- Tom Steyer calls for reparations Tuesday 9:05 PM
- Etika mural added as official PokéStop in Pokémon Go Tuesday 8:35 PM
- Debate devolves into candidates shouting ‘math’ at each other Tuesday 8:19 PM
- Bloomberg rolls his eyes when challenged over sexist comments Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Bloomberg almost accidentally claims he ‘bought’ Congress Tuesday 8:03 PM
- ‘Dick Pound’ and ‘Bisexual Men Exist’ trend together–Twitter goes wild Tuesday 7:54 PM
- James Charles receives backlash over ‘racist’ imitation of Latinx TikTok character, Rosa Tuesday 7:06 PM
- Video shows people harassing elderly Asian man while he collects cans Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO, prompting conspiracy theories Tuesday 5:53 PM
- Bhad Bhabie threatens to kill Skai Jackson amid feud involving their moms Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Body camera shows officer boasting about arresting a 6-year-old Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Duffy opens up about the rape, captivity that led her to stop singing Tuesday 3:51 PM
- Cynthia Nixon embodies feminist rage in viral video Tuesday 3:30 PM
- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case Tuesday 3:08 PM
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder Tuesday 2:33 PM
Hundreds of leftist protestors were planning to flood a press conference hosted by far-right trolls Jack Burkman and Jacob Wohl, according to an event page for the protest. As it turns out, that page was registered to one of Wohl’s email addresses, making this the latest in the duo’s series of hoaxes.
The page was titled “Protest Against Homophobic Bigots,” aka Burkman and Wohl. Registered attendees were directed to contact [email protected] if they had any questions. Wohl previously used that same email address to promote a petition against Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn).
The page also did not list an official event organizer.
The event, which has since been deleted, was shared from Burkman’s Twitter account.
Hundreds of leftist protestors are set to descend on our Wednesday— Jack Burkman (@Jack_Burkman) May 7, 2019
We WILL NOT surrender to the mob!
We’ve called in extra security to guard our safety and that of our
partners in the mediahttps://t.co/Y7JRo2MQ09
After Mediaite exposed the scheme, a new organizer named Amy Green Tompkins was added to the page. Tompkins has no social media trail.
The event was then flagged as fake and removed from Eventbrite’s site.
“[W]e can confirm that the activity associated with this account constituted a violation of our policy around inauthentic content,” Eventbrite’s director of communications, Amanda Livingood, told Mediaite.
Most recently, he was exposed as one of the masterminds behind a fake Pete Buttigieg sexual assault allegation. Wohl and Burkman said they were going to double down on that allegation by providing ample evidence at their press conference Wednesday.
- Fake Buttigieg allegation the work of the far-right’s most inept trolls
- Questions raised over Pete Buttigieg sexual assault allegation
- Jacob Wohl is tied to at least 5 fake intelligence firms
Alyse Stanley is a video game and culture reporter based in Virginia with words at Polygon and USGamer. When she’s not writing about memes, she edits Unwinnable’s monthly magazine. You can follow her on Twitter @pithyalyse.