- Andrew Yang upset porn fans with his criticism of Bing Tuesday 10:34 PM
- Kamala Harris really wants Trump kicked off Twitter Tuesday 10:22 PM
- Bernie Sanders jokes he didn’t use medical marijuana before tonight’s debate Tuesday 9:47 PM
- Tulsi Gabbard says she’s not a Russian asset—which is just what a Russian asset would say Tuesday 9:20 PM
- Warren says she doesn’t have a ‘beef with billionaires’ Tuesday 8:59 PM
- Andrew Yang’s Universal Basic Income plan gets support from other candidates Tuesday 8:40 PM
- Christmas creep is real, and it’s all over Tom Steyer’s neck Tuesday 8:05 PM
- Stans are using pictures of Beyoncé to catfish sugar daddies Tuesday 7:18 PM
- Wait, who the heck is Tom Steyer? Tuesday 7:17 PM
- Teacher caught on video in racist rant put on leave without pay Tuesday 5:44 PM
- Pornhub pulls Girls Do Porn videos amid sex trafficking charges Tuesday 4:49 PM
- Gina Rodriguez sings N-word on Instagram story Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Trump Jr. mocked for Hunter Biden tweet about profiting from dad’s name Tuesday 3:58 PM
- All the holiday movies and shows coming to Netflix in 2019 Tuesday 3:48 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 7: The QB blues Tuesday 3:29 PM
Kelly—who replaced Reince Priebus as the chief of staff in late July, immediately canned Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci, and began limiting what right-wing news outlets Trump sees on a daily basis—has clashed with Trump, according to the New York Times. And apparently Trump recently got nasty with Kelly after an intense rally in Arizona.
After Trump reportedly laid into Kelly, the Times wrote Kelly “later told other White House staff members that he had never been spoken to like that during 35 years of serving his country. In the future, he said, he would not abide such treatment, according to three people familiar with the exchange.”
Though Kelly seems to have settled down the White House in part, the newspaper also noted that he still has to consider Trump’s disdain for being managed.
“It is inevitable that a guy who will not be contained and does not want to be handled or managed was going to rebel against the latest manager who wanted to control him,” Roger Stone, Trump’s longtime adviser, told the newspaper. “… Ultimately Donald Trump is his own man, and he’s going to resist all the control and regimented systems Kelly is trying to impose.”
The Daily Beast also reported that Kelly has sought to limit the influence of Omarosa Manigault, the Apprentice TV star who is now the communications director for the Office of Public Liaison. According to the Daily Beast, Kelly has tried to stop her from riling up Trump with negative news stories. Wrote the website: “The stories Manigault would present to Trump, often on a phone or printed out, would often enrage the president, and resulted in him spending at least the rest of the day fuming about it.”
Kelly also has physically expressed frustrations with his boss. During an unhinged Trump press conference last month in which Trump clashed with the press about his response to the Charlottesville violence, Kelly became a short-lived meme after viewers noticed his disbelieving reactions to Trump’s words.
But Kelly reportedly isn’t thinking about leaving his job, and on Friday, Trump tweeted this about Kelly.
General John Kelly is doing a great job as Chief of Staff. I could not be happier or more impressed - and this Administration continues to..— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 1, 2017
And why is Trump showing his support of Kelly?
As the Times notes, though, Kelly can’t control everything. Wrote the paper: “Kelly cannot stop Mr. Trump from binge-watching Fox News, which aides describe as the president’s primary source of information gathering.”
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.