- Netflix’s ‘4L’ takes a long road trip to the Sahara 12 Months Ago
- Air Force says it’s ready to ‘protect’ Area 51 amid Facebook event buzz 12 Months Ago
- Get 50% off 23andMe DNA tests today for Prime Day 12 Months Ago
- The best Prime Day streaming deals 12 Months Ago
- ‘Veronica Mars’ season 4 is a triumphant return to form 12 Months Ago
- Indie drama ‘The Farewell’ beats ‘Avengers: Endgame’ box office record Today 7:44 AM
- Join the Unicorn Moms if you’re sick of being judged by other parents online Today 7:00 AM
- Get the Amazon Fire TV Stick for just $15 on Prime Day Today 6:51 AM
- Trump tells 4 congresswomen of color to go back to the countries they came from Sunday 4:56 PM
- Fans would like to see Andrea Arnold’s cut of ‘Big Little Lies’ Sunday 3:49 PM
- Disney’s new ‘Star Wars’ series had a budget the size of the final ‘Game of Thrones’ season Sunday 2:54 PM
- Uh-oh, we’re one step closer to having a robot army Sunday 2:20 PM
- Scarlett Johansson says she should be allowed to ‘play any person, or any tree, or any animal’ Sunday 1:06 PM
- Popular YouTube time traveler reveals true identity Sunday 11:46 AM
- Now that Disney is in charge, streaming service FX+ is on its way out Sunday 10:36 AM
Michael Vadon/Flickr (CC-BY)
Ivanka Trump’s fashion line is shutting down so she can focus on her White House duties, and shockingly, pretty much no one is sympathetic.
In a statement to NBC News, Trump said she does “not know when or if” she will ever revive the company, which shares her name.
“I do know that my focus for the foreseeable future will be the work I am doing here in Washington, so making this decision now is the only fair outcome for my team and partners,” Trump said in the statement.
The clothing line has been a source of controversy, as it appeared to conflict with President Donald Trump’s “America first” approach and trade policies. The company also faced boycotts and weak sales that pushed big-name retailers to drop her brand.
Following news of the company’s closure, people on Twitter apathetically mocked Ivanka Trump’s business acumen.
Good to know that Ivanka Trump has the same abilities of her father in terms of running companies into the ground.— Roland Scahill (@rolandscahill) July 24, 2018
Ivanka Trump is closing down her fashion line.— Cathleen Burke (@ItsMeCathi) July 24, 2018
BREAKING- Ivanka Trump is shutting down her clothing and jewelry line to focus more on being a feckless country.— Tony Posnanski (@tonyposnanski) July 24, 2018
Ivanka Trump was to fashion what Chi‑Chi's was to Mexican food.— Jeremy Newberger (@jeremynewberger) July 24, 2018
Faced with plummeting sales and retailers bailing faster than the crew of Titanic, Ivanka Trump announced today that she is closing her fashion brand.— Victor Laszlo (@Impolitics) July 24, 2018
So now the empress has no clothes either.
Some people were able to muster up the same amount of care that Ivanka Trump’s stepmother Melania had when she got dressed to visit immigrant detention centers on the border.
Ivanka Trump’s clothing line is shutting down because it’s ugly, overpriced, and nobody wants to buy it.— Emilia (@PoliticalEmilia) July 24, 2018
And I really don’t care, do you?
Others cared way more—for the immigrant kids separated from their parents, not for the loss of the fashion brand.
My thoughts on Ivanka Trump shutting down her fashion brand is that, Jesus fucking Christ, she's part of an administration that has deported nearly 500 migrant parents who were separated from their kids and may never see them again.— The Rude Pundit (@rudepundit) July 24, 2018
H/T NBC News
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.