- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
- Why Britons are tweeting ‘Little England’ in wake of the U.K. election Friday 3:22 PM
- Net neutrality advocates ask for rehearing on federal court decision Friday 2:29 PM
- Americans are sharing their #PrivateHealthLIFEhacks to help Brits Friday 2:28 PM
- Warren, Sanders, Yang pledge to skip next week’s debate over union dispute Friday 2:12 PM
- How to watch tonight’s Nets vs. Raptors matchup on NBA TV Friday 2:00 PM
- Alt-right comedian Owen Benjamin banned from Instagram over anti-Semitic memes Friday 1:55 PM
- TikTok teens are procrastinating with #FinalsWeek Friday 1:46 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ takes on a prison break in episode 6 Friday 1:30 PM
- Nick Cannon vs. Eminem battle expected to escalate after ‘off-limits’ daughter diss Friday 12:50 PM
- Laura Loomer vehemently denies being author of new Laura Loomer-themed action novel Friday 12:30 PM
- PewDiePie’s poop-inspired game gets banned by Apple Friday 11:29 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ showrunners to adapt ‘Lovecraft’ graphic novel to screen Friday 11:00 AM
- The 50 memes that defined the decade Friday 10:45 AM
- Venmo users are getting harassed with fraudulent payment requests Friday 10:38 AM
Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) is one of the fiercest supporters of President Donald Trump in Congress, launching into fiery tirades in defense of the president whenever cameras are on him.
He’s also—if you believe the numerous reports of him covering up a sex abuse scandal at Ohio State—guilty of covering up a sex abuse scandal at Ohio State. And today, another person came forward to say Jordan covered up their reporting of sexual abuse by a doctor while Jordan was an assistant wrestling coach at Ohio State.
According to a new lawsuit first reported by NBC News, a referee told Jordan that Richard Strauss, a doctor with the Ohio State athletic department, masturbated in front of a shower.
Strauss is reported to have sexually abused over 177 boys in two decades while at the school.
According to the lawsuit, when the referee told Jordan about the incident, Jordan said: “Yeah, that’s Strauss.”
The referee is now the second person to say they specifically told Jordan about abuses by Strauss. Other wrestlers have said they thought Jordan also knew but did not say they spoke to him about it.
Jordan has always vehemently denied he knew anything about it.
But given his position with the university at the time and the widespread nature of the abuse, people think that’s not true. And on Twitter, #JimJordanKnew started trending.
Anything Jim Jordan has to say about the whistleblower is going to ring a little hallow coming from a man who protected a sexual predator and denied any knowledge of what was going on. He should resign now.— Steve Redmond (@sjredmond) November 8, 2019
Some drew a comparison to the recent situation of Rep. Katie Hill (R-Calif.) who resigned as a scandal about an improper relationship with a staffer came to light.
Katie Hill resigned over a consensual affair with a staffer. Bill Clinton was impeached. Jim Jordan stood by silently while tens if not hundreds of young men entrusted to his care as their coach were subjected to sexual abuse & did nothing. https://t.co/3PXMWDmrAZ— Joyce Alene (@JoyceWhiteVance) November 8, 2019
Jordan did not respond to a request for comment from NBC News last night.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]