- #DogsAgainstBrexit highlights the negative impact of Brexit on pets Monday 7:44 PM
- Congress investigating whether vaping manufacturers used social media bots Monday 6:34 PM
- Influencer accuses Lisa Frank of stealing apartment design, says that’s why she’s getting evicted (updated) Monday 6:12 PM
- Brits are sharing their ‘awfully British Amazon reviews’ on Twitter Monday 4:08 PM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Panama in Concacaf Nations League play Monday 3:38 PM
- How to stream U.S. vs. Canada in the Concacaf Nations League tournament Monday 3:21 PM
- Fortnite’s black hole launches conspiracy theories and memes Monday 3:19 PM
- WeWork pulls phone booths over formaldehyde concerns Monday 3:06 PM
- Mark Zuckerberg is reportedly having private meetings with prominent conservatives Monday 3:03 PM
- Firework is a social video app with a literal twist Monday 2:46 PM
- Pro-Trump meme comedian Carpe Donktum suspended by Twitter (updated) Monday 1:35 PM
- Here are all of the Disney+ titles available to stream at launch Monday 12:52 PM
- Rumor: Apple to release $399 iPhone SE follow-up next year Monday 12:44 PM
- Sulli, K-pop star who spoke against cyberbullying, dead at 25 Monday 12:37 PM
- The latest front in Turkey’s digital war against the Kurds? Google reviews Monday 12:19 PM
Update 11:57am CT, July 23: After the Daily Dot’s story on @WohlPolitics, Twitter suspended the account.
Jacob Wohl is the gaffe gift that keeps giving.
Whether he’s using his mom’s phone to try and frame then-Special Counsel Robert Mueller with an inane lie about a sexual assault allegation, trying pretty much the same plot on Mayor Pete Buttigieg a few months later, or palling around with Laura “has iPhone, can journalism” Loomer, he and his merry gang of incompetent misfits are a geyser of hilarity in a harsh, cold world.
Naturally, few were surprised to learn of Wohl’s Twitter suspension in February. Turns out not even Jack Dorsey is willing to overlook a FRONT-PAGE USA Today interview in which you dish about your plans to interfere in the 2020 election with a slew of fake Twitter accounts. Seriously, this kid takes incompetence to that extra place.
This weekend, Wohl appears to have quietly reactivated one of his accounts, @WohlPolitics. A Twitter spokesperson confirmed to the Daily Dot that Wohl is permanently banned. So if it is him, he is in violation of the ban.
@WohlPolitics joined the world on October 7, 2016 with a series of dunks on Hillary Clinton and high-fives for WikiLeaks. Just as quickly as it appeared, on November 7, 2016, it went dark.
For two-and-a-half years it remained silent.
Then, out of nowhere, on July 21, it reemerged from dormancy to oh-so-casually retweet some transphobic garbage.
It is not entirely clear who is running the account. The admin did not immediately reply to a reporter asking whether it was being run by the same individual who used to go by @jacobawohl.
It is possible that @WohlPolitics is not the Jacob Wohl who we busted running, well, attempting to run, five fake intelligence firms.
But let’s examine the receipts.
The account follows precisely the collection of right-wing peeps that one might imagine. Among the account’s 218 followers there are the predictable deplorable-, MAGA-, and Trump-centric bios and handles.
Also following the account are David Wohl, father of Jacob, and Ernie Varitimos, a former regular on Wohl’s now-discontinued Washington Reporter podcast who also had some involvement with Bolt Intel, one of Wohl’s five “intelligence” companies. The account follows them back.
An astute observer would also note that the Twitter bio reads, “Coming to a hipster coffee shop near you,” a reference to Wohl’s favorite meme.
The account’s conduct provides further evidence of its authenticity. Such moves like calling the British people “soft,” claiming that conservative men are going to see Top Gun 2 because of “controversy marketing” or something, and a lengthy, ill-informed diatribe about how homelessness has nothing to do with a lack of affordable housing, all feels like classic Wohl.
Iran seized a British tanker— Wohl Politics (@WohlPolitics) July 21, 2019
They know that England won’t do anything about it, because England is full of SOFT people
Maybe they will allow another Quds Day parade in London to appease Iran? pic.twitter.com/KKohjxE8uy
Whoever it is, they’re having a field day retweeting themselves, calling Canada a “failed state,” and pretending like the only crime Julian Assange is accused of is “publishing news stories.” (Psst: It’s also rape.)
Can it have only been five months?
- Jacob Wohl’s latest press conference was straight-up garbage
- Far-right troll Jacob Wohl may have set up a protest against himself
- Jacob Wohl is tied to at least 5 fake intelligence firms
- Fake Buttigieg allegation the work of the far-right’s most inept trolls
- Jacob Wohl filmed himself possibly committing a crime in Ilhan Omar documentary
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Claire Goforth is a Jacksonville, Florida-based journalist covering politics, culture, justice, and unicorns. Her work has appeared in publications ranging from regional alt-weeklies to Al Jazeera.