- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Today 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Today 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Today 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Today 12:40 PM
- How to stream Jets vs. Patriots in Week 3 Today 12:39 PM
- 10 indie dating simulator games you should be playing Today 12:31 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Broncos in Week 3 Today 12:14 PM
- Saudi crown prince’s former adviser suspended from Twitter Today 11:57 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Dolphins in Week 3 Today 11:57 AM
- YouTuber to pay restitution after a teen fan died copying her video Today 10:36 AM
- Antonio Brown sent ‘intimidating’ texts to an accuser, including a pic of her children Today 9:38 AM
- Facebook suspended tens of thousands of apps after Cambridge Analytica scandal Today 8:24 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
Hundreds of leftist protestors were planning to flood a press conference hosted by far-right trolls Jack Burkman and Jacob Wohl, according to an event page for the protest. As it turns out, that page was registered to one of Wohl’s email addresses, making this the latest in the duo’s series of hoaxes.
The page was titled “Protest Against Homophobic Bigots,” aka Burkman and Wohl. Registered attendees were directed to contact [email protected] if they had any questions. Wohl previously used that same email address to promote a petition against Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn).
The page also did not list an official event organizer.
The event, which has since been deleted, was shared from Burkman’s Twitter account.
Hundreds of leftist protestors are set to descend on our Wednesday— Jack Burkman (@Jack_Burkman) May 7, 2019
We WILL NOT surrender to the mob!
We’ve called in extra security to guard our safety and that of our
partners in the mediahttps://t.co/Y7JRo2MQ09
After Mediaite exposed the scheme, a new organizer named Amy Green Tompkins was added to the page. Tompkins has no social media trail.
The event was then flagged as fake and removed from Eventbrite’s site.
“[W]e can confirm that the activity associated with this account constituted a violation of our policy around inauthentic content,” Eventbrite’s director of communications, Amanda Livingood, told Mediaite.
Most recently, he was exposed as one of the masterminds behind a fake Pete Buttigieg sexual assault allegation. Wohl and Burkman said they were going to double down on that allegation by providing ample evidence at their press conference Wednesday.
- Fake Buttigieg allegation the work of the far-right’s most inept trolls
- Questions raised over Pete Buttigieg sexual assault allegation
- Jacob Wohl is tied to at least 5 fake intelligence firms
Alyse Stanley is a video game and culture reporter based in Virginia with words at Polygon and USGamer. When she’s not writing about memes, she edits Unwinnable’s monthly magazine. You can follow her on Twitter @pithyalyse.