- Baltimore still refuses to pay hackers who hit city with ransomware 2 Years Ago
- Net neutrality advocates slam ‘extremely troubling’ letter circulating among some House Dems Today 4:52 PM
- Moms and grandmas are infiltrating TikTok Today 4:35 PM
- Did Britain’s head Brexiter hide in a bus to avoid getting hit by a milkshake? Today 4:26 PM
- This woman who thought she saw a handmaid about to jump from a building is very relieved Today 4:18 PM
- Michael Avenatti allegedly defrauded Stormy Daniels to pay for a Ferrari Today 3:53 PM
- HBO has no plans for an Arya Stark spinoff series Today 3:28 PM
- Republicans and Democrats agree on dangers of facial recognition tech Today 3:18 PM
- Amazon is using video games and ‘swag bucks’ to incentivize workers Today 3:04 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in June Today 2:46 PM
- This Michael Jackson makeup meme is sweeping TikTok Today 2:45 PM
- Homophobic preacher wants Pete Buttigieg to renounce fisting and rimming Today 2:33 PM
- ‘The Liar, the Snitch, and the War Crimes’: Twitter roasts news of Trump Jr. book deal Today 12:36 PM
- Polar Peak in Fortnite is cracking, and players think a dragon may be beneath the ice Today 12:07 PM
- ‘Rise of Skywalker’ first look reveals mysterious new characters Today 12:00 PM
James Comey hearing inspires rampant day drinking
After you’ve caught up on the latest episode of The Handmaid’s Tale tonight, you can follow it up with the IRL dystopian drama showdown that is former FBI Director James Comey’s testimony before the Senate Intelligence House Committee. Even though the testimony is taking place Thursday morning at 10am ET, several bars across the country are opening early for customers wanting to watch it all go down with a nice cup of covfefe.
The hearing can be livestreamed on PBS and other news outlets, and will be airing on C-SPAN.
While most of the festivities will be taking place in Washington, D.C., watch parties are being planned around the country. Texas Axelrad Beer Garden in Houston is inviting patrons to come watch the testimony with $1 off its political drinks, “impeachmint” and “bad hombre,” while branding it the “Super Bowl of Washington.” In San Francisco, a few bars with be open at 6am to let customers throwback a shot (or two) of Russian vodka before the testimony.
After being fired in May, Comey was asked by the committee to testify after one of his memos leaked. Earlier today Comey released the seven-page testimony he plans on reading tomorrow during the public hearing. From it we can gather that his testimony will be centered on several memos Comey wrote after various meetings and phone calls he had with President Donald Trump. The pages read like a collection of short stories or carefully detailed scripts for an upcoming Netflix series: Trump allegedly telling Comey that he expects loyalty, or trying to allegedly absolve former national security adviser Michael Flynn from further scrutiny.
Whether you’re watching a livestream, hitting a bar, or just taking shots at your desk every time you get a Washington Post or New York Times update on your phone, by lunch break we should all be onto the next White House scandal.
Sarah Jasmine Montgomery is a Daily Dot contributor whose writing and criticism cover all things pop culture, with an emphasis on how communities of color impact physical and digital cultural spaces. Her writing and photography have also appeared in Texas Monthly, the Fader, Complex, and Billboard.