB— Ben Rhodes (@brhodes) July 11, 2018
The response sounds even more bonkers when you consider Kelly’s decorated history in the U.S. Marine Corps.
Tough military guy was expecting nutella and strawberry for his breakfast. https://t.co/N3JYldmWJ0— Navid (@NYCNavid) July 11, 2018
That is a TRUE Marine’s response. Yup! That is what General Kelly was upset about https://t.co/NjZTeukJtS— Henry Winkler (@hwinkler4real) July 11, 2018
And if it is true that Kelly was upset over “pastries and cheese,” Sanders totally left his picky eating habits out to dry.
In the highly unlikely event this statement is true, what a mean thing to reveal about the chief of staff. https://t.co/bqqxkouW26— David Frum (@davidfrum) July 11, 2018
H/T Business Insider
Kris Seavers is the IRL editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.