- Redaction error reveals ICE is paying Palantir $49 million 1 Month Ago
- People are using social media to raise awareness about the Amazon fires 1 Month Ago
- How to watch ‘Detective Pikachu’ right now 1 Month Ago
- Walmart is suing Tesla over fires at stores with solar panels 1 Month Ago
- Jeremy Renner asks nicely for Sony to let Spider-Man back in the MCU Today 2:51 PM
- The best and safest torrenting sites you should be using in 2019 Today 2:47 PM
- ‘Beyoncé’s Assistant for a Day’ creator is releasing more games on storytelling app Yarn Today 1:54 PM
- Why does everyone keep falling for that Instagram and Facebook hoax? Today 1:46 PM
- A bunch of celebrities fell for that viral Instagram hoax Today 1:17 PM
- Former Die Antwoord crew member says video shows ‘homophobic attack’ Today 1:13 PM
- How to stream all the MLS Rivalry Week matches Today 1:13 PM
- Nevada officials issue warnings for people prepping to ‘Storm Area 51’ Today 12:55 PM
- These are the 8 best fighting games available today Today 12:43 PM
- Pluto TV and the NFL launch the NFL Channel Today 12:40 PM
- Trump: ‘I am the chosen one’ Today 12:33 PM
Jim Carrey has once again taken brush to canvas to express his loathing for President Donald Trump.
In recent years, the actor who butt-talked his way into our collective unconscious used drawings to go after the president and his current and former cohorts: including Rudy Giuliani, Michael Cohen, Sean Hannity, Scott Pruitt, and others.
This morning Carrey tweeted a drawing alluding to Trump’s friendship with accused sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein.
"I've known Jeff (Epstein) for 15 years. Terrific guy. He's a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side." - Donald J. Trump pic.twitter.com/ib4l6rXlKA— Jim Carrey (@JimCarrey) July 9, 2019
For years, it was widely speculated that Epstein, a billionaire financier, operated a pedophile ring providing his rich and powerful friends with young girls for sex.
Reporting by the Miami Herald recently revealed that Epstein was accused of soliciting sex with underage girls, but managed to negotiate a stunningly lenient punishment and non-prosecution agreement with Trump’s labor secretary Alexander Acosta, then a prosecutor in Florida. The reporting included stunningly horrific details from dozens of Epstein’s alleged victims, many in their early teens when they were abused.
Trump’s relationship with Epstein was somewhat publicized during the presidential campaign. A woman came forward claiming Trump assaulted her when she was 13 in 1994 at Epstein’s house, but the news was largely lost in a sea of “grab them by the pussy” headlines.
The story has recently been revived by Epstein’s arrest on charges of sex trafficking on Saturday, which followed a judge’s order unsealing records from a case against him in a suit originally filed by right-wing blogger Mike Cernovich. Epstein pleaded not guilty.
Carrey’s latest drawing depicts Trump, Epstein and a young girl with a single tear on her cheek. In the tweet accompanying the painting, the actor/artist included this quote Trump gave New York magazine about Epstein in 2002: “I’ve known Jeff [Epstein] for 15 years. Terrific guy. He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side.”
Carrey’s painting launched a cavalcade of commentary, including both criticism and praise of his artwork.
Also unspooling in the thread were references to the bizarre conspiracy theory that Trump ran for president as part of a grand plan to take down pedophile rings, and, of course, mentions of Bill Clinton flying on Epstein’s jet and hanging out on his island.
Yesterday, Clinton’s spokesperson said that he “knows nothing” of the charges against Epstein.
Now do one with Epstein and Bill Clinton, who rode on his plane, the ‘Lolita Express,’ more than a dozen times.— Joseph Curl (@josephcurl) July 9, 2019
trump also hinted that epstein was gonna have trouble with his "island" a lot of pedo's have been taken down since trump has been in office .— OldManDavid (@davidgagnonart) July 9, 2019
Neither Bill Clinton nor Donald Trump have been implicated in this #epsteinindictment but-— John Fugelsang (@JohnFugelsang) July 9, 2019
If Clinton was found to have abused girls w/Epstein, his base would reject him.
If Trump was found to have abused girls w/Epstein, his base would reject the findings.
Plenty of people refused to lose sight of the big picture: Epstein has been accused of sex trafficking hundreds of underage girls to his buddies, a circle of friends which included the president, who is also well known for his penchant for much younger women.
Thanks @JimCarrey #DumpTrump Where is the human decency in our White House? @gop YOU SUCK- Former republican here- You are a disgusting reprehensible party, lacking compassion, decency, and heart. https://t.co/ORqepB6l5Z— Liz Hanley Raci (@britagirl) July 9, 2019
If this angers you it’s because the truth hurts sometimes. Keep doing what you do Mr Carrey.— Angel Valdez (@GiJoeValdez) July 9, 2019
Today, when asked by reporters, Trump said that he knew Epstein from Palm Beach circles, but that the two had a falling out a long time ago.
- The biggest conspiracies around Jeffrey Epstein’s arrest
- The truth about Trump and Jeffrey Epstein
- Trump’s Labor secretary nominee helped billionaire sex offender avoid federal prosecution
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Claire Goforth is a Jacksonville, Florida-based journalist covering politics, culture, justice, and unicorns. Her work has appeared in publications ranging from regional alt-weeklies to Al Jazeera.