- How to stream ROH Wrestling’s Honor For All Today 7:30 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Titans in NFL preseason action Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Good Eats: The Return’ online Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6 Today 6:00 AM
- Your best bets for finding discounted and refurbished Airpods Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Real Betis Saturday 11:31 PM
- How to stream Tottenham Hotspur vs. Newcastle Saturday 11:21 PM
- All of the ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Easter eggs discovered by fans Saturday 6:52 PM
- Every big announcement made at D23 about Disney+ Saturday 6:33 PM
- The best haunted house movies to watch online in 2019 Saturday 4:13 PM
- Andy Ngo seen laughing as Patriot Prayer members plan an attack in newly emerged video Saturday 3:59 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Bournemouth Saturday 3:25 PM
- Catholic priest allegedly spent church money on Grindr hookups Saturday 3:04 PM
- Nicolás Maduro’s English Twitter account was suspended with no public explanation Saturday 2:06 PM
- Man claims ex-girlfriend killed his dog after he broke up with her Saturday 1:02 PM
Last night, at a rally onstage in Montana, President Donald Trump cheered on the assault of a reporter, when he reminisced about Rep. Greg Gianforte (R-Mont.) tackling the Guardian‘s Ben Jacobs before a special election.
On the internet, Trump’s biggest supporters were aghast, upset, and infuriated not about that, but instead that a reporter would use a swear word in a DM on Twitter.
CNN’s Jim Acosta, a favorite of vitriol on the right for what they believe is his grandstanding and bias, sent a DM to a person on Twitter that said simply “Fuck You.”
The tweet appears to be in response to Justin Caporale, a former employee of First Lady Melania Trump, after he tweeted “Dear Diary” in response to an Acosta tweet, a popular meme on the right. The meme makes fun of Acosta’s lengthy tweets where he bemoans the behavior of the Trump administration, joking that instead of public statements, they seem more like entries in a private journal.
Dear Diary.....— justin (@justincap_) October 19, 2018
Acosta’s message ruffled feathers on the right, who frequently attack one of their least-favorite members of the White House Press Corps.
This is a very sad way for a member of the WH Press Corp to behave. https://t.co/4wgHKOkVC8— Boris Epshteyn (@BorisEP) October 19, 2018
Is it any surprise to see sewage slush from someone living in it and broadcasting it to the world as "News". What happened to Journalism as a profession? https://t.co/wjKKqvYH0v— Hassan Deedaur (@HassanDeedaur) October 19, 2018
Conservatives, it should be noted, aren’t likely appalled by Acosta’s behavior. If Sean Hannity has said “Fuck You” to a liberal critic, it would have been vociferously cheered as a righteous putdown of the left. It’s not about language or civility. It’s just because they don’t like him.
But also, don’t send DMs like that because they can be easily shared publicly.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]